snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Police Blotter

Old 12 March 2018, 09:00 PM

Blow Your Top Officials telling Austin residents 'DO NOT' open unknown packages after 3 explosions

Austin police and Austin-Travis County Emergency Medical Services are responding to a second reported explosion in the Austin-area Monday, and now the Mayor of Austin and the Austin police chief are warning residents not to open suspicious packages.

Austin Police Chief Brian Manley said the APD and the USPS will work with the FBI and ATF National Response Team along with other agencies to investigate and they will "leave no stone unturned." He said officials believe this explosion is releated to two previous explosions -- one that occured earlier on Monday, another that happened 10 days ago.

http://www.kvue.com/article/news/loc.../269-527830023
Old 12 March 2018, 10:10 PM

Maybe we should have school teachers check all the suspicious packages.
Old 19 March 2018, 04:43 PM

Default Fourth explosion this month injures two; this time in Southwest Austin

An explosion tore through a quiet Southwest Austin neighborhood Sunday night, sending two men to the hospital with serious injuries and heightening worries that a serial package bomber is targeting the city’s residents.

https://www.statesman.com/news/local...MCucbvdlO7cfK/
Old 20 March 2018, 02:16 PM

Default Package bound for Austin blows up at FedEx building near San Antonio

The San Antonio Texas Fire Department said a package bomb apparently bound for Austin exploded at a FedEx distribution center in Schertz, Texas, hurting one person, a FedEx employee who apparently suffered a non-life-threatening "percussion-type" injury from the blast. An FBI agent told CBS News "it's more than possible" the package is related to explosions that have occurred in Austin in recent days.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/package...-live-updates/
Old 21 March 2018, 05:20 AM

Default New Austin incident not related to serial bombings, police say

Law enforcement officials said an incident involving an artillery simulator that went off in Austin, Texas, Tuesday evening is not related to a series of recent bombings.

Reports of a package explosion at a Goodwill store on Brodie Lane Tuesday night initially sparked panic, but police later said the incident involved an artillery simulator and was not connected to the so-called serial bomber terrorizing the area.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/austin-inci...ry?id=53868609
Old 21 March 2018, 09:16 AM

Austin bomber ‘dead after blowing himself up in shootout with police’

Quote:
US news outlets are reporting that the Austin bomber has been killed in a police shoot out. The unidentified man is said to have been shot by police and blown himself up with one of his homemade devices in the Texas city where he has spread fear and panic.

The information is yet to be officially verified, but there is a large police presence and a press conference will be held later.
Old 21 March 2018, 01:05 PM

I wonder if he will have been a lone-wolf/mentally ill (white) or a terrorist (non-white)?
Old 21 March 2018, 02:22 PM

The first sentence in the article currently says that he was a lone wolf.
Old 21 March 2018, 02:25 PM

Suddenly, the "Keep Austin Weird" slogan doesn't feel so fun anymore. Austin's beloved local motto — repeated with equal pride by college students and high-priced lobbyists, self-proclaimed slackers and 20-something tech hotshots -- isn't meant for things as sinister as the string of deadly recent bombings. The blasts sent a deep chill through a hipster city known for warm weather, live music, barbecue and, above all, not taking itself too seriously.

It remains unknown whether that attitude made a more likely target of Austin, where the population and economy are booming, politics are liberal and diversity is rich.

http://www.metronews.ca/news/world/2...exploding.html

Based on this article the authorities don't seem to be ignoring the possibility that this was domestic terrorism and/or a hate crime. I also now have a place in Texas that I would feel happy to visit, it sounds like a great city.
Old 21 March 2018, 02:26 PM

He's been identified as a 24-year-old white male (name redacted here to avoid giving him extra publicity, but this CNN story has it).

Hope that is the end of it -- that he hadn't had a chance to plant/send any more bombs, and that he actually was working alone.

Also glad that the blast he killed himself with apparently didn't injure anyone else.
Old 21 March 2018, 05:07 PM

I hope he didn't get a chance to set anything else in motion.

Also, the fact that he blew himself up sure seems like a good indication that they found the right person.

There is at least some evidence that he could have been a terrorist. An old blog indicating conservative views plus his choice of targets at least suggests ideological motivations. I wonder if more will be found on his views. The blog includes statements about how he had trouble defending his views.

I wonder when the danger will be considered to have passed.

