snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Diversions > Urban Legends Contest

Old 13 March 2018, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
7. I only know one of those, and that is a barely know. I'll say that they all were released digitally over a month before they were released physically.[/
Several of them were released decades before digital release was a thing.
Old 13 March 2018, 08:53 PM

Australia

1. What dynasty ruled Russia between the 17th-century Time of Troubles and the troubles of 1917?
Csar Trek. That's the tribble with troubles.

2. What Kentucky county, once the home of 26 distilleries, saw its first post-Prohibition distillery, Hartfield & Co., open in 2014?
Fried?

3. What composer may have written one of his most famous melodies for soprano singer Elisabeth? "Elise" Rockel?
Elise John, "I''m a Rockel man"

4. After criticism from physicists, the Oxford English Dictionary redefined what word in 2010 to remove the (discredited) idea that the device's operation can be explained by atmospheric pressure?
The bum, no longer could I blame the weather to MrsHobbit for an indiscreet fart

5. Since the college football playoff National Championship began in 2014, what team has been to three of the four final games, and won twice?
I'm not good at maths, sorry.

6. British actor Peter Lawford was nicknamed "Brother-in-Lawford" because what famous person was his relative by marriage?
His Sister-in-Lawford, silly.

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these albums? Abraxas by Santana, Bankrupt! by Phoenix, The Last of the Mohicans by Bow Wow Wow, McCartney, Oral Fixation Vol. 2 by Shakira, Pet Sounds by the Beach Boys, The Stone Roses, The Velvet Underground and Nico, We're Only in It for the Money by the Mothers of Invention? EVERY SINGLE WORD OF THIS QUESTION HIT A CHORD, but alas, I've got nothing. Food on the cover? Nah, common.
Old 14 March 2018, 02:10 PM

1. Romanov.

2. Bourbon.

3. Don't know.

4. Siphon.

5. Don't know.

6. John F Kennedy.

7. Don't know.
Old 14 March 2018, 03:28 PM

Glasses

I think UEL got #4 right.

Seaboe
Old 14 March 2018, 03:44 PM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
I think UEL got #4 right.

Seaboe
Really? I was scrambling for anything other than barometer that uses air pressure. I might be more lucky than good!
Old 14 March 2018, 07:26 PM

Glasses

That's just my opinion, you know.

Seaboe
Old 20 March 2018, 11:08 AM

Time for Tuesday Trivia.

LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS

1. What dynasty ruled Russia between the 17th-century Time of Troubles and the troubles of 1917?
The Romanovs were doing SO WELL, until that whole 1917 execution thing.

2. What Kentucky county, once the home of 26 distilleries, saw its first post-Prohibition distillery, Hartfield & Co., open in 2014?
Bourbon was once made in its namesake Kentucky home, Bourbon County, but not so much anymore.

3. What composer may have written one of his most famous melodies for soprano singer Elisabeth "Elise" Rockel?
The dedicatee of Beethoven's "Fur Elise" (you know, that "deedle-deedle-deedle" tune) is still a mystery figure, but Rockel is among the candidates.

4. After criticism from physicists, the Oxford English Dictionary redefined what word in 2010 to remove the (discredited) idea that the device's operation can be explained by atmospheric pressure?
It was assumed for centuries that siphons moved water upward via atmospheric pressure, but we now know that they work in a vacuum, so some combination of gravity and the adhesion of water molecules must be at play.

5. Since the college football playoff National Championship began in 2014, what team has been to three of the four final games, and won twice?
Alabama has won two of the last three (and lost the other one). Roll tide.

6. British actor Peter Lawford was nicknamed "Brother-in-Lawford" because what famous person was his relative by marriage?
The Rat Pack let Peter Lawford hang out with them because of his access to his wife's brother, President Kennedy.

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these albums? Abraxas by Santana, Bankrupt! by Phoenix, The Last of the Mohicans by Bow Wow Wow, McCartney, Oral Fixation Vol. 2 by Shakira, Pet Sounds by the Beach Boys, The Stone Roses, The Velvet Underground and Nico, We're Only in It for the Money by the Mothers of Invention.
Each album has fruit somewhere on the cover. Sometimes it's obvious, like the lemon slices on The Stone Roses or the Warhol banana on the first Velvet Underground record. Others are a little harder to see, like the apple slices that the gang is feeding to the goats on the cover of Pet Sounds. Should the orange juice on the cover of Supertramp's Breakfast in America count here? I'm still going back and forth on that one.

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. What company, which takes its name from the Japanese word for "exquisite," traces its history back to the 1881 opening of a jewelry shop in Ginza?

