snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 19 May 2014, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
But she was the daughter of Jawaharlal Nehru, the first Prime Minister of India. Gandhi was her married name. So there was certainly some family recognition in play.
To further clarify, her husband Feroze Gandhi wasn't related to Mahatma Gandhi but Indira's family was very closely associated with him.
Old 19 May 2014, 04:04 AM

I occasionally shop for clothes online but I sometimes have trouble figuring out if something will look good on me. I realized that I can just take a screenshot of whatever I'm considering purchasing, crop it out, and then paste it over a picture of myself to get a better idea of how it might look on me.
Old 19 May 2014, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
Former Indian prime minister Indira Gandhi is not related to Mahatma Gandhi.
Same here. I'm not sure how long ago I found out, but I'm pretty sure it was within the 2010's.
Old 19 May 2014, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
I occasionally shop for clothes online but I sometimes have trouble figuring out if something will look good on me. I realized that I can just take a screenshot of whatever I'm considering purchasing, crop it out, and then paste it over a picture of myself to get a better idea of how it might look on me.
Similarly, I'm considering different styles for the new fence I'll be building in front of my house and I realised I can just take a photo of the house and photoshop them in there to see what works.
So far the Black Gate of Mordor looks best but isn't really feasible.
Old 19 May 2014, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Temple View Post
Same here. I'm not sure how long ago I found out, but I'm pretty sure it was within the 2010's.
I found out about two minutes ago when I read WildaBeast's post...
Old 19 May 2014, 04:29 PM

Gandhi is a common-ish surname among the people of Gujarat. It's not as popular as Patel or Desai. But, it's semi-popular.
Old 19 May 2014, 05:38 PM

Yes, one of my colleagues has the surname Gandhi. I just assumed they were related because of the political angle rather than because I thought it was a rare name.
Old 19 May 2014, 07:17 PM

Less an epiphany than a depressing acknowledgement that pretty much all of human civilization can be boiled down to the haves vs. the have nots - a thought that was precipitated, believe it or not, by a recent, very enjoyable viewing binge of Horrible Histories.
Old 20 May 2014, 05:16 AM

Thanks to another thread I ended up on Wikipedia reading about the "wreck of the Old 97". I just realized the train was en route to Spencer, North Carolina, a place I've been. Probably not coincidentally there's a railroad museum there.
Old 20 May 2014, 06:00 AM

Icon23

I recently learned from a thread here about marshmallows that the marshmallow is a plant:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Althaea_officinalis
Old 22 May 2014, 06:08 PM

I was watching the best Fast Show sketches as suggested by The Guardian when I suddenly found out what Twankydillo's user name means:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXNPX0G2njM&feature=kp

(Link is not to a Fast Show sketch!) Are we allowed to make jokes about your pair of roaring blowpipes?!
Old 29 May 2014, 10:06 AM

I have known about the Mississippi Delta and Delta blues for practically my whole life. It never occurred to me to look at the Delta on a map. In my mind it was always further down toward the mouth of the Mississippi. I drove right up through the Delta about 25 years ago, and even visited Graceland a bit to the north but never stopped to notice the hometowns of so many of my favorite musicians at that time.
Old 29 May 2014, 10:34 AM

I always assumed it was the bit past New Orleans where it actually spreads out into a delta (more or less), too...

I guess most rivers don't really have a delta in the classical sense, though. They're not all going to match the Nile. The Amazon has one, but not so neat. The Mississippi has the feature where all its silt disgorges into the Gulf of Mexico and creates that peninsula where New Orleans is, and the end of that looks pretty fragmented into channels and islands, but the river itself seems to be all banked up (artificially I guess) into a single main channel even there.
Old 29 May 2014, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by she-geek View Post
Less an epiphany than a depressing acknowledgement that pretty much all of human civilization can be boiled down to the haves vs. the have nots - a thought that was precipitated, believe it or not, by a recent, very enjoyable viewing binge of Horrible Histories.
I bought into that doctrine when I was as early adult, from hearing cherry-picked examples. As I tried to fit that view to the facts, and looked at the facts with an open-mind, I found I could no longer make the doctrine fit the facts - and I did not want to make the 'facts' fir the doctrine - so I had to abandon that. Sure there is some of that, but there is far too much that cannot be explained that way without such creative redefinitions of concepts (like calling people who take other people's stuff out of covetousness 'have-nots' because they perceive themselves as not having all they want, when in fact they are 'haves' who just want more, especially what they did not earn).
Old 30 May 2014, 10:34 PM

I just now realized that those sequences in the Peanuts cartoons where Snoopy daydreams about being a pilot in WWI can be interpreted as a play on the word "dogfight".
Old 31 May 2014, 04:56 AM

And your post is the first I've heard of that connection!
Old 03 June 2014, 03:29 PM

Baseball

I just recently figured out that the Chicago Bears (football team) and the Chicago Cubs (baseball team) are basically the same animal - just adult and child (bear and bearcub). I'd never put two and two together.
Old 03 June 2014, 10:18 PM

Icon18

In the Sparks Nevada, Marshal On Mars segments of The Thrilling Adventure Hour, a literal Western in space, the humans frequently refer to the Martian natives as "Marjuns." I've been listening to this podcast for over a year and it only recently dawned that it's not just the exaggerated drawl all the actors are using, it's a play on "Injuns."

-Tabby
the princess with claws
Old 03 June 2014, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxy Lady View Post
I just recently figured out that the Chicago Bears (football team) and the Chicago Cubs (baseball team) are basically the same animal - just adult and child (bear and bearcub). I'd never put two and two together.
Indiana has two horse related teams; Pacers (NBA) and Colts (NFL).
Old 04 June 2014, 11:18 AM

Not exactly "recently", but it wasn't until I was well into adulthood - in my late 30's - before I realized that The Beatles wasn't just a quirky misspelling of "beetle".

OK, you can stop laughing now.

In my defense, I grew up with The Beatles as part of my general environment (who questions how much nitrogen is in the air they breath?), and I had no reason to question the name, especially with all sorts of strange band names (The Who? Led Zeppelin? Strawberry Alarm Clock?) floating around.

But still....