Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Horrors

Old 02 July 2013, 06:40 PM

Airplane No more Flight 191s

Comment: So many tragedies have befallen airline flights labeled "Flight
191" that the majority of global air carriers have outright retired the
number.
Old 02 July 2013, 07:48 PM

Airplane

There have been a few high profile crashes with that flight number: American Airlines flight 191 in Chicago in 1979, Delta flight 191 in Dallas in 1985, and Comair flight 191 in Lexington, KY in 2006 (although that last one was marketed to passengers as Delta flight 5191 and was only flight 191 for air traffic control purposes). Wikipedia lists a few other accidents and incidents involving that flight number and states "Superstition has even made some airlines stop using the number all together.[citation needed]" (emphasis on the "citation needed" part).

It is common for airlines to retire flight numbers after a major crash, so I wouldn't be surprised if American and Delta, the two worst on the list, no longer have a flight 191. I think it's probably a streatch to say that the "majority of global carriers" no longer use that number, though. It's easy to search their schedules nowadays. Let me check a few and see how many flight 191s I find.
Old 02 July 2013, 07:50 PM

Baseball

Air Canada flight 191 is in the air right now.

Ottawa to Victoria via Toronto.

http://info.flightmapper.net/flight/Air_Canada_AC_191

Lufthansa flight 191 is active from Berlin to Frankfurt.

http://info.flightmapper.net/flight/Lufthansa_LH_191

Swissair flight 191 Beijing to Zurich.

http://www.airfleets.net/flightlog/l...issair_191.htm
Old 02 July 2013, 08:07 PM

There is no United 191 or JetBlue 191. I didn't bother with Delta and American because I'm pretty sure they really have retired those flight numbers.

Checking some foreign airlines, there's a a Lufthansa flight 191 from Berlin to Frankfurt (which I see UEL has spanked me on), Air France 191 Bangalore to Paris, there doesn't seem to be a British Airways 191, a Qantas flight 191 from Cairns to Port Moresby.

My conclusion: it might be true that most airlines in the USA avoid using that flight number, but it's clearly the statement that "most global carriers" don't use it is false.

ETA: There's no US Airways flight 191 either. Southwest won't let you search only by flight number; they make you enter an origin and destination.

ETA2:
Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
Swissair flight 191 Beijing to Zurich.
Well that one's really surprising considering Swissair went out on business in 2002 (I know, I'm nitpicking). Switzerland's current national airline is Swiss International Airlines, branded simply as "Swiss". They're actually a subsidary of Lufthansa.

Last edited by WildaBeast; 02 July 2013 at 08:27 PM.
Old 02 July 2013, 08:53 PM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
Well that one's really surprising considering Swissair went out on business in 2002 (I know, I'm nitpicking). Switzerland's current national airline is Swiss International Airlines, branded simply as "Swiss". They're actually a subsidary of Lufthansa.
Did not know that. Last time I flew out of Beirut, I went to Geneva and saw the Swiss markings. So, I typed Swissair 191 into the Google machine and it popped out a result. No attention to detail on my part.
Old 02 July 2013, 08:59 PM

Airplane The Worst Flight Number: 191

191 is one of the most tragic of all flight numbers.

http://blogs.wsj.com/middleseat/2012...ht-number-191/
Old 03 July 2013, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Comair flight 191 in Lexington, KY in 2006 (although that last one was marketed to passengers as Delta flight 5191 and was only flight 191 for air traffic control purposes).
Surely that's a Conair flight, but it is codeshare with Delta. Four digit flight numbers are normally the codeshare, using their own numeric designation plus the original flight numbers numerals.

I don't think air traffic control use flight numbers. A plane can have a dozen different flight numbers.

Quote:
Switzerland's current national airline is Swiss International Airlines, branded simply as "Swiss". They're actually a subsidary of Lufthansa.
And they use the old Luxair code of LX. Interesting case.
Old 03 July 2013, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeptic View Post
I don't think air traffic control use flight numbers. A plane can have a dozen different flight numbers.
They use a flight number, but in the case of a regional airline it might not be one any of the passengers use. Nobody would have had a ticket that said Comair flight 191 because there were no Comair tickets.
Old 03 July 2013, 02:59 PM

Private aviation aircraft uses the tail number (essentially the license plate) of the aircraft for a call sign. Airliners use the flight number because any one of a number of actual aircraft could be the one to be used a particular flight on a particular day.
Old 19 July 2013, 05:18 PM

I had the luck of flying on AC 143 last november... and the inflight map application even showed Gimli Manitoba on the map as we flew by it. This was particularly interesting as just a few weeks before I had watched a re-run of "Mayday" which featured the Gimli Glider. (Air Canada Flight 143, which ran out of fuel north of winnipeg and had to do a crash landing in Gimli) (next tuesday is it's 30th anniversary)