snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Moot Court

Old 19 September 2013, 09:10 PM

Default Texas appeals court overturns 2010 money laundering conviction of ex-US House leader

A Texas appeals court tossed the criminal conviction of former U.S. House Majority Leader Tom DeLay on Thursday, saying there was insufficient evidence for a jury in 2010 to have found him guilty of illegally funneling money to Republican candidates.

The Texas 3rd Court of Appeals said prosecutors failed to prove that the money being laundered was illegally obtained, which the court said was required for a money laundering conviction.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...890_story.html
Old 19 September 2013, 09:35 PM

Judge

Quote:
The lone dissent was Chief Justice Woodie Jones, the only Democrat on the six-member appeals court.
*sigh* I used to think judges were at better at the 'above' politics thing.
Old 19 September 2013, 09:37 PM

You ain't from Texas are you?
Old 19 September 2013, 10:53 PM

I have relatives in Texas, but they're actually Democrats....

I read a book a while back, I think it was by the staff of the Washington Post, going through all the details of the 2000 Florida recount business. Of all the dozens of officials at all levels - state, county, federal - IIRC, exactly two voted or made decisions that were contrary to the interest of their own party (one Democrat, one Republican, as it happens). Of course, many of the people who acted in ways that aligned with their party's interest surely believed they were acting properly according to the law and the facts, but it's pretty clear that in many cases - to be charitable - their affiliation biased their interpretation.