snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Horrors

Old 18 February 2007, 06:40 PM
Ezri

Icon402 Last House on the Left

Okay I did a search for this, but I'll I came up with was the Amityville house and by a lesser extent, the Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Last House On The Left was a movie done in the 80's by Wes Craven. It's a movie about two girls who go to a concert in New York city only to be captured by thee psycho men and a crazy woman. Through amazing coincidence the attackers bring the two girls out into the country and park their car only feet away from the drive way of one of the girls house. They then proceed to take both of the girls into the forest and rape, torture, and kill them. Not knowing that one of the girl's house is about a mile away from where the attackers are, they wash the blood off and knock on the door and are invited to stay the night until a tow truck can come and get their broken down car. The parents figure out somehow that these people attacked and killed their daughter, and enact their revenge.

At the beginning of this movie, it says that these events are based on true facts. It all seems way too "perfect" to be based on a true story, but I mean stranger things have happened right? Anyone know the validity of this story?
Old 18 February 2007, 09:28 PM

I"ve heard of this movie of course, but I've never been interested in seeing it.
I did manage to track down a site that confirmed by belief that is is based on an earlies foreign language movie.

Quote:
An opening title card informs us that “The following is based on a true story. The names have been changed to protect those still living.” One assumes that was reckoned to have slightly more horror movie street cred than “The following is based on a much-respected Swedish art film
The name of the Swedish film is Jungfrukällan

http://www.1000misspenthours.com/rev...eontheleft.htm
Old 18 February 2007, 11:16 PM

First off the movie is from the very early 70's and is based on Ingmar Bergman's film The Virgin Spring. Never recall it based on a true story. Wes Craven's other films A Nightmare on Elm Street and The Hills Have Eyes are very loosely based a small nuggets of truth. Elm Street was inspired by a couple of people suffering from horrific nightmares and eventually dying from them. The latter is based on either a real event or folklore that happened in the 16th or 17th century in England IIRC.
Old 19 February 2007, 12:03 AM
Ezri

Sorry, I meant 70's but I typed 80's, go figure. Thanks for the info though guys.
Old 19 February 2007, 06:03 PM

actually it's set in 14th century Sweden, and while I'm sure girls were raped and killed at that time period as well as the present, I doubt that any of them had a spring appear when the body was moved, or that anyone's sister was converted from Paganism by bathing in the spring, or had their peasant father "vow that, although he cannot understand God, he will build a church at the site of his daughter's death."
It doesn't strike me so much as an actual 14th century legend, as much as a 20th century attempt to use legendary motifs and ideas to tell a story.
Old 27 February 2007, 05:40 PM
teddtlove

Default IMDB

IMDB message board on Last House actually has the orginal "poem" it was based on. I do not know how to link things or I would link it. There was also a movie just recently that had the same plot but was not called a remake. I think it was titled Chaos.