snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 01 March 2018, 12:05 AM

It's been on for awhile, but I just recently started watching "Crazy Ex-Girlfriend" because of all the good reviews it's been getting. I'm about halfway through season one and really enjoying it. I like the way it explores mental health issues in a funny but not insulting way. I think the key is that the show makes jokes from the perspective of people who deal with these issues, not from an "outsider pointing and laughing" perspective. Also, catchy songs!
Old 01 March 2018, 01:18 PM

Something new to me (it's currently in season 3). Life in Pieces.

I find at least one of the stories every episode is laugh out loud funny. Dianne Wiest and James Brolin are adorable as the parents. Love Colin Hanks (who can be eerily like his dad sometimes)
Old 12 March 2018, 02:12 AM

Finished binge-watching season two of Jessica Jones.

I figured they would have trouble making it as intense as season one, as the story in that season was so personal for the heroine.

Yeah, about that....

The resolution to the main story? OK, if you're looking for happy and uplifting, probably not the right show, but you probably knew that already. But the specific way it happens? .....NFBSK.

I suppose I liked it, if that's the right word...

I'm going to go get a massage now.

"If you say 'With great power comes great responsibility,' I swear I'll throw up on you."

Last edited by E. Q. Taft; 12 March 2018 at 02:20 AM.
Old 12 March 2018, 02:37 AM

I'm about 2/3rds of the way through, and yeah.
Old 12 March 2018, 02:49 AM

Mouse

I wish all you Jessica Jones fans godspeed. Me, I could only make it through a few episodes of season one. It is a good, well-crafted show deserving of all laud and praise, but it also disturbs me on such a visceral level that I just couldn’t.
Old 12 March 2018, 03:34 AM

Oh, no argument there, and it was intentional. But it was done well, and to me, at least, Jessica is the only main character in the Defenders lineup who's actually interesting in her own right. Daredevil was okay the first season but got too messed up the second season, Luke Cage was better as a supporting character in Jessica Jones that on his own, and Iron Fist was a smarmy jackass who should have worn a mask so that they could have put in a stunt double that could throw a realistic looking punch.
Old 12 March 2018, 04:21 AM

The problem with Jessica Jones in the Defenders was that she didn't really have a unique side. All four of them are basically brawlers (none of them shoot energy beams or fly or are psychic or whatever), but Daredevil also has his special senses, Luke Cage is bulletprooof, Iron Fist has...well...the Iron Fist, and Jessica...has super strength, but Luke Cage had that covered, too. Of course she has the detective thing, and they did use that a bit, but still, it was hard to feel like she wasn't a little redundant -- which is too bad, as of the solo shows, I definitely like hers the best. (Daredevil and Iron Fist also both had direct tie-ins with the Hand, and were more tied into the plot than either Luke or Jessica.)
Old 12 March 2018, 07:02 AM

Overall, I think Jessica is stronger than Luke based on the feats that the two of them perform. But I was just talking about the different characters in what we've seen across all their shows rather than just The Defenders by itself (which I was rather unimpressed by).
Old 13 March 2018, 05:28 PM

I watched the first two episodes of Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. I've really liked what I've seen so far, particularly the portrayal of New York in the 1950s. It's at least up to this point perhaps a bit less about the stand up comedy scene of the day than I expected and more about Midge's relationships with her family and the expectations put on women in that era (not that that's a bad thing). And it's got Tony Shalhoub using math as a metaphor for relationships.
Old 13 March 2018, 07:19 PM

WildaBeast, I have seen the first 5 episodes now, and the show just gets better. I hope to watch the rest soon, but that means my wife and I have to be home at the same time, without kids, and have nothing else that needs to be done. It might take a while.
Old 15 March 2018, 03:01 PM

I’ve watched about 15 minutes of the first episode of Harrow and…it certainly hit the ground running.

For those who don’t know, it’s about a forensic pathologist (Ioan Gruffudd) who’s a complete rule-breaker, but he still gets the job done.

