snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Diversions > Urban Legends Contest

Closed Thread

Old 22 April 2014, 11:21 AM

LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS

1. Behind-the-scenes drama on what TV hit has led to the exit of its first two showrunners, Frank Darabont and then Glen Mazzara? The Walking Dead has had more than its share of walking producers.

2. What does the 'I' stand for in IPA, a term used since 1829 to refer to a hoppy style of beer? IPA beers are "India Pale Ale."

3. What's the only continent without an active volcano? Australia hasn't had an eruption since Mt. Gambier, five hours southeast of Adelaide, blew its top about 4,500 years ago.

4. Between 330 and 323 BC, who was both king of Persia and Pharaoh of Egypt? He was also the ruler of Macedon and "King of Asia": Alexander the Great. Three continents, real triple threat.

5. What cause is represented by a popular bumper sticker symbol: two horizontal yellow rectangles placed one atop the other on a blue square background? That's the logo for the Human Rights Campaign, and symbolizes LGBT equality.

6. What tree's bark has been used as a pain reliever for thousands of years, because it contains salicin, a precursor to aspirin? Aspirin was derived from willow trees.

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these novels? Breakfast of Champions, Gossip Girl, Lolita, The Lovely Bones, Main Street, The Monkey's Raincoat, The Power and the Glory, Tintin in Tibet. Each has a character who shares his or her surname with a fish: Kilgore Trout, Chuck Bass, John Ray, Susie Salmon, Guy Pollock, Joe Pike, Mr. Tench, and Captain Haddock.

LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS

1. Behind-the-scenes drama on what TV hit has led to the exit of its first two showrunners, Frank Darabont and then Glen Mazzara? The Walking Dead has had more than its share of walking producers.

2. What does the 'I' stand for in IPA, a term used since 1829 to refer to a hoppy style of beer? IPA beers are "India Pale Ale."

3. What's the only continent without an active volcano? Australia hasn't had an eruption since Mt. Gambier, five hours southeast of Adelaide, blew its top about 4,500 years ago.

4. Between 330 and 323 BC, who was both king of Persia and Pharaoh of Egypt? He was also the ruler of Macedon and "King of Asia": Alexander the Great. Three continents, real triple threat.

5. What cause is represented by a popular bumper sticker symbol: two horizontal yellow rectangles placed one atop the other on a blue square background? That's the logo for the Human Rights Campaign, and symbolizes LGBT equality.

6. What tree's bark has been used as a pain reliever for thousands of years, because it contains salicin, a precursor to aspirin? Aspirin was derived from willow trees.

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these songs? "Long Black Veil" by The Band, "Golden Hours" by Brian Eno, "Grey Seal" by Elton John, "Little Green" by Joni Mitchell, "Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain" by Willie Nelson, "White" by Frank Ocean, "Computer Blue" by Prince, "Orange Crush" by REM, "Pink Thing" by XTC, and (sort of) "Blackbird" by the Beatles.

Enjoy!
Old 22 April 2014, 11:53 AM

Whalephant

Well the ansrews for 1-6 will be a piece of cake for me this week!
Old 22 April 2014, 01:39 PM

#7 -Funny because SO and I were trying to come up with songs that fit this "unusual distinction" during a road trip on Sunday.

Answer: Each song has a color in the title, and is also on an album that has a color in the title of the Album - (Computer Blue is on Purple Rain; Orange Crush is on Green; Long Black Veil is on Songs from Big Pink, Little Green is on Blue etc. Blackbird is a "sort of" because it's on the White Album, which really isn't called the white album...)
Old 22 April 2014, 02:11 PM

Glasses

Well, my answer to #7 is that the narrator of each song is dead. Which I know isn't right, but is irresistible.

Seaboe
Old 22 April 2014, 02:20 PM

Easiest week ever. It's almost like he's giving you the answers.
Old 22 April 2014, 02:23 PM

Try these, they may be more challenging.

. What's the more common name for the biblical practice of lapidation, experienced by Naboth in 1 Kings 21 and Stephen in Acts 6?

