snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 01 December 2017, 12:39 PM

In a big, dark theater, the flash on your cell phone camera is NOT going to make your picture of the kids on stage any better, it is just going to annoy the people around you. If you don't know how to turn the flash on your cell phone off, stop using it. And also, don't hold your camera up over your head to record your kid, it just means those of us behind you are just watching your screen (unless you, ya know, cover your screen.) And dude behind me who had a small spotlight on your camcorder, WTF is wrong with you? Luckily someone made you shut it off after a minute of us being unable to see much.
Old 02 December 2017, 06:29 AM

No, invading North Korea is not going to improve the place. It didn't improve Afghanistan, it didn't improve Iraq, it didn't improve Libya, it's not going to work here.
Old 02 December 2017, 02:25 PM

France

Ladies, I know you like to gossip, but the best place to do so is not in a funeral home. Nor directly outside. My sister told me that she wanted to shout at you to shut up when we had the wake for my mother fifteen days ago. So at the next funeral you attend, may I suggest you pay your respect to the deceased and his/her family, have little prayer, and keep your comments to the coffee shop afterwards.
Old 02 December 2017, 02:41 PM

My sympathies to your family on the loss of your mother, Kermor.

We had a similar experience when my FIL died. It amazed me how inappropriately some people behaved both at the funeral home and at the church service. I get that perhaps it is an occasion where you are seeing people you haven't met up with in awhile but that said, plan to meet up either before or afterwards to catch up on all the family news - or to finish your arguments! No one is expecting you to stand in somber silence the whole time but unless the grieving family is setting the pace here it's not usually an occasion for screams of laughter or, especially for loud bickering. That adults in their middle to late years need to be told this is somewhat appalling.
Old 02 December 2017, 04:16 PM

One of the 'jobs' I do for my closest friends is to stand in the back of the room at funerals and take care of anything that needs to be done. This has included making introductions that would otherwise be overlooked, holding on to gifts that are given at inconvenient moments, ordering pizza for the family, renting cars, providing technical support and wrangling kids. I also act as bouncer, keeping a look out for unwanted people, though I've not yet had to remove anyone. I have had to quietly deal with people who were being loud or inappropriate. In most cases they just feel embarrassed and shut up.
Old 02 December 2017, 04:47 PM

That's impressively thoughtful, Beachy.
Old 02 December 2017, 05:18 PM

That is a very kind service, Beach. Kermor, my condolences.
Old 02 December 2017, 07:12 PM

Thank you. It started as bit of a joke with a friend at her mother's funeral. She was worried about her ex-husband showing up and I don't like people so I didn't want to be social. So we agreed I'd stand in the back of the room and keep an eye out. In doing so I noticed a few other things that needed done and I did them.
Old 03 December 2017, 12:16 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
No, invading North Korea is not going to improve the place. It didn't improve Afghanistan, it didn't improve Iraq, it didn't improve Libya, it's not going to work here.
Hey it's entirely possible that things will go well the next time we throw matches on an regional powderkeg.

US Foreign Policy in a Nutshell:

1. Throw matches on a regional powderkeg

2. Make no plans as to what to do when it explodes.

3. Be shocked when it explodes.

4. Repeat
Old 03 December 2017, 02:43 AM

It's like the plot to all the Jurassic Park movies.
Old 03 December 2017, 05:56 PM

If what you really want is a bail out, say so, calling it a loan when you never had any intention of paying it back is lying in my book.
Old 03 December 2017, 06:33 PM

If you're really so gung ho about how you'd adopt unwanted kids to stop abortions, why havn't you adopted any kids already? And you can't simultaneously claim that you're opposed to abortion because you care about babies while also saying that pregnancy is the consequence the woman has to deal with.
Old 03 December 2017, 09:19 PM

Being able to solve certain kinds of puzzles doesn't necessarily make you more intelligent than other people. As much as people who have the kind of intelligence popularly defined as 'intelligence' might scoff at the idea, there are different types of intelligence.

The ability to solve certain kinds of puzzles just means you either have the kind of intelligence that makes it easier to solve certain kinds of puzzles... or it means you've had more practice solving certain kinds of puzzles.

If I practised jumping for a year and ended up being able to jump higher than you, it wouldn't necessarily mean I'm the most athletic.
Old 03 December 2017, 09:24 PM

Hear hear.

This topic comes up in my day to day more often than I would like: I don't even want to talk about "intelligence" any more. There are so many different kinds that "intelligent" turns out to be a nonsensically vague catch-all term for "being good at something". I've never heard it used in some situation where I thought there wasn't a better way to describe whatever skill it referred to. Stupid word. (And, yes, that definitely goes for "AI" as well.)
Old 03 December 2017, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
Hear hear.

This topic comes up in my day to day more often than I would like: I don't even want to talk about "intelligence" any more. There are so many different kinds that "intelligent" turns out to be a nonsensically vague catch-all term for "being good at something". I've never heard it used in some situation where I thought there wasn't a better way to describe whatever skill it referred to. Stupid word. (And, yes, that definitely goes for "AI" as well.)
It's obvious how flawed the popular idea of intelligence is when people still use terms like 'idiot savant'.

Even if somebody is only a genius in certain specific areas, then they should still be thought of as intelligent. Maybe they can make quick calculations in their heads but can't tie their shoelaces but, then again, maybe other people have high overall IQs but still persist in reading the Daily Mail.

Intelligence is pretty variable. And don't even get me started on IQ points...
Old 03 December 2017, 09:57 PM

Intelligence is a very abstract term that's really just a collection of different traits that aren't terribly closely related to each other. IQ is just taking how well a person performs different mental tasks and assigning an arbitrary number to it.
Old 04 December 2017, 03:17 AM

Where "mental tasks" means "several very specific and not necessarily useful, nor in any way relevant, tasks developed almost entirely for the specific purpose of assigning said arbitrary number".
Old 04 December 2017, 03:29 AM

I learned the difference between "intelligence" and "being good at school" when I got my first job, as a grocery store cashier. I'd always done really well with arithmetic as a kid - almost always got perfect skills on tests of multiplication, fractions, etc. (Although higher level math was a different story.)

Here's the thing, though: doing arithmetic when you're sitting at a desk after studying for the test is one thing. Doing arithmetic when you've been on your feet for hours, you're tired and hungry, and you didn't prepare for a test is a whole other thing. I remember multiple times when I rang a customer up and they suddenly said "Wait! I have 36 cents!" (Or whatever.)

In those circumstances? I became one of those idiot retail workers people complain about. I couldn't do math at all, and often stared at the customer until they told me how much change they expected. (To add to the pressure, there was usually a long line of frustrated customers waiting for me to just do the math in my head already.)

Ugh. Bad days.
Old 04 December 2017, 03:36 AM

By most intelligence tests, I have a "genius" level intellect but I struggled all the way through school and have difficulty holding a normal job thanks to having ADD and high functioning Autism/Asperger's that failed to get diagnosed until I was 18.
Old 04 December 2017, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
Where "mental tasks" means "several very specific and not necessarily useful, nor in any way relevant, tasks developed almost entirely for the specific purpose of assigning said arbitrary number".
In fact it originally meant "tasks specifically engineered to be easier for white people than black people in order to demonstrate that black people were not intelligent enough to vote."