snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Closed Thread

Old 09 July 2017, 12:09 AM

Throw Tomato

I saw Baby Driver earlier this week and really, really liked it. In fact, right now it's in my top 5 movies of 2017. I was a little wary due to all the hype it has received but it did not disappoint. Also, it has an amazing soundtrack.

Brian
Old 09 July 2017, 02:59 AM

Saw Spiderman, thought it was fine. About middle of the pack for MCU movies for me. GotG 2 and WW were definitely better for me.
Old 09 July 2017, 04:14 PM

The Lego Batman Movie: Right up there with Wonder Woman as the best of the DC movies. Plus, it had Dal…erm, British robots.

Bon Cop, Bad Cop: I found this on Aussie Netflix, which is odd because this is the most Canadian action movie ever made. It's still funny, with scenes like this one taking the cake.
Old 11 July 2017, 04:22 AM

Saw Spider-Man, really enjoyed it though I felt that given how multi-ethnic the cast was it was too bad that they couldn't have used Miles Mores instead of Peter Parker.
Old 11 July 2017, 01:45 PM

Miles Morales only works if Peter Parker existed as Spider-Man. He wanted nothing to do with the power, until Peter Parker died saving Miles' family. If you take that out, you just have a black/Hispanic Peter Parker. Nothing wrong with that, but it wouldn't be the character of Miles.
Now, they have established Miles' uncle as existing (Donald Glover's character), and that he is a thief and has a nephew. The elements are in place for Miles to become a new Spider-Man. Whether they will eventually kill off Peter and have Miles replace him is unknown, but at least could happen.
Old 11 July 2017, 03:13 PM

They couldn't have used Miles anyway, since Peter was established as Spider-Man in Captain America: Civil War.
Old 11 July 2017, 09:36 PM

There's a thing I've been wondering about for a little while now: if Gwenpool gets adapted, what universe should she belong to? And what should she be referencing?
Old 11 July 2017, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
They couldn't have used Miles anyway, since Peter was established as Spider-Man in Captain America: Civil War.
I suppose they could have had Peter die in the opening credits, saving Miles' family, and then gone on to him. I doubt that would have gone over really well, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusenkyo no Pikachu View Post
There's a thing I've been wondering about for a little while now: if Gwenpool gets adapted, what universe should she belong to? And what should she be referencing?
I can't see how that character can ever make it into movies. She is clearly related to both the X-Men and Spider-Man licenses, but not exactly part of either. I would imagine that Fox, Sony, and Marvel would have to come to a three way agreement in order to get that done.
Old 11 July 2017, 10:55 PM

Gwenpool is an obscure enough character that I don't think there's much chance of her getting a movie: I think that Battlestar or Gladiatrix will get their own movies first (and all of you who just said "who?" proved my point).

Honestly, I don't think too many of Marvel's young new heroines are likely to get movies any time soon: Ms Marvel might have the best chance but I expect to see her on the Inhumans TV series instead.
Old 12 July 2017, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
Gwenpool is an obscure enough character that I don't think there's much chance of her getting a movie
A year ago that would have been true but the surprisingly massive success of the Deadpool movie has really boosted the chance of anything Deadpool-related being adapted. Also Sony has the rights to the Spider-Man franchise and related characters like Gwen Stacy and the fact that they cut a deal with Marvel to bring Spider-Man back into the MCU shows that they're willing to cut deals with other studios and ride the coat tails of successful movie franchises.
Old 12 July 2017, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
A year ago that would have been true but the surprisingly massive success of the Deadpool movie has really boosted the chance of anything Deadpool-related being adapted. Also Sony has the rights to the Spider-Man franchise and related characters like Gwen Stacy and the fact that they cut a deal with Marvel to bring Spider-Man back into the MCU shows that they're willing to cut deals with other studios and ride the coat tails of successful movie franchises.
Ok, we need to clear up some confusion here: Gwenpool is actually not related to either Gwen Stacy or Deadpool (although she was conceived as a variant on both). Instead, she's a girl named Gwen Poole who fell from a world that is conceivably ours into a Marvel comic. She also realised she was in danger of being an extra, so she got a costume and…joined MODOK (and also got Doctor Strange to erase her past life). So she knows she's in a comic book, but until recently has never actually broken the fourth wall.

