snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 26 February 2019, 02:48 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudding Crawl View Post
I've not seen the other film (likewise, no Hulu) so this could be completely irrelevent and demolished by watching an interview with him, but everything concrete/specific he did seemed to be in service of something more nebulous. Not to set up companies or organise legendary beach shindigs, but be known for having done so and all the glory that would nab for him.
The difference between 'his company will provide you a decent service, use them' or 'his events are sound, I'm in' and 'he's behind that thing that happened! Never mind what the thing was, it was proper astounding. So he must be too.'
I found your whole post interesting, but I’m being a polite poster and just quoting part of it.

In addition to all you’ve mentioned, what’s really interesting is that after the festival went down like the Hindenburg, McFarland is, natch, facing a whole lot of negative press and the authorities are breathing down his neck. Yet despite all this, McFarland tries to pull off another con. Even though the authorities have him and his entire life under a microscope, he decides to pull another con, and it’s one so obvious, it could be defeated via fewer than five minutes on Google.

You’re just like, “Why?” Couldn’t you have waited a couple more months for the heat to die down?
Old 26 February 2019, 04:17 AM

Wolf

It’s like the parable of the scorpion and the fox. Which apparently originated with a frog or turtle lieu of a fox. Still, I think a fox works better from a narrative standpoint, an otherwise crafty animal done in by its misplaced trust in a creature that does not deserve it.
Old 27 February 2019, 01:14 AM

Mouse

I’m trying to figure out who is the fox and who is the scorpion, when it comes to the Fyre Festival clusterNFBSK.
Old 27 February 2019, 02:43 AM

Teacher

MacFarland is clearly the scorpion. Although some people seem to think it’s #hilarious for #rich #white #privileged #millenials to get scammed by a two-faced piece of shit con artist just for wanting to have a good time, I don’t. Let’s be clear. He didn’t have money from the credit card venture because he was so successful, he had it because it, too, was a half-baked con job. That’s three scams: the credit card, the festival, and the NFBSK NFBSK games he played with the distro list after getting arrested.
Old 27 February 2019, 05:01 AM

So the festival attendees are the fox/frog/whatever? But where was the moment of doubt where they looked at McFarland, noticed he was a scorpion, but rationalized that it would be OK because they were in this together? And where does the media company fit in?
Old 27 February 2019, 05:44 AM

Wolf

I suppose I didn’t make the context of my reply clear. I was specifically responding to this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
You’re just like, “Why?” Couldn’t you have waited a couple more months for the heat to die down?
Because he’s a scoripion. Metaphorically speaking, I mean. It’s not meant to imply that any of the festival attendees "should have known better" but rather to illustrate my point, shared by some of the interview subjects, that even now he won’t change. He'll probably do a really good job of convincing people he’s changed some day, but he should never have access to other people’s money again, outside of maybe working retail (not because there’s anything wrong with retail, just accepting that as a practical matter it may be necessary for society to assume some very low level of risk so he doesn’t end up perpetually unemployed when he gets out of prison). But then I wouldn’t want him handling my credit card information, so...

Anyway, if I were to pick a fox (not that I ref'd the parable to imply there is one—more of as a cautionary tale for how I see his future playing out), I’d maybe say some of his high-dollar investors who stuck with him after the credit card debacle.
Old 27 February 2019, 12:24 PM

Deer

Wait, are you saying the whole festival was a bunch of furries, ASL? Did a lot of people dress like scorpions? Would scorpions even belong at a furry convention, since they are not furry? Are there conventions of people who dress like insects and arachnids? Do they get looked down upon by other furries, or are they at the same conventions?
Old 27 February 2019, 08:07 PM

Deer

Would you care to guess what my favorite scene in The Killing of a Sacred Deer was?
Old 27 February 2019, 08:46 PM

The post-credits scene where the sacred deer suddenly opens its eyes?
Old 28 February 2019, 12:22 AM

Deer

"Do you understand? It's metaphorical. My example, it's a metaphor. I mean, it's uh... it's symbolic."
Old 01 March 2019, 02:31 AM

Mouse

I suppose McFarland is the scorpion, but goddangit, when I picture a scorpion/villain, I expect there to be some competence involved. Again, he’s facing all kinds of allegations regarding Fyre and rather than keeping his head down until things have quieted down, he orchestrates another con, one so poorly executed that it could be defeated via a five minute Google search.

Ugh! I know I’ve said that the modern GOP has all the prejudices of their predecessors, but none of the work ethic, but apparently all our modern-day villains suck, possessing no work ethic or any amount of basic cunning. Again, there’s honor in being bested by a good villain; there’s no honor in being used and screwed over by someone too stupid to be a villain on Power Rangers.

I dug around on Wikipedia and Google, hoping to find out more about McFarland’s family, because the vibe I’m getting, is that he’s another rich boy born on third base who thinks he hit a triple. But I couldn’t find out much regarding his background, but again, I get a stupid rich kid vibe from him.

Further proof as to why we should eat the rich: those who survive, would have been forced to :gasp: do some actual work, develop some cunning and a sense of strategy, something besides coast on their family name and throw money around.
Old 01 March 2019, 05:57 AM

Ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
I suppose McFarland is the scorpion, but goddangit, when I picture a scorpion/villain, I expect there to be some competence involved. Again, he’s facing all kinds of allegations regarding Fyre and rather than keeping his head down until things have quieted down, he orchestrates another con, one so poorly executed that it could be defeated via a five minute Google search.
Sure, but in the parable the scorpion literally condemns itself to die because, spoiler alert, it can’t resist the urge to sting the animal that is carrying it on its back across a stream of water. It’s a stupid move, one that the scorpion simply cannot resist even as it knows the almost certain outcome in advance. It’s in its nature.

And MacFarland's nature, I believe, is to be a con artist.

Quote:
there’s honor in being bested by a good villain
Is that your personal experience in being bested by villains? Like, if you woke up tomorrow, your bank account was empty, and there was a $250,000 loan taken out in your name and the police were just flummoxed as to what happened, and insisted the criminal was just too damn clever to catch, even convinced you of the same, that you’d feel honored?

I suspect the vast majority of con artists and other thieves have always and will always, despite our romantic notions of capable villainy or the myth of the mobster who would have been successful in any enterprise he set out upon, aim to do as little work as possible themselves and will rely on basic social engineering that you learn in grade school, like "people won’t follow up if you through a bunch of obstacles and lies in their way" or "people can be cowed into silence if you express outrage at even being questioned" or the old classic "if you 'look' honest,(take that how you will) people will assume you’re honest, particularly if they’ve known you for more than five minutes" to scam as many people out of as much money as possible and just cross their fingers or outright assume that either a) the police will never find out, or b) everyone is really as dumb and gullible as they think they are and will never ever learn.
Old 01 March 2019, 01:54 PM

Maybe, its a nitpick, but the scorpion is not a villain, he's just a scorpion doing what scorpions do.
Old 01 March 2019, 02:05 PM

Ponder

Depends on your definition of villain. Perhaps he's more properly classed as an anti-villain?
Old 01 March 2019, 05:07 PM

He's a scorpion, not an ant.

Sorry. I'll take care of it.
Old 01 March 2019, 09:22 PM

So he's an arach-villian.