snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 13 March 2018, 04:30 PM

Up: I did not drop the ball I thought I'd dropped at work.

Down: Because I thought I'd dropped a ball, I got to the office at 6:30 am today to fix it. I'd forgotten that I have a meeting scheduled from 3 to 4:30. It's going to be a long day.
Old 13 March 2018, 08:15 PM

Up: FIRST DAY OF NEW JOB!!!!

Down: Overwhelmed and exhausted. Lots of folks helping, assuring me I'm alright, etc. I want to make a list of things I need to deal with either ASAP or Pretty-Soon-SAP but feel so overwhelmed I don't even know where to begin with the list.
Old 13 March 2018, 09:06 PM

Don’t feel you have to force it. That’s kind of the point of being “New” somewhere. Since I have become a contractor doing short term roles, I have become comfortable with not knowing anything when I start a new role.

Enjoy it, in a few months it will all become natural!
Old 13 March 2018, 10:09 PM

Thanks!! I know if I did something really wrong that someone else would step in. I just feel bad I can't yet perform up to my personal standard for myself. It'll come in time, I can't expect it on the first day.
Old 15 March 2018, 08:21 PM

Up: I recently submitted an application for an accessible apartment at a new complex in my area, and my service coordinator said that I'm "pretty much in" because a certain number are guaranteed to ARC clients.

Down: My cousin passed away unexpectedly yesterday morning(she had a number of health issues such as lupus and cirrhosis).
Old 20 March 2018, 12:16 AM

UP: I got a gig making a giant cardboard replica of a certain piece of tech equipment that is about to be launched in Australia. I'd be earning a nice chunk of money. (It was a VERY large replica, nearly 4m/13' wide)

DOWN: the piece was going to be displayed outside for a whole month and we're about to get into some rainy weather so we had to do a whole bunch of extra work building a wooden frame and waterproofing the cardboard in addition to all the work that usually goes into giant cardboard sculptures.

DOWN: the PR company that was handling the launch was umming and aahing over the project for so long that when we got the go ahead we were only left with a week to do the job, which really wasn't long enough. It was a hurried, stressful gig with long, long hours. Last night we finished at the workshop at about 10pm.

DOWN: the guy who is running the project hadn't drawn up a complete set of CAD schematics but was insisting that I make the wooden frame as exact as possible so every time I finished one section I'd have to bug him to draw up the plans for the next section before I could build it. At one point (well into the project) he realised that a printed section we were outsourcing to a local print shop was larger than he'd expected and the print shop wouldn't be able to print it any larger so that section would have to be scaled down, which meant that every other section would also have to be scaled down and all the work I'd already done would have to be torn apart and redone. I eventually talked him into adjusting that section because there was no way I was redoing all the work I'd already done, and it was a dumb dumb dumb idea to throw out several day's worth of work when we only had a week to do the entire project.

DOWN: we got about halfway through the build when the PR company told us that head office in Japan had gotten cold feet over the project and cancelled it.

UP: I still get paid for the days I worked and I get to stay home today instead of making a big dumb cardboard sculpture in a factory until 10pm, hooray!
Old 20 March 2018, 03:19 PM

Dog

DOWN: There was no parking in the dog park parking lot due to the indoor football game going on in the sports arena directly across from the park. I had to park in the upper lot across from the ball fields.

UP: Pearl and I had to walk to/from the dog park, so I got some exercise and she got two walks and new places to sniff.

UP: The walk didn't kill my knees.
Old 20 March 2018, 09:22 PM

Up: I finally took my old PS3 to the used game store.

Down: Due to its age (it was a first-gen 60 gig model), they wouldn't accept it as a trade in.

Up: I ran into one of my mom's friends who's got a 17 year old son. I gave her the system, cords, two controllers, and Dragon Age: Origins Ultimate Edition for free (the store wouldn't accept the game as a trade-in either, since they had too many copies already, though they took all my other games).

Up: Now I'm finally rid of my old console.
Old 23 March 2018, 07:22 AM

Up I got a job interview on Monday for a temporary job in a town that is a fair distance north. And my Mum's cousin lives there so I can say there for the term.

I can't get there. I don't drive. My Mum would usually be happy to drive me and see her cousin but she is busy with a house sit. My uncle would be happy to do it but his son is home from New York and Monday is his last day before he flies back to the US. Everyone else is busy. I have been looking on-line for bus and train options but they seem to be thin on the ground. My Mum's cousin, whom I would normally stay with and would be happy to help me out, is away at the moment

When I put in the application, in the remote possibility I an interview (I have applied for a lot of jobs over the last year without getting to this stage), I had the above options in mind. But it is just very poor timing. Cause otherwise it would be ok.

