snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Diversions > Urban Legends Contest

Closed Thread

Old 04 April 2017, 01:11 PM

7. They all have mountain ranges called the Alps?
Old 04 April 2017, 01:27 PM

1. Mumps.

2. New York.

3. Shoegaze.

4. Ivory.

5. Joan of Arc.

6. No idea.

7. I'm not sure, but I'm suspecting something like the name of a geological feature.
Old 04 April 2017, 02:14 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOf3 View Post
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. The MMR vaccine is by far the least effective (only 78 percent, with one dose) at preventing which of the three childhood diseases?
mumps, measles & rubella.ETA: I misread the question. My answer is rubella.
Quote:

2. The entire length of the Erie Canal runs through what U.S. state?
NY, IIRC.
Quote:

3. What rock genre, often traced back to the 1988 My Bloody Valentine record Isn't Anything, was named for the introspective and motionless stage presence of its performers, who often avoided eye contact with the audience?
Emo, I assume. Interesting about the last bit. I saw a video of Siouxie & the Banshees from a TV show and one of the members was definitely avoiding eye contact with the camera, 10 years before MBV.
Quote:

4. What material is engraved by scrimshaw artists?
Ivory. Walrus tusks in particular, I believe.
Quote:

5. What iconically famous woman, nicknamed "La Pucelle," is the principal villain of Shakespeare's Henry VI, Part 1?
His mother. The French princess that King Hal married. Of course I don't remember her name.
Quote:

6. Since 2011, when the field last expanded, how many teams play in the NCAA basketball tournament ever year?
64? Goes to show how much attention I pay to March Madness.
Quote:

7. In addition to central Europe, what unusual distinction is shared by all these places? Australia, Greenland, Japan, Norway, Scotland, South Korea, Turkey, the United States, and the Moon.
Something that 1/3 of the world shares with the moon, huh? They reflect light into space.

Seaboe
Old 04 April 2017, 03:33 PM

Icon401

Quote:
1. The MMR vaccine is by far the least effective (only 78 percent, with one dose) at preventing which of the three childhood diseases?

3. What rock genre, often traced back to the 1988 My Bloody Valentine record Isn't Anything, was named for the introspective and motionless stage presence of its performers, who often avoided eye contact with the audience?

5. What iconically famous woman, nicknamed "La Pucelle," is the principal villain of Shakespeare's Henry VI, Part 1?

6. Since 2011, when the field last expanded, how many teams play in the NCAA basketball tournament ever year?

7. In addition to central Europe, what unusual distinction is shared by all these places? Australia, Greenland, Japan, Norway, Scotland, South Korea, Turkey, the United States, and the Moon.
1. Measles, I guess.
2. New York
3. Shoe Gaze?
4. Walrus tusks?
5. Joan of Arc
6. 68 (60 guaranteed plus 8 play-in teams for the last 4 slots)
7. Something about craters, maybe?
Old 04 April 2017, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Ooh! I know this one through personal experience! mumps
Quote:
Pensylvania
Quote:
Emo
Quote:
Scrimshaw
Quote:
Quote:
Enjoy!
Thank you, I will!
Old 04 April 2017, 04:44 PM

Quote:
[hijack] Unfortunately, this is one of the things that the anti-vaxxers key on - "It's only 80% effective! Is that worth the risk of autism?" (hint - yes, considering the risk of autism due to vaccines is 0%) 80% effective means that only 20% of the people could get it, so it is only spread 20% as much as it used to be, and that of the people exposed, only 20% will contact it, so we're down to 4% of the prior levels. Now, throw that through a few cycles, and it's damned near 100% effective across all of society if everyone gets vaccinated. Bunch of nfbsking idiots.
Old 04 April 2017, 07:46 PM

Glasses

Slight hijack, sorry, but the good Dr.'s tirade reminded me--the anti-floride people tried suing because of the toxic substance in their water. I'm happy to say they lost (any further discussion will be in unhijackable, assuming anyone is interested).

Seaboe
Old 05 April 2017, 03:37 PM

1. The MMR vaccine is by far the least effective (only 78 percent, with one dose) at preventing which of the three childhood diseases? Rubella?

2. The entire length of the Erie Canal runs through what U.S. state? New York

4. What material is engraved by scrimshaw artists? Ivory or bone, usually from marine animals? I imagine that there will be some disagreement over this one. As far as I know, there isn't one hard-and-fast correct answer, although there are a few materials that are typical.

5. What iconically famous woman, nicknamed "La Pucelle," is the principal villain of Shakespeare's Henry VI, Part 1? Joan of Arc

6. Since 2011, when the field last expanded, how many teams play in the NCAA basketball tournament ever year? 64?
Old 05 April 2017, 06:56 PM

Baseball

1. We have a measles outbreak in Halifax right now in the news, and I know the percentage for the single dose for measles is quite a bit higher (as reported), so I'm going with mumps.

2. Easy one for me, New York

3. Is Zombie a genre?

4. Not a clue. Wood?

5. The Flea! Jeanne d'Arc

6. I constantly hear of that tourney from 16 downwards, so I'm going to say 32.

7. I'm at a loss. Places where Alan Shepard has golfed?
Old 05 April 2017, 07:42 PM

Glasses

Oooh, I like UEL's answer to #7. I don't care whether it's right or not.

Seaboe
Old 05 April 2017, 08:37 PM

Gopher is right on #7. I am positive about the Moon and the US fitting his answer, and that combined with the setup of "in addition to central Europe" makes me completely confidant.
Old 05 April 2017, 08:44 PM

Well, I got the spirit of it at least...

(eta) And I also think that if UEL's answer isn't true, then it should be.
Closed Thread