snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Closed Thread

Old 22 January 2018, 05:35 PM

Yup!

Those books are no longer "canon," but that, too, is irrelevant. Everything rendered non-canon by the Disney buyout has the potential to be re-introduced at a later date in whatever capacity the author sees fit and with Disney's approval.

See: Grand Admiral Thrawn in Rebels. That's not to say that the Zahn books are all canon again, only that Thrawn is.
Old 23 January 2018, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarm View Post
The director, Rian Johnson, pretty much slapped down the dudebro's complaining about the epic showdown on Twitter by providing written evidence that his take existed prior to the Disney takeover.

He quoted from the sacred Jedi texts!!
Disney’s So Weird covered the same phenomenon. Basically, their argument boils down to “telekinesis, telepathy and ESP are ok, but that is just stupid”.
Old 23 January 2018, 01:19 AM

I joked with my brothers on our podcast that The Last Jedi ripped off "Ring-a-Ding Girl," an episode of The Twilight Zone - the main character uses astral projection to create a diversion, allowing everyone to escape what would have been a bloodbath, and apparently dies in the effort.
Old 23 January 2018, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicgeek View Post
I joked with my brothers on our podcast that The Last Jedi ripped off "Ring-a-Ding Girl," an episode of The Twilight Zone - the main character uses ....
Now that's just silly, how would that even work.

Edited quote to preserve spoilers
Old 23 January 2018, 12:57 PM

Icon204

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGeekyGirl View Post
Yup!

Those books are no longer "canon," but that, too, is irrelevant. Everything rendered non-canon by the Disney buyout has the potential to be re-introduced at a later date in whatever capacity the author sees fit and with Disney's approval.

See: Grand Admiral Thrawn in Rebels. That's not to say that the Zahn books are all canon again, only that Thrawn is.
The thing is, the inclusion of it in the film makes it canon again, so Yay!

I thought it was great. I spotted that the lightsaber was wrong but I just figured he’d had a makeover on the long trip back which would explain his tidy appearance!
Old 23 January 2018, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Off View Post
I thought it was great. I spotted that the lightsaber was wrong but I just figured he’d had a makeover on the long trip back which would explain his tidy appearance!
I thought it was interesting. During the lightsaber duel, I noticed that Luke never used his saber to block Ren's. I clearly remember wondering at the time about what could be going on during the fight. Then when it is revealed what was going on it made sense.
Old 23 January 2018, 04:15 PM

I started suspecting what he was doing when he didn't deflect any of the AT-AT shots back.
Old 23 January 2018, 06:48 PM

Also, no foot prints, after they make it a point of showing that people walking on the salt leave red footprints...
Old 26 January 2018, 01:49 AM

Mouse

I had some time to kill, so I went to see Paddington 2. And goshdarnit, it's just the sweetest, most adorable movie ever. I want to hug this movie, pinch its cheeks, cuddle with it, and talk about how adorable it is, as my voice becomes more squeaky and shrill.

Given that the trailers before the movie are a dispiriting parade of all the worst traits of children's movies, it is always nice when we just get a sweet kids' movie, where even the action scene climax, is still kind of light and understated. So many kids movies seem to exist to deluge children with a few genuinely funny gags, some adult gags to tide over their desperate parents, with the rest being fart jokes and pop culture gags that are dated even before the movie even comes out.

While Paddington does reference a few modern trends, for the most part, if you were to cut out a few scenes, it could have come out at any decade from the fifties onward, because it just feels absolutely timeless. And while I like "Kids saving the world" stories as much as the next person, sometimes it's nice when the action is more interior. Paddington isn't concerned so much with saving the world. He just wants to do the right thing and be a good, kind friend and neighbor. By being so sweet and kind, he winds up inspiring those around him to step up and be better people.

In sort, Paddington is freaking adorable, making you go "Awww..." with every scene, though his human supporting cast is just as sweet and fun as well, even his stuffed-shirt insurance salesman who serves as a father figure and the villain played by Hugh Grant. For the record, one minute into the credits, there is a credit cookie with Hugh Grant and it may be one of my favorite credit cookies around. Go out and see this movie! There's a reason it has racked up 100% on Rotten Tomatoes.
Old 26 January 2018, 05:56 AM

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri. Tragic, darkly comic, and very morally complex. I'm not sure precisely what to make of some of it, but it was certainly very engaging from start to finish and I was still thinking about it well after it was over.

When I got home I had to visit IMDb straight away, because it's like a "who's that?" of people you know you've seen before, but can't think of from where or their name (in addition to several big names). There's like 20 "oh that's where I know them from"s.

Last edited by Errata; 26 January 2018 at 06:05 AM.
Old 26 January 2018, 09:51 PM

We went to see The Last Jedi, but the theater had a sneak preview of The Quest for Nutella instead.
Old 26 January 2018, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad from Georgia View Post
We went to see The Last Jedi, but the theater had a sneak preview of The Quest for Nutella instead.
The dubbed version, or was it in French with subtitles?
Old 27 January 2018, 11:24 PM

My nephew has taken a liking to Ballerina (the movie you Yanks call “Leap!”). I am fine with this.
Old 28 January 2018, 07:39 AM

Too late to edit: I forgot to mention that my nephew also took a liking to The Cat In The Hat. I am not OK with this. I had consciously avoided that movie until yesterday.
Old 28 January 2018, 04:14 PM

That movie caused the heirs of Dr Seuss to stop licensing out the movie rights.
Old 29 January 2018, 02:55 PM

I finally saw Iron Sky all the way through. Don’t know why I hadn’t until now, considering I liked In The Pirkinning.

I also watched Kingsman: The Golden Circle. Liked it too.
Old 31 January 2018, 03:47 AM

Went to The Darkest Hour today. It was a little slow at first, but it was really good overall.
Old 31 January 2018, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errata View Post
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri. Tragic, darkly comic, and very morally complex. I'm not sure precisely what to make of some of it, but it was certainly very engaging from start to finish and I was still thinking about it well after it was over.
I wasn't sure what to make of it either! It's both a dark comedy and a drama, so there were a few scenes where I wasn't sure whether I was meant to be laughing or feeling sad or what. I think I might need to see it again to fully understand it.

I watched A Ghost Story the other night. It's definitely a movie that requires patience, as the beginning is sloooow. I'm glad I stuck with it, though. It becomes much more interesting as it goes on.
Old 03 February 2018, 12:15 AM

I decided to watch me some Anders Rønnow Klarlund last night. Turns out he’s done at least one good movie (How To Get Rid Of The Others) and one awesome movie (Strings). And neither are on TV Tropes.
Old 05 February 2018, 04:58 AM

I watched "A Futile and Stupid Gesture" this morning. At first I wasn't interested, since I've never been much into the National Lampoon. (I think I missed their glory days.) But then I found out Natasha Lyonne is in it, so I watched it, because I love her.

Okay, it turned out that Lyonne is only in the movie for about two minutes total. But I'm still glad I watched it. It was funny and touching, and it has a pretty great cast - an excellent movie to watch if you enjoy playing "Hey! I know that guy!"
Closed Thread