snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Police Blotter

Old 31 December 2017, 04:17 AM

Default Vandals kill at least 50,000 bees in Iowa

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/va...z&ocid=U007DHP

Quote:
SIOUX CITY, Iowa -- The future of a honey business in Sioux Falls, Iowa, is uncertain after vandals destroyed dozens of their beehives, CBS affiliate KMEG reports. The owners of Wild Hill Honey said they discovered that 50 beehives were destroyed when they went to clear off snow on Thursday.

The owner, Justin Engelhardt, told KMEG that the incident basically wipes out his business and that it will be impossible to recover from. He said that thousands of bees died from vandalism.
I got nothing here. This is just not cool on so many levels.
Old 31 December 2017, 08:49 AM

And the people responded:
Quote:
Community donates $20,000 to beekeepers after hives destroyed by vandals
Old 31 December 2017, 10:12 PM

Thank you for posting that, DC, it’s heartening. I hope they buy some security equipment along with their new bees.
Old 20 January 2018, 08:10 AM

Quote:
The boys aged 12 and 13 are charged with three offences.

The boys have been charged with criminal mischief, agricultural animal facilities offences, burglary, aggravated misdemeanour and possession of burglar's tools.
US police arrest two boys after vandalism killed 500k bees

I really don't understand how anybody could do such a thing.
Old 20 January 2018, 05:25 PM

And sadly, this wasn't the only case....here's another recent case from California.

200,000 bees die when vandals topple hives, pour gas on them

Like everyone else, I can't even begin to understand why the NFBSKing hell someone could do this.

Last edited by Mochrie99; 20 January 2018 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Added location of other recent case
Old 20 January 2018, 07:22 PM

Baseball

One of my retirement hobbies is going to be a beekeeper. The long haired general has an uncle who does it professionally out west. I want to do it for fun down east. So, I know I'll get advice without compromising his market.

Bees have been the subject of a lot of my reading lately (past 3 years). Incredible creatures. They don't deserve this treatment.

Frankly, humanity it seems does not deserve the bee.
Old 21 January 2018, 02:38 AM

Mouse

Yeah, bees produce delicious honey and pollinize crops. Now, wasps are the assholes of the insect kingdom. Bees only sting if they feel threatened and when they do, their stinger gets stuck in their target and the bee dies afterwards. Wasps, on the other hand, don't produce honey and they will sting you for no other reason except that they can, because for some reason, while bees die after stinging you, the same isn't true of wasps. Wasps are just a-holes.
Old 21 January 2018, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
Yeah, bees produce delicious honey and pollinize crops. Now, wasps are the assholes of the insect kingdom.
Yeah, a lot of people seem to be ignorant of this. I was riding public transit a few years ago when somehow a bee managed to get onboard. I wasn't to bothered by it, but a couple of teenagers on board were like "Oh my god, a bee! Kill it!" and proceeded to try to swat it.
Old 21 January 2018, 05:02 AM

Wasps are the thin yellow line between us and spiders.
Old 21 January 2018, 01:19 PM

Wasps and spiders are both highly beneficial.

They eat large numbers of other small critters which, unchecked, would do huge amounts of damage to vegetation: including but not limited to food crops that humans intend to eat.

Wasps also are pollinators. Honeybees are for many (not all) plant species more efficient, and they're certainly easier for humans to control and move around; I agree that we badly need honeybees; but there are a lot of things besides honeybees which pollinate, and wasps are among them. Wasps (and some other bee species) will also often be actively pollinating in weather in which honeybees stay inside the hive.

So, if you like your dinner, say thank you very nicely to the wasps and spiders, as well as the bees. And kindly quit squashing them (which is only more likely to get you stung, anyway.)

[end rant. at least temporarily.]
Old 22 January 2018, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
Bees have been the subject of a lot of my reading lately (past 3 years). Incredible creatures. They don't deserve this treatment.
Yes they are. When I was a tween I became a bit obsessed with bees. My uncle had a few hives and we had one in our yard. My class presentation for about three years running was on bees. My classmates were probably sick of it but as we had different teachers I got good marks.

One day the bees in our yard were preferring to swarm. I knew what was happening and told my Dad, he rang his brother who came and got them before he lost them all.

I am not sure if my Uncle still has bees, I a 99% sure he doesn't. He has a family and unlike his brother and sister, isn't particularly career minded.

One of the places Mum and Dad housesat for had a hive of Australian native bees. Australian native bees are stingless and are better for Australian plants then the European honey bee. But the European bees are good for many of our commercial crop plants, so we need both.

Despite having a hive in our yard for quite a few years I never got stung. I have only been stung once. I was on campus and my friends and I were going to lunch. They were a bit ahead of me and the bee stung me. I was about to call them and then thought "You know what to do from your earlier research, don't panic, remove it correctly and just hope you aren't allergic" So I removed the sting correctly and got on with my day. It really didn't hurt much.
Old 22 January 2018, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasla View Post
Australian native bees are stingless...
I call shullbit on this. There is no way that there is a creature in Australia that is less wanting to hurt you than a similar creature elsewhere.
Old 22 January 2018, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
There is no way that there is a creature in Australia that is less wanting to hurt you than a similar creature elsewhere.
No, they don't sting. They do bite, claw, randomly explode on contact, give off incredibly strong acid that will blind you if it gets into your eyes and scar your skin, but they don't sting.
Old 22 January 2018, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
I call shullbit on this. There is no way that there is a creature in Australia that is less wanting to hurt you than a similar creature elsewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfresh View Post
No, they don't sting. They do bite, claw, randomly explode on contact, give off incredibly strong acid that will blind you if it gets into your eyes and scar your skin, but they don't sting.
I thought that they fired energy pulses from over the shoulder launchers...