snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Police Blotter

Old 02 March 2018, 08:40 PM

Default CMU shooting: Student fatally shot parents in dorm, police say

A Central Michigan University student allegedly shot and killed his parents Friday morning in a fourth-floor dorm room, sources told the Detroit Free Press.

The suspect was still at large and considered armed and dangerous. The entire CMU campus and most of the city of Mt. Pleasant, where the university is located, were in lockdown while police from local, state and federal agencies searched the area.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...nts/389075002/
Old 02 March 2018, 09:46 PM

Unfortunate choice of acronym, since I immediately associate that with Carnegie Mellon University (cmu.edu).
Old 03 March 2018, 12:24 AM

Here is Michigan, its unmistakably Central Michigan University.
Old 05 March 2018, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errata View Post
Unfortunate choice of acronym, since I immediately associate that with Carnegie Mellon University (cmu.edu).
Yes, it can be very confusing. My wife is a graduate of Carnegie Mellon and we realized just saying CMU was not enough after we moved to Michigan.

Interestingly, Central Michigan was established in 1892 and Carnegie was founded in 1900, although it did not become Carnegie Mellon until 1967. So, Central Michigan would appear to have a stronger claim to the initials.

As Central Michigan becomes larger, this may become an issue in the wider world. Both are leading universities. I would expect Carnegie Mellon to revert to using that name and away from being referred to as CMU. It tends to be referred to that way more often in the media.
Old 05 March 2018, 04:24 PM

The same situation exists with multiple other schools. Ohio State v. Oklahoma State is the first one that comes to my mind, but I can think of others. There are only 26 letters in the alphabet, and the initials of most universities include U or SU.
Old 05 March 2018, 04:30 PM

I went to Michigan State University and own several MSU shirts. One of these refers to Montana State University.

In this case it was a Detroit Free Press article. I don't think there was confusion among their usual readership.
Old 05 March 2018, 04:44 PM

Conversely, if it had been Carnegie Mellon, it's likely a local paper outside the Pittsburgh area would not describe it as CMU in a headline.

Practically speaking, it's rarely a problem.
Old 05 March 2018, 04:57 PM

Did you mean would or would not?
Old 05 March 2018, 05:12 PM

They would not, because a non-Pittsburgh local audience would be less likely to assume that CMU meant Carnegie Mellon. The less local the institution being named, the more descriptively it should be named (per general rules of journalistic style, e.g. the AP Stylebook).

ETA: An editor in western PA is unlikely to assume that readers will see "CMU" and think "Central Michigan University," while an editor in SE Michigan is unlikely to assume that readers will see "CMU" and think "Carnegie Mellon."
Old 05 March 2018, 05:23 PM

Okay, I understand and agree.
Old 05 March 2018, 06:56 PM

News aggregators regularly promote local stories into national stories, which is where the ambiguity starts. I'd put the confusion on them rather than the original reporters/editors, but aggregators often don't put much effort in.