snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Military

Old 04 April 2014, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
There might be some advantage in letting the enemy know you've seen through their disguise in that they'd abandon that fake airfield and set up another one somewhere else, tying up some transportation resources.
I disagree. If you know the enemy is trying to deceive you, you let them keep doing it (that is trying but failing to deceive you). Kind of like when you break a code, not only do you not tell the other side you've broken it, you even consider allowing yourself to suffer some "disadvantages" (perhaps even loss of life) to ensure that they don't realize something is up.

And if you find out the other side has broken YOUR codes, you don't just abruptly switch and cease all traffic on the old code if there is a chance you can use it to plant misinformation. The answer to deception is more deception, not less.
Old 04 April 2014, 06:12 PM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
Just a point, practice bombs have to weigh the same as real bombs. Otherwise, they don't carry as far so the practice isn't very instructive. Bombs are dropped from from moving airplanes and where they land is affected by their density and wind resistance.
Not quite true. Even today, our modern day "practice ammunition" for aircraft delivery, artillery delivery and rocket delivery, are what are called sub-calibre. In other words, smaller, lighter and cheaper. Yes, they are more affected by local meteorlogical conditions, but they are typically used to practice procedures, rather than accuracy. In order to practice accuracy, you practice with the real thing.

Even during WWII, they used practice bombs. My hometown was a major training centre for the Commonwealth Air Training Plan and housed part of the bombing school. Just to the northwest was the full bombing school. Anyways, they dropped metal bombs about the size of a coffee can weighing in about 8 pounds. The bomb was aerodynamically shaped with a hole in the back where a phosphorous tracer was placed to allow for tracking the round by the bombardier. Just to the west of my home town, a fall dance was ruined by it being bombed by a bunch of these practice bombs. The lights from the dance were accidentally confused by the aircrew as the target on their range and they dropped their ordnance. They killed one person.

So, in WWII and nowadays, practice munitions are all round us.
Old 04 April 2014, 09:37 PM

So who are going to trust on a question like this? The guy who works with real artillery and bombs or the guy who read a book once?
Old 04 April 2014, 09:45 PM

Baseball

I don't trust myself some days.
Old 04 April 2014, 09:46 PM

Reading

Wars are won in library reading rooms, not on battlefields.
Old 04 April 2014, 10:24 PM

Does that mean I can get a Purple Heart for this papercut?
Old 07 April 2014, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Does that mean I can get a Purple Heart for this papercut?
Is it pumping arterial blood?
if not, then all you can get is apurple finger, from the ink stains.