snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Closed Thread

Old 21 February 2018, 01:12 AM

To be honest, in the Marvel Universe, the 9/11 attacks probably wouldn't have been considered as severe by comparison: it's been hit by so many attacks. Supervillain mass-murderers like Carnage and Xorn (who was pretending to be Magneto who was pretending to be Xorn), rampaging monsters, full-blown alien invasions.

Honestly, New York in the Marvel Universe has been the center of so many disasters that I figure that it's population is substantially lower than it is in the real world.
Old 21 February 2018, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errata View Post
You have to dig into the very minor characters, for sure, and even then I hesitate to suggest one because they're so minor I don't recall enough detail about them. Like maybe the sign painter? I found Dinklage likable, but I think that's just his charisma. His character covered for an arsonist that he had a crush on, which isn't OK.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasla View Post
Yeah you are right. The sign writer was pretty decent.
And the black sheriff who came in to replace Woody character was pretty decent.
Old 21 February 2018, 04:24 AM

So I finally got a chance to see Black Panther today- caught the early show at the theater.

To my pleasant surprise, the audience (which was small) was about 70% female. It's not just guys going to see Marvel movies.

One minor detail I noticed that I'm sure very few people would have even thought about: the "Wakanda" sheep shown in one scene were a breed native to the UK and were pretty darned out of place for an equatorial African nation of any sort. They especially didn't fit in one that was as isolationist as Wakanda.

Of course, the only reason I even know that is from taking 4-H in junior high.
Old 21 February 2018, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasla View Post
And the black sheriff who came in to replace Woody character was pretty decent.
Ambiguous at best. The law enforcement was systemically very sketchy.
He witnessed that cop commit assault/attempted murder and fired him. Which is better than not firing him, but less than sufficient. "Good" cops not applying the law to "bad" cops is a huge part of the problem. Hardly any charges were filed against anyone for anything, even after he took over.

And then there was the whole thing about how that guy who bragged about rape. He supposedly has a perfect alibi and didn't match forensic evidence. But these results are filtered through this character. Which is plausible, that maybe he raped someone similarly while deployed overseas, and they got the wrong rapist. However, he just randomly tries to intimidate the mother of the victim in a state he doesn't even live in, which wasn't even a factor in why he was a suspect? Very implausible, which makes us reevaluate possibilities that would normally be a stretch, but not as much as that. Is the sheriff an honest man trying to clean up a dysfunctional police department, or is he there to just make it stop and suppress evidence?
Old 21 February 2018, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Q. Taft View Post
CRACKED.COM did a fun piece a while back about how Black Panther is really (though unintentionally) the biggest villain in the Marvel Universe; apart from the whole isolationist policy, and what the existence of the country might have done to regional politics (according to some material released, Wakanda is approximately where Tanzania is in our universe -- suggesting that Ugandan refugees in the era of Idi Amin would have had nowhere to run), there's the fact that Black Panther would be a role model for would-be autocrats: a hereditary king with superpowers, ruling over a country that's actually doing spectacularly well. As the article notes, "Black Panther actually is who Kim-Jon Un thinks he is."
You know, that article doesn't even cover some of the overt stuff BP has done, like the time that he was going to sell the world the cure for cancer. All the nations he invited were prepared to offer any payment he demanded, whether it was money, land, or possibly virgins. And while they were all gathered and telling him to name his price, he just up and quit because "they didn't know how to offer proper respect." Also, he had the cure for cancer and just let the original Captain Marvel die of cancer because he didn't want to share. He's also backstabbed the Avengers more than once.
Old 21 February 2018, 10:26 PM

I remember reading The Death of Captain Marvel and the somewhat poignant scenes with the various super-brains of the Marvel Universe (e.g., Reed Richards) trying to cure him, and pausing occasionally to wonder why they hadn't bothered to look for a cure before. (Apparently, they haven't bothered much since then, either...)
Old 22 February 2018, 01:33 AM

Superheroes are remarkably incompetent when it comes to inventing things that would be useful for society at large instead of punching a supervillain with.
Old 22 February 2018, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
Superheroes are remarkably incompetent when it comes to inventing things that would be useful for society at large instead of punching a supervillain with.
That's why I liked the Planetary comics; the whole point of the story was that the wonderful weirdness of comic book universes shouldn't be concealed from the world, and the protagonists work hard to usher the world into an age where miracles of science can finally be shared by everyone. And not in a Miracleman kind of way, but simply by revealing what had been concealed.
Old 22 February 2018, 02:45 PM

Saw Black Panther. Middle of the pack for Marvel movies overall. I thought that Letitia Wright and Lupita N'Yongo were outstanding, Winston Duke and Danai Gurira were good, and Chadwick Boseman and Michael B. Jordan were mediocre. The scenery was great, but the big fight between hero and villain was a cartoon.
The best thing about the movie was any time that Wright was on screen. I've heard a few people ask why we didn't see anything more from the "sneakers". To me, that was basically a Q branch scene from a Bond movie, and I loved it. I would love to see her, and that character, in a lot more stuff.
The worst thing about the movie was the character who was Danai Gurira's love. Did not like the actor, did not like the character.
Old 22 February 2018, 04:42 PM

Saw Black Panther.

