snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 13 March 2018, 04:38 PM

Crash

My extended family was not normal vis-a-vis their attitudes toward my mother, my brother, and myself. It raged from open dislike (toward my mom) to indifference (toward my brother and myself). Hell I didn't even realize I had grandparents until I was around 11 years old. My Dad's parents were just that: his parents whom we visited once a month on a Sunday afternoon.
I hear people talking about their extended families and I get confused. You mean your grandmother actually knows you exist? You actually like getting together with aunts/uncles/cousins/nieces/nephews?! You generally get along with your family?! Damn, what's that like?
Old 13 March 2018, 06:26 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
You generally get along with your family?! Damn, what's that like?
It's terrific. My immediate family has always gotten along well, and I was more or less adopted into my BIL's family when my sister got married.

On the slightly less close side, I have a lot of cousins on my Mother's side who are very close to each other, but because none of them voluntarily visit relatives outside of Michigan (not even the one who is a flight attendant), I am not close to any of them. Apparently, roads only run into Michigan, they don't leave.

I never knew my father's parents (his mother and bio-father died before I was born; his stepfather died before I was a year old), so I can sympathize about not knowing grandparents (or being known by them, in turn).

Seaboe
Old 14 March 2018, 12:30 AM

Champs-Élysées means "Elysian Fields" in French.
Old 14 March 2018, 06:54 PM

Glasses

I just found out that Joe Cobb, the "fat kid" in 86 of the "Our Gang" comedies (mostly the silent ones), worked for one of TBC's heritage companies for almost 40 years. He retired in 1981, and died in 2002.

Seaboe
Old 15 March 2018, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
I hear people talking about their extended families and I get confused. You mean your grandmother actually knows you exist? You actually like getting together with aunts/uncles/cousins/nieces/nephews?! You generally get along with your family?! Damn, what's that like?
I didn't know my paternal grandparents but my maternal grandparents were two of my favourite people. It didn't hurt that they thought I hung the moon . It was only when I had a grandchild myself that I understood why they felt that way about plain, boring old me. Yes, do ask me about my grandchild, go on I dare you .
Old 15 March 2018, 06:13 AM

You've got a grandchild? What age? And how is s/he doing?

Old 17 March 2018, 06:09 PM

As I was going home yesterday I figured out that my office building does in fact have a passenger elevator. I've been working there for just over a year now and I never realized it was there. I'd always thought it was a little strange that the only elevator I could find was the freight elevator, which has prominent signs stating that it isn't a passenger elevator. When I mentioned it here a while back snopesters told me that due to the age of the building and the fact that it's only two stories the ADA might not require a passenger elevator. But there is one -- it's off by itself in a little room off the lobby. I never really thought much about what was beyond that door; I probably just assumed it was a storage closet or something. But last night I actually noticed that the sign on the door says "elevator", and I looked through the window and yup, there's an elevator in there. I'd probably set up that way for security reasons; the security guard has to press a button to unlock the door to allow anyone to proceed beyond the lobby.
Old 19 March 2018, 01:27 AM

I just figured out that the actors Mark Duplass ("Creep" and "The Mindy Project") and Ron Livingston ("Office Space" and "Search Party") are two different people. For years I've been seeing one or the other in movies and thinking "Hey! It's that guy!" But they're two different guys.
Old 19 March 2018, 02:19 AM

I had a similar experience involving cats. When I first moved into this house my neighbor's black cat would come visit my backyard. Except the cat seemed to have two different personalities. Sometimes it would act friendly and let me pet it, while other times it would act scared and run away. I eventually realized that's because they were two different, very similar looking, black cats that were visiting my yard.
Old 19 March 2018, 02:59 AM

For years I also thought Vincent D'Onofrio and Vince Vaughn were the same person. My mind was blown when I saw "Thumbsucker," which they both appear in.
Old 20 March 2018, 08:10 PM

There is a mug in our cabinet that we've had for probably more than 10 years. I rarely use it as it's a little smaller than the other mugs, so I only will grab it if I just want a small amount of a beverage or if I"m having ice cream or something.