I may have to ring Monday and make my excuses but I hate doing that and when the lady spoke to me on the phone I made it clear the distance wasn't going to be a problem. And now it is.
Old 23 March 2018, 11:29 PM

Then call and propose a solution. Perhaps they can make it a telephone interview? I don’t know what the job is or what the interview entails, but if you think it is worth persuing then make solving this problem part of your demonstration of your abilities.

Some things you cannot control, especially travel and accomodation arrangements in tha vast country of yours!

Own the problem and present a solution. even if you are ultimatley unsuccessful it’s a good habit to get into.

Good luck!
Old 24 March 2018, 08:57 AM

That is good advice Hans and I have done phone interviews before but I generally don't let on in applications I don't drive. Not entirely honest I am guessing and unless driving is a big part of a job, the legally can't require you to have a license. But it does effect your chances. I is pretty rare for someone not to have a license in this big country of mine. It is only in the last few decades they have been serious about helping people get around, sans car in the third largest city in the country. And because they are playing catch up on this front it can be difficult at times.

Anyhow, even though the government still wants me to be looking for work, my insurance company doesn't as I have been paid for "permanent and total disability" But I can't live on my insurance payout alone.

But basically we* have decided to let the company know that I am no longer available for the job and I am very sorry but I can't get there. Which I don't like doing but is the only way.

*my parents and I.
Old 24 March 2018, 03:11 PM

Do you not want the job at all now? Because explaining that you were going to stay nearby for the job, but ran into a problem.getting there for the interview and need to reschedule or make it a phone interview sounds perfectly reasonable to me. Worth a try, anyway, if you still want the job.
Old 24 March 2018, 08:07 PM

Up: I've had a really relaxing day off. I was really productive at work this week so I am enjoying lazy-time guilt free.

Down: I always eat poorly when I'm off my daily routine schedule, so I didn't have enough energy to finish my workout. Then was super crashing-hungry and ate something not-so-nourishing but tasty... oh well. Going to give the workout another try to see if I can finish it up, then have a tasty and relativley healthy dinner.
Old 25 March 2018, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
Do you not want the job at all now? Because explaining that you were going to stay nearby for the job, but ran into a problem.getting there for the interview and need to reschedule or make it a phone interview sounds perfectly reasonable to me. Worth a try, anyway, if you still want the job.
Probably not. My planned accommodation isn't going to work out now and I have a look at a map and it is too far from the school to make it feasible. When I applied it was suitable but not now. There are other issues with an insurance payout I got (that I won't go into here) that would make it difficult
Old 26 March 2018, 12:19 PM

Glasses

DOWN: This past Friday, I broke my glasses (the arm just broke off in my hand as I was removing them).

UP: The optician shop is right up the street and they were able to glue the arm back on. Plus I have a spare set.

DOWN: I will eventually need new frames

UP: I had an eye exam last November and there is no change to my scrip. Plus, the store may have some kind of sale going on when the time comes to buy new frames.

DOWN: $$$$$$$
Old 26 March 2018, 02:08 PM

Glasses

UP: My costume is going well, and my house guest was gone all day yesterday, so I could clean away the costume mess (because the housekeeper is coming on Tuesday).

DOWN: My house guest was not available to clean up her stuff.

UP: My house guest has offered to watch the dog for me while I'm at the convention.

DOWN: This means it will be at least another week before I have my house to myself again.

Seaboe
Old 28 March 2018, 07:34 AM

Teacher

DOWN: I didn't step back and check my progress from a different angle when I was repairing the side fence and a whole bunch of the palings got screwed on crookedly.

UP: When I was dismantling the fence I very carefully peeled off a big vine that was covering half of it and when I hang it back on the fence it'll cover most of the crooked palings, so I'm not going to bother straightening them.
Old 14 April 2018, 09:14 PM

It's nice enough to have the windows open- but just a little too warm, so my hands are too sweaty to do any drawing Knowing how it will return to cooler/milder temperatures the next few days, I can't bring myself to close up & put on the AC.
Old 14 April 2018, 10:13 PM

Here is just the opposite: it's almost nice outside but just a little cooler than I like it, but my desire to air out the apartment is keeping the windows open.
Old 15 April 2018, 04:16 PM

Up: I got the promotion!

Down: My 21-year-old car finally failed its smog check. I'm going to look into the cost of repairs, but considering its age and value, it might be time to say goodbye. Considering this happened the day after I found out I'll soon be making a lot more money, maybe I should take this as a sign and finally get that Prius I've been thinking about.