2. The Big Bang Theory was the top-rated TV show in America last season, the first time a comedy has led the Nielsens since what show did it in 2002?

3. What happens at least 157 times in a row at the start of Tom Stoppard's play Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead?

4. The wild onager, which lives in the Near East and Central Asia, is most closely related to what domesticated animal?

5. According to the old country hit "Little Green Apples," what U.S. city gets no rain in the summertime?

6. Abu Bakr is best-known for being the successor to what man, his son-in-law?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by the following countries and territories, and no others? Barbados, the Cocos Islands, Estonia, Guernsey, Myanmar, South Sudan, Trinidad and Tobago.

Enjoy!
Old 20 March 2018, 11:34 AM

Whalephant

#4 must be either the donkey or the horse.
Old 20 March 2018, 11:36 AM

Only one this week...

4. The wild onager, which lives in the Near East and Central Asia, is most closely related to what domesticated animal? The donkey.
Old 20 March 2018, 12:36 PM

6. Abu Bakr is best-known for being the successor to what man, his son-in-law?I think it is Muhammad.
Old 20 March 2018, 12:53 PM

4. The wild onager, which lives in the Near East and Central Asia, is most closely related to what domesticated animal?

Donkey

5. According to the old country hit "Little Green Apples," what U.S. city gets no rain in the summertime?

Minneapolis

Muhammed
Old 20 March 2018, 12:57 PM

1. What company, which takes its name from the Japanese word for "exquisite," traces its history back to the 1881 opening of a jewelry shop in Ginza?

2. The Big Bang Theory was the top-rated TV show in America last season, the first time a comedy has led the Nielsens since what show did it in 2002? Friends?

3. What happens at least 157 times in a row at the start of Tom Stoppard's play Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead? A coin toss (that comes up the same each time - maybe heads?)

4. The wild onager, which lives in the Near East and Central Asia, is most closely related to what domesticated animal? cat?

5. According to the old country hit "Little Green Apples," what U.S. city gets no rain in the summertime? Indianapolis!
Old 20 March 2018, 01:14 PM

4 - donkey
5 - Indianapolis
Old 20 March 2018, 01:27 PM

I think 1 is Nintendo
Old 20 March 2018, 01:53 PM

1. Seiko.

2. Sounds like the "Friends" era.

3. A coin flip comes up heads.

4. Ass.

5. Don't know.

6. Muhammed.

7. Don't know.
Old 20 March 2018, 01:54 PM

Forgot to put my answer for #1. Steve, the only reason I doubt your answer is because to the best of my knowledge, although the timeframe seems right, they started as a playing card company.

My WAG Mikasa, the china dinnerware company.

ETA:I think Chillas may have it - makes more sense than my answer.
Old 20 March 2018, 01:56 PM

I was thinking either Mikasa or Mikkimoto (sp? - the pearl company).
Old 20 March 2018, 02:00 PM

Yeah, I probably got that one wrong. I just remembered that the company I named started around then and they (obviously) made a different product than they make today. But I couldn't remember what their original product was. If only I had memorized a Japanese dictionary when I had the chance...
Old 20 March 2018, 02:13 PM

Tricky ones this week! I think I've only got one of them.

1. I should be able to work this one out but can't. I think Nintendo started out around then, but selling toys. Could have been in a jewellers, but it doesn't sound right. I'm sure there's something more obvious. (eta) - Or what Steve said, basically. I wrote this before reading any of the other answers, honestly! If Steve thought the same, I'm more confident than just my own guess.

2. Friends was still going then...

3. Hugh Grant says "NFBSK".

4. Sheep?

5. No idea.

6. Mohammed?

Quote:
7. What unusual distinction is shared by the following countries and territories, and no others? Barbados, the Cocos Islands, Estonia, Guernsey, Myanmar, South Sudan, Trinidad and Tobago.
That seems as though there should be an obvious link to do with dependencies of some sort, but there would either be more of them, or South Sudan and Myanmar don't seem to fit...
Old 20 March 2018, 03:35 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOf3 View Post
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

Zales
Quote:

2. The Big Bang Theory was the top-rated TV show in America last season, the first time a comedy has led the Nielsens since what show did it in 2002?
Seinfeld?
Quote:

3. What happens at least 157 times in a row at the start of Tom Stoppard's play Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead?
A door opens and closes.
Quote:

Donkey
Quote:

Indianapolis
Quote:

Mohammed?
Quote:

Not a clue.

Unfortunately, not only did I not do well this week (the non-hidden answer isn't hidden because I'm confident it's wrong), I don't have time to do my usual job of thinking up unusual alternatives.

Seaboe