snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > The Bad Gastronomer

Old 05 October 2017, 10:12 PM

Seems a good time to link to this xkcd strip.

Old 05 October 2017, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
I give you, "Aqua Hydrate". It has elevated alkalinity, twice the electrolytes as other brands, and is pure* water.

Also, I'm a bit doubtful of the science behind alkaline water when the first hit on a Google search of how it is made returns a recipe of lemons in water.

* Pure except for, you know, the electrolytes and alkalines.
I thought, nah, that can't really be true, right? No one would say lemon water is alkaline. So I searched, and yep, there it is. With an explanation that lemons are anionic so they cause the water to become alkaline as you drink it. And if that doesn't work, you can put in pH drops that you buy at a health food store.
I was also going to post the xkcd strip if you hadn't.
Old 05 October 2017, 10:49 PM

In terms of the actual ingredient list, manufacturers figured out that sugary cereals have better looking ingredient lists if they use several different kinds of sugar instead of just sugar. Back when only sugar was regularly used in kids cereals they had sugar listed as the first ingredient. Now they use a couple different sugars (sugar, corn syrup, ...) so they get the same amount of sugar but now wheat (or corn, or something else that isn't sugar) is listed first.
Old 05 October 2017, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
On the other hand, if they won't allow this, I don't think they should allow "aqua" in beauty or cleansing products. It's freaking water, put water.
That's part of an international standard, not an attempt to confuse people. If anything, the opposite... it's actually a legal requirement in the EU. Standards can't always be in English.

In the USA apparently they're only meant to put aqua in brackets after "water" (or vice versa), so in fact it's already mandated to call it "water" there:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intern...ic_Ingredients
https://www.fda.gov/Cosmetics/Labeli...ucm2005218.htm
Old 05 October 2017, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittykins View Post
Kind of like a certain radio station claiming that it was “Syracuse’s Number 1 oldies station.” Umm, at the time, they were Syracuse’s only oldies station.
Which technically is true. It's not a very significant bragging right to be sure, but it is true and it sounds good!
Old 06 October 2017, 07:20 AM

Sometime in the 1990's, when MIR space station was still around, the then new brand Bruno Banani underwear presented the Russian space agency with a bunch of briefs to be worn by the cosmonauts on the space station. After that, the company marketed the model as "space proof"!

I liked the claim that this underwear can hold your things together even in zero gravity so much, I actually bought the model. I still like the brand.
Old 06 October 2017, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittykins View Post
Kind of like a certain radio station claiming that it was “Syracuse’s Number 1 oldies station.” Umm, at the time, they were Syracuse’s only oldies station.
My favorite daughter would agree
Old 06 October 2017, 03:38 PM

One of the local TV stations used to advertise that they had the fastest weather radar. I figured that if they had found a way to break the speed of light, they were really wasting it on just weather radar.

Currently, a station is advertising lightning-fast weather radar. Which means it is way slower than other radar stations.

Not sure what it is about the Phoenix area that keeps altering the speed of radar. I blame the vortexes in Sedona.
Old 06 October 2017, 06:04 PM

I always liked "Save up to thirty percent - or more!"
Old 07 October 2017, 09:53 PM

Food that is basically 100% sugar labelled as "fat free".
Food that is basically 100% fat labelled as "sugar