ETA: The blast inside his vehicle did "knock back" a SWAT team member, causing minor injuries.
Old 22 March 2018, 01:03 AM

Default Austin bombing suspect Mark Conditt recorded 25-minute "confession," police say

A 23-year-old man who is suspected of terrorizing Texas residents with explosive packages for several weeks recorded a 25-minute confession on his cellphone, Austin Police Chief Brian Manley announced during a news conference Wednesday evening. Mark Conditt was killed when he detonated an explosive device early Wednesday morning as a SWAT team closed in on his vehicle.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/austin-...on-cell-phone/
Old 22 March 2018, 01:06 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Q. Taft View Post
He's been identified as a 24-year-old white male (name redacted here to avoid giving him extra publicity, but this CNN story has it).
It's probably not going to happen, but once again, I would like to advocate for Wonderella's Some Asshole Initiative. Normally I advocate mostly in favor of mass shooters, but I think it works just as well in this case. No need to make this jagoff into some kind of anti-hero role model.

On some level, I believe it is important to study criminals' pasts to figure out why So-and-So did whatever, but the current approach feels more voyeuristic rather than anything likely to educate anyone.

Roger Ebert had a good quote about the way media unintentionally glorifies assholes in his review of the movie, Elephant

Quote:
Let me tell you a story. The day after Columbine, I was interviewed for the Tom Brokaw news program. The reporter had been assigned a theory and was seeking sound bites to support it. "Wouldn't you say," she asked, "that killings like this are influenced by violent movies?" No, I said, I wouldn't say that. "But what about 'Basketball Diaries'?" she asked. "Doesn't that have a scene of a boy walking into a school with a machine gun?" The obscure 1995 Leonardo Di Caprio movie did indeed have a brief fantasy scene of that nature, I said, but the movie failed at the box office (it grossed only $2.5 million), and it's unlikely the Columbine killers saw it.

The reporter looked disappointed, so I offered her my theory. "Events like this," I said, "if they are influenced by anything, are influenced by news programs like your own. When an unbalanced kid walks into a school and starts shooting, it becomes a major media event. Cable news drops ordinary programming and goes around the clock with it. The story is assigned a logo and a theme song; these two kids were packaged as the Trench Coat Mafia. The message is clear to other disturbed kids around the country: If I shoot up my school, I can be famous. The TV will talk about nothing else but me. Experts will try to figure out what I was thinking. The kids and teachers at school will see they shouldn't have messed with me. I'll go out in a blaze of glory."

In short, I said, events like Columbine are influenced far less by violent movies than by CNN, the NBC Nightly News and all the other news media, who glorify the killers in the guise of "explaining" them. I commended the policy at the Sun-Times, where our editor said the paper would no longer feature school killings on Page 1. The reporter thanked me and turned off the camera. Of course the interview was never used. They found plenty of talking heads to condemn violent movies, and everybody was happy.
I apologize if my comments are only tangentially related to the discussion at hand, but it's just something I've been thinking about. If needed, the discussion can be moved to another thread.
Old 22 March 2018, 04:05 PM

TV

Mouse, that quote you cited is spot on as our UK friends would say. I'm no expert, and yes there are psych causes to consider, but I do think that many of these shooters/mass murderers want to be famous/want some kind of attention. They don't care if it's negative attention, they will be famous!! They'll be on TV!
Of course, crimes like this are newsworthy, but there is a point, where I the viewer, say enough already! Change the channel DH!

I know Local Talk Show Host will discuss incidents like the Austen shooting, and ask for listener input, but he's made it a personal policy to not glorify this person or his deeds by naming him. The person will be known as suspect, terrorist, or some other non-specific word.
Old 22 March 2018, 07:32 PM

Of course, he could have been stopped earlier by a good guy with a bomb, if we didn't have these silly bomb-control laws.
Old 23 March 2018, 01:54 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
I know Local Talk Show Host will discuss incidents like the Austen shooting, and ask for listener input, but he's made it a personal policy to not glorify this person or his deeds by naming him. The person will be known as suspect, terrorist, or some other non-specific word.
Local Talk Show Host has a good policy. Ideally, we’d refer to them as Some Asshole like Wonderella suggested, but maybe that’s a violation of FCC regulations or something.
Old 23 March 2018, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Q. Taft View Post
Of course, he could have been stopped earlier by a good guy with a bomb, if we didn't have these silly bomb-control laws.
I actually saw someone say something to the effect of "why aren't people talking about bomb control like they do about gun control after mass shootings?"

I facepalmed...
There IS bomb control, down to the product level. And of course, the reason for this was another "not a terrorist" white guy.