I just set it out along with another mug for company that's coming for tea. The "small" mug is actually the same as all the others. Perhaps a bit wider as it has a flared lip at the top for tea strings. I have definitely seen it next to other mugs before. I don't know how I have perpetuated this misconception for so long.
Old 21 March 2018, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravo View Post
I just set it out along with another mug for company that's coming for tea. The "small" mug is actually the same as all the others. Perhaps a bit wider as it has a flared lip at the top for tea strings. I have definitely seen it next to other mugs before. I don't know how I have perpetuated this misconception for so long.
No, no; it simply had time to finish maturing, which is best accomplished (if the mug has been plucked form the vine early) by storing it with other, mature mugs in a cupboard for several years. Perfectly natural process.
Old 21 March 2018, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crius of CoH View Post
No, no; it simply had time to finish maturing, which is best accomplished (if the mug has been plucked form the vine early) by storing it with other, mature mugs in a cupboard for several years. Perfectly natural process.
Thanks for the reassurance of my sanity.
Old 21 March 2018, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veruca View Post
I just figured out that the actors Mark Duplass ("Creep" and "The Mindy Project") and Ron Livingston ("Office Space" and "Search Party") are two different people. For years I've been seeing one or the other in movies and thinking "Hey! It's that guy!" But they're two different guys.
When I looked them up to see who you were referring to, I found two sites that remark on the similarity of those two plus Kyle Chandler.

I believe I have some degree of face blindness, but I don't have trouble telling those 3 apart. I think I key in on certain features (without knowing which), which can lead to me confusing some faces that other people don't see as very similar, but still being able to distinguish others that may generally be viewed as similar.
Old 21 March 2018, 06:48 PM

Yesterday I knew there there was something that I had wanted to post in this thread, but I couldn't remember what it was. I just recently figured out what it was I wanted to post.

Oh, I guess I should post that thing, too. When I saw the play The Book of Mormon a few weeks ago, I assumed the name of the character General Butt-NFBSKing Naked was just invented by Trey Parker and Matt Stone. I mean, it is the sort of thing they would do. But I just learned that the name is based on the real General Butt Naked, a real commander in the Liberian Civil War who claims he led his troops into battle naked.
Old 21 March 2018, 10:04 PM

What I'm about to type may not make sense at first.

Today I learned that my car can be too dirty to use cruise control...

Yup... my car has Smart Cruise Control, which means I can not only set a speed but also a following distance. The car will automatically apply the gas or the brake as needed to maintain both.

Today during my drive to work the dirty spray coming from big trucks ahead of me got the sensor on the front bumper so grimy that my SCC just shut down because it couldn't get a good reading.
Old 21 March 2018, 10:14 PM

Borg

And here's a meta example!!

I started this thread talking about Locutus of Borg aka Captain Picard. I used the "evil eyes" icon, and I just NOW realized that there is an actual Locutus icon I could have used. Years later, and I'm just now seeing that! D'OH!!
Old 21 March 2018, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
But I just learned that the name is based on the real General Butt Naked, a real commander in the Liberian Civil War who claims he led his troops into battle naked.
Blimey:

Quote:
We were nude, fearless, drunk yet strategic.
If not for sounding utterly terrifying and (if you believe even half of it) pretty evil, I'd say he has a good turn of phrase there...
Old 22 March 2018, 01:25 AM

Mouse

What's really "utterly terrifying and pretty evil," is that basically General Butt Naked was a child soldier who began his career at age eleven.
Old 13 June 2018, 08:43 PM

I just realized the other day that Pink Floyd's famous ending of "Another Brick in the Wall, Part 2" -- "If you don't eat your meat, you cant have any pudding!" is using "pudding" in the British sense of the word, meaning "dessert". Since (American) pudding is a food that would be typically served for dessert it doesn't really change the meaning all that much, but it's something that I just figured out.