It's actually a wonderfully bonkers approach. It's kind of like Squirrel Girl except a bit darker (and Gwen, not being an actual superhero, is more just a girl with incredible luck, an arsenal of dirty combat tactics, and a generally insane style).
Old 12 July 2017, 01:15 PM

Oh dang I got her confused with Spider-Gwen.
Old 13 July 2017, 01:27 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Credence View Post
Saw Spiderman, thought it was fine. About middle of the pack for MCU movies for me. GotG 2 and WW were definitely better for me.
I thought about the same about Spider-Man: Homecoming. It was a well-crafted, solidly put-together film, but nowhere near as cool as GotG 2.

I do have to say, the film does prove that Spidey takes after his mentor quite a bit in that much of the film has him blundering around and struggling to clean up his own messes. It is a bit more understandable, given that Spidey's fifteen, but still.

Tom Holland may have come the closest to encapsulating teenage comic book Spider-Man. My view of the Maguire-Garfield debate is that Tobey Maguire portrayed Peter Parker, as in the luckless, lovelorn science nerd who can't buy a break, best, whereas Andrew Garfield did the best job at playing Spider-Man, as in the wisecracking smart-ass going to town on criminals. Both Maguire and Garfield didn't do so well at the other part of the dual identity.

But Tom Holland did do a nice job with both parts, though what I really like is, well, it's nice to have someone playing teenage Peter Parker who, y'know, actually looks like a convincing teenager. Given that Maguire and Garfield were both approaching their thirties, it was kind of hard to take any of the teen angst stuff seriously. Of course, Tom Holland took on the role of Peter Parker when he was nineteen; hence why he makes a more believable fifteen-year-old than the other two. Still that moment when Spidey is buried under rubble and he's just having a full-blown meltdown? Again, one of those nice moments that really does make you go, "Oh crap, he really is fifteen."

It is also nice to have a multi-ethnic cast, even if I was like, "I thought Flash Thompson was more the jock, than an academic over-achiever." But hey, they can change whatever they like and knowing how much the dudebros of the Internet are sobbing over it, makes it all the more sweeter. Because apparently if you have Peter Parker flirt with someone who isn't all Aryan, that's like the worst thing you can do to a superhero, even worse than Bat-nipples or Superman IV.

I am raising my eyebrows at Tony Stark being all "I don't want you taking on baddies" after he hauled the kid to a massive superhero melee in Germany, but at the same time, that does seem within the character of Tony Stark. I kind of like how Civil War and Spider-Man have him trying to be the fatherly mentor. Granted, he screws up at it because, as said earlier, the guy has issues out the yinyang, but the thing that makes him so compelling, despite his repeated screw-ups, is that for all his faults, Tony Stark genuinely wants to do the right thing and is trying so hard to do so. And it's probably not too unrealistic to believe that Tony Stark only considered the dangers of the Germany fight in hindsight; realizing things in hindsight seems to be something he does a lot.

When they get to Infinity Wars, I really want to know more about what the heck has been going on with Tony. Did someone finally get poor Tony Stark some much-needed goddanged therapy? Like I've said before, one of the things that makes me look all side-eyed at his friends and be like, "Really?!" is that the guy has degenerated into more of a quivering mess of PTSD with each subsequent film and none of his friends have been like, "You need to go into therapy" about any of it.

My headcanon: if Tony went into therapy sometime in the interim between Civil War and Infinity Wars, he was counseled by Doc Samson. He did appear in The Incredible Hulk meaning that Samson is a part of the MCU. I suppose you can quibble over how much of that Hulk movie is still canon, but even if it wasn't, hey, it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to throw him in. We have a Space Raccoon and a Talking Tree; a psychologist isn't too far beyond the pale.

I know, I'm focusing on minutia that no one but me cares about, but Doc Samson is like the only comic book psychologist who isn't evil or completely ineffectual, so it'd be totes cool to see him work with Tony Stark.
Old 13 July 2017, 02:10 AM

Sampson turned evil a few years ago.

And of course Tony became worried about Peter after Civil War: one of his best friends was permanently crippled and nearly killed in that same fight. He feels incredibly guilty about forceably deputizing a 15 year old to serve as a child soldier, especially since he knows that the only reason Peter didn't leave that fight in a body bag was because everyone was pulling their punches.
Old 14 July 2017, 01:34 AM

Mouse

Yeah, but most people realize that taking a fifteen-year-old to a massive superhero melee is a bad idea beforehand and don't have to have a friend crippled over it.