I thought it was very good. It was the small touches that did it for me, like the various tribes worshiping different gods.
Old 23 February 2018, 01:13 AM

Mouse

Quote:
As with so many things in life, there’s a trope page for it: Reed Richards Is Useless

It’s one of my favorite trope names, beaten only by “Just Eat Gilligan.”
Old 23 February 2018, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
As with so many things in life, there’s a trope page for it: Reed Richards Is Useless

FTFY: Link works now.
Old 23 February 2018, 08:37 AM

I thought Black Panther was definitely among the best Marvel movies. Comparable to the first Iron Man or the first Guardians of the Galaxy, and better than most.

If I had complaints, I think they would have to do with pacing. There were times when they zipped past important moments too quickly and superficially, while other scenes dragged on a bit too much. Most films in this genre have this problem to some extent.

Shuri was the best character by far. I think there will naturally be a temptation to give her increasing roles in the sequels, but it might be better to just focus on making her screen time impactful. I thought the Q moment should have been more of a highlight, for instance. The sneakers were good but never really became relevant in the movie, and it was a little unclear what some of those small gadgets even did.
Old 23 February 2018, 07:36 PM

Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post

I like a lot of them including "Germans Love Hasselhoff" & many many anime ones.
Old 24 February 2018, 02:19 PM

I saw Out Of Sight for the first time the other day. I gotta say, while I did like it, I preferred Get Shorty (the only other Leonard adaptation I have seen).
Old 28 February 2018, 06:04 AM

Finally watched The Martian. I don't have much good to say. It's certainly the most overrated movie I've seen in a very long time. I just don't get the inflated reviews.

It's written and paced like a sitcom. Not a great one. The acting is nominal, maybe on a par with a good sitcom, but this is the first major production I've ever seen with almost zero character development. Being quirky, cussing a lot, or having some 'interesting' ethnic background (that's mentioned once and immediately forgotten) doesn't give you a character. Many (if not all) parts are introduced only to fade into a jumble of nondescript 'quirky' but undeveloped people with lines in a movie. I guess they wanted to avoid cliches but they weren't even developed enough to become cliches. And the story itself is riddled with cliche so...

I didn't expect too much but it was still very disappointing. I was warned about the science and it wasn't good (although there really isn't any there; it's mentioned but never do they discuss any detail interesting enough to remember; the obvious science is mostly, and somewhat obviously, wrong) but it was hardly the worst thing about this movie. It was just barely entertaining enough that I didn't feel cheated out of a couple hours (cf sitcom) but I don't have any desire to see it again.

Last edited by ganzfeld; 28 February 2018 at 06:09 AM.
Old 04 March 2018, 08:10 AM

I saw Annihilation. There were certain interesting elements, but I didn't really enjoy it. There were a number of things things that just seemed poorly thought out. I'll give a pass for all the bad decisions they made within the area, since they may have been under the influence. But their plan before they entered was already bad, and the whole government response to the incident seems to have multiple, fundamental strategic flaws. Plus, without going into spoilers, the resolution of the crisis seems like the writer just didn't know how to end it and gave up, but it doesn't make much physical sense given how that situation started.

I hadn't heard of the book, but just from the brief summary on Wikipedia, it seems like many of the things I had a problem with were departures from the book. So they may have just changed things around for the screenplay without noticing how much less sense it all. Then again some of elements in the book sound odd too, so it may or may not be better.
Old 04 March 2018, 08:17 AM

I found this movie on DVD called Scales: Mermaids Are Real. It’s a nice enough movie about a girl who discovers she’s a mermaid (which pretty much lifts from every rule in the “Fantasy Coming-Of-Age” playbook), and it’s one I would be perfectly content to show my seven-year-old nephew…except for one thing: The heroine straight-up murders someone. See, she’s one of those H2O: Just Add Water-style mermaids that controls water, and a bad guy just threw a spear at her pod (he’s not the main baddie. This is a Secret Of Moonacre style conclusion, where the main baddie—a father whose son has a condition only mermaid blood can heal—is defeated painlessly five minutes beforehand). So she turns him into a puddle. The only reaction she gets? Something along the lines of “That…was cool”. Must have been because he was the only black guy in the cast.
Old 04 March 2018, 02:47 PM

Did she previously display powers that would have let her defend herself less lethally?
Old 04 March 2018, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Did she previously display powers that would have let her defend herself less lethally?
The movie never really makes that clear (to continue the H2O reference, she seems to only have Cleo’s power), but I’m more fussed on how every other main character sees this and nobody seems to be traumatised (Unlike that other movie I referenced, this one has an epilogue. We see the male lead kicking a ball while his previously-evil father looks on smiling).

ETA: Other mermaids do in fact have these forcefield generators, and the lead’s mother controls the ocean.

Last edited by Jusenkyo no Pikachu; 04 March 2018 at 08:07 PM.
Closed Thread