2. Which historic county of England has a white rose on its flag?

3. Because the Packers were playing the Steelers, Super Bowl XLV, in 2011, was the first Super Bowl in at least four decades not to feature what?

4. There are two world heads of state who were also prime ministers of their respective countries before beginning their current term as president. Name either one.

5. A medical therapy called CPAP is used to help patients do what?

6. The world's three largest luxury automakers are all headquartered in what country?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these TV shows? Breaking Bad, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Dawson's Creek, Desperate Housewives, Dexter, How I Met Your Mother, Inspector Morse, Lost, The L Word, Rescue Me, Roseanne, and (maybe) The Sopranos.
Old 22 April 2014, 02:32 PM

3. Because the Packers were playing the Steelers, Super Bowl XLV, in 2011, was the first Super Bowl in at least four decades not to feature what?
Cheerleaders, I think.
Old 22 April 2014, 02:38 PM

Baseball

1. What's the more common name for the biblical practice of lapidation, experienced by Naboth in 1 Kings 21 and Stephen in Acts 6? Huntin' wabbits

2. Which historic county of England has a white rose on its flag? York

3. Because the Packers were playing the Steelers, Super Bowl XLV, in 2011, was the first Super Bowl in at least four decades not to feature what? Good football

4. There are two world heads of state who were also prime ministers of their respective countries before beginning their current term as president. Name either one. Vlad the Putin

5. A medical therapy called CPAP is used to help patients do what? Sleep without snoring or stopping breathing

6. The world's three largest luxury automakers are all headquartered in what country? The UK

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these TV shows? Breaking Bad, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Dawson's Creek, Desperate Housewives, Dexter, How I Met Your Mother, Inspector Morse, Lost, The L Word, Rescue Me, Roseanne, and (maybe) The Sopranos. I have not seen a single episode of any of these shows. So, I'll guess based upon my reading of posts about television on the board here: They all have normalised some social taboo in their shows.

1. What's the more common name for the biblical practice of lapidation, experienced by Naboth in 1 Kings 21 and Stephen in Acts 6?

Stoning.

Guessing York.

No idea.

4. There are two world heads of state who were also prime ministers of their respective countries before beginning their current term as president. Name either one.

Vladimir Putin.

Breathe while they sleep.

6. The world's three largest luxury automakers are all headquartered in what country?

Germany.

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these TV shows? Breaking Bad, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Dawson's Creek, Desperate Housewives, Dexter, How I Met Your Mother, Inspector Morse, Lost, The L Word, Rescue Me, Roseanne, and (maybe) The Sopranos.

They all feature the death of the main character?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
1. What's the more common name for the biblical practice of lapidation, experienced by Naboth in 1 Kings 21 and Stephen in Acts 6?
stoning
Quote:
Lancashire (I can never remember which side had red and which side had white in the War of the Roses)
Quote:
I would be tempted to say a dome, but Super Bowl sites are not based on the teams involved, so I will guess cheerleaders
Quote:
Putin, whom I believe was president, then prime minister, then president again.
Quote:
breathe
Quote:
Deutschland
Quote:
They have been named by politicians as their favorite shows
Old 22 April 2014, 05:01 PM

Quote:

Thanks, Lainie. Obviously I didn't double-check after I posted. However, I think you accidentally posted this week's question 7 instead of last week's. Maybe we should hold off discussion of that one until next week?
Old 22 April 2014, 05:06 PM

Ooops, my bad, yes.
Old 22 April 2014, 05:16 PM

I'm hardly in a position to criticize. I posted last week's answers twice!
Old 22 April 2014, 06:51 PM

Glasses

Quote:
stoning
Quote:

York
Quote:

Mascots
Quote:

Well, Obama isn't one of them.
Quote:

breathe
Quote:

Germany
Quote:

Hey, there's actually one on there I've seen! Though that can't be the unusual distinction, alas.

Seaboe
Old 22 April 2014, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillas View Post
7. What unusual distinction is shared by these TV shows? . . .
They all feature the death of the main character?
I think you almost have it, only I would add: in the series finale
Closed Thread