Oh, and it’s filmed right here in Brisbane. Which is an odd thing to find in Australian TV for adults (Jonathan M. Shiff’s shows are filmed in Queensland, but they’re for kids).

Also, apparently it’s the only show that I can call an ABC show without confusing Americans (The show is produced by Disney’s ABC Studios and the Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
Old 15 March 2018, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusenkyo no Pikachu View Post
Oh, and it’s filmed right here in Brisbane. Which is an odd thing to find in Australian TV for adults (Jonathan M. Shiff’s shows are filmed in Queensland, but they’re for kids).

Also, apparently it’s the only show that I can call an ABC show without confusing Americans (The show is produced by Disney’s ABC Studios and the Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
It's an ABC show, but it's not for kids?
I thought all shows that teach you ABC were kids shows...

Old 16 March 2018, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusenkyo no Pikachu View Post
I’ve watched about 15 minutes of the first episode of Harrow and…it certainly hit the ground running.

For those who don’t know, it’s about a forensic pathologist (Ioan Gruffudd) who’s a complete rule-breaker, but he still gets the job done.

Oh by both ABC stations? That is confusing. I have it on my hard drive and will watch it. The only problem I have with shows filmed locally I spend a lot of time trying to figure out where in the city they are actually filmed rather then concentrating on the plot. This is more of a problem when they film in Brisbane but are pretending to be somewhere else. Cause I keep telling my self where it actually is rather then were they are pretending it is...if you get my meaning. But since I understand this is not only filmed in Brisbane but set in Brissie I am guessing it will be ok.

Ioan Gruffudd certainly get around, the last thing I saw him in was in "Forever" filmed in the US.
Old 16 March 2018, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasla View Post
The only problem I have with shows filmed locally I spend a lot of time trying to figure out where in the city they are actually filmed rather then concentrating on the plot. This is more of a problem when they film in Brisbane but are pretending to be somewhere else. Cause I keep telling my self where it actually is rather then were they are pretending it is...if you get my meaning.
As in Cybergirl, where you’re supposed to be thinking that the Brisbane Powerhouse is the “River City Museum”?

Quote:
Ioan Gruffudd certainly get around, the last thing I saw him in was in "Forever" filmed in the US.
The first thing I ever saw him in was The Secret Of Moonacre, which was filmed in Hungary. To be fair to that one, the entire cast of that movie was British (and the movie was set in Fantasy Britain)
Old 23 March 2018, 04:24 AM

Icon220

I've never watched any of RuPaul's Drag Race before but I just bingewatched all of season 9 in preparation for season 10.

TWO QUEENS STAND BEFORE ME!
Old 04 April 2018, 09:40 PM

Season 2 of Legion started last night, and it was excellent. The show is a total mindf**k with incredible production values. And I'm still unsure of which characters, if any, are real outside of David's mind.
Old 05 April 2018, 02:44 PM

I've been watching Deception. It is another entry in the 'random job is better at police work than the police' genre - I would call it sort of a cross between Leverage and Castle. In this particular version, it is a stage illusionist and his team working to help the FBI while tracking down the illusionist that framed his twin brother and partner for murder.
Sounds a bit ridiculous, but the cast is fun. If you like the particular genre, then you would probably like this show.
Old 05 April 2018, 05:35 PM

That sounds a lot like the show about the TV Psychic who was helping the FBI catch the guy who murdered his wife.
Old 05 April 2018, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
That sounds a lot like the show about the TV Psychic who was helping the FBI catch the guy who murdered his wife.
Ah, The Mentalist. I didn't think of that one, since I didn't watch it much. I was team Psych all the way on that one.
Old 05 April 2018, 08:29 PM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Credence View Post
I've been watching Deception. It is another entry in the 'random job is better at police work than the police' genre - I would call it sort of a cross between Leverage and Castle. In this particular version, it is a stage illusionist and his team working to help the FBI while tracking down the illusionist that framed his twin brother and partner for murder.
Sounds a bit ridiculous, but the cast is fun. If you like the particular genre, then you would probably like this show.
"I couldn't kill anyone! I'm from Wisconsin!" It's a cute show.