Though seriously, I may be all snarky, but at the same time, I do love the character of Tony Stark. I am fascinated by him because he is the kind of character that, well, there are a hundred ways they could have screwed him up and made the character completely unlikeable yet they didn't. We are talking about a character who is a womanizing egomaniac who, in trying to fix things, ends up making matters worse; he could have easily become a dull, unpleasant mess of a character, yet he hasn't. Granted Robert Downey, Jr is charming as NFBSK, which helps quite a bit, but the writers do make sure to throw in some basic scenes to show that for all the ego, he is a good guy.

The fact that he keeps people like Rhodey and Pepper around does show that for all his ego, he knows he has flaws, knows he needs someone to call him out on his BS. And I like the recent movies with him mentoring Peter Parker, but also funding all the MIT students' projects; nice to have him try to make a difference in a way that doesn't involve blowing stuff up.

Though I have to say that while I'm not crazy about Iron Man 3, the scenes with him and the kid, Harley, were so enjoyable because it's almost as though Tony Stark is demonstrating some Deadpool-level awareness of the plot, being like, "Oh, I realize what's going on. You're trying to have me soften up, so you threw in a kid in hopes that it would make me more likeable to the audience. Well, it's not going to work." Thing is, by stubbornly refusing to soften up, his gestures somehow come across even sweeter towards the kid, even if...seriously Tony, you gave a young bullied child weapons to use against his bullies? You basically are Bender from Futurama when it comes to parenting.

And of course, while I make all these cracks about how so many of the problems in the MCU stem from his PTSD, at the same time, he still manages to be compelling because for all his faults, you do genuinely believe that he is trying that he genuinely wants to make the world a better place and not go to his grave known as a purveyor of deadly weapons. But he keeps screwing up due to deep-rooted issues; hence why I somewhat judge all his friends that none of them are like, "Seriously, Tony? Get some much-needed therapy!"

It is a bit odd that from what I heard Disney nixed the idea of adapting the "Demon in a Bottle" arc to the MCU. Apparently, they're okay with him suffering from PTSD, but alcoholism is way out. It's a shame because it is a damn good arc, one that easily stands the test of time, even if the fashions/dialogue are somewhat dated due to it being produced in the seventies.

As a final note to my rambling diatribe, have to say that the story behind the creation of Iron Man is actually cool, because apparently their goal was to create a character the readers wouldn't like, then make the readers like him. It's not quite as epic a debut as punching out Hitler on the cover months before America entered the war, but achieving that level of epic is a rare occasion.

Though dang, Doc Sampson's evil? Well, so much for my thing about how he's the one comic book psychologist who isn't evil or completely ineffectual. Though the beauty of there being so many continuities in comic books is that you can pick and choose, use the ones you like and jettison the ones you don't. Besides, it's not like the MCU doesn't already go against the comic books, otherwise Bucky would have been, y'know, twelve in Captain America: the First Avenger.

So because Tony Stark badly needs therapy, as far as I'm concerned, he's getting it from Doc Sampson who isn't evil. And now that I've typed another rambling post that few will read to the end, I'll stop for now.
Old 14 July 2017, 01:51 AM

I should say that the last time I heard of the character, Sampson had turned evil for unexplained reasons. He might be a good guy again. But I think that Tony did get some therapy at some point: notice that by Age of Ultron he's no longer having flashbacks or panic attacks.

And yes, most people know that forceably deputizing a 15 year old is a bad idea. Most people are also capable of handling a dispute like that without escalating it to a brawl in the first place. The Avengers is the only movie in the MCU that Tony plays a major part in and the plot isn't fueled by a major screw up of his.
Old 14 July 2017, 02:03 AM

Mouse

Age of Ultron isn't exactly a good example of Tony's mental stability, given that he created a murderous AI that nearly wiped out humanity.
Old 14 July 2017, 03:35 AM

Yeah, but he does that sort of thing anyway. Iron Man exists to protect the world from Tony Stark.
Old 14 July 2017, 03:04 PM

The problem with your standard-issue fictional genius is that they are limited geniuses, generally technological. This means that they are usually no better than most people in matters of judgment, and that judgment is further overshadowed by the enormity of their technological visions. Furthermore, being a genius means making mistakes on a grander scale.

Now, Barclay on the Next Generation episode "To The Nth Degree" was an example of a true genius - well-rounded and making few and minimal mistakes, quickly corrected.
Old 15 July 2017, 01:05 AM

No

Saw Spider-Man: Homecoming. First of all great movie, but...

There's no way spidey comes through all of that betrayal/physical danger without being traumatized. He's not going to be a happy/smiling kid anymore. He's going to need a lot of therapy. Trust me.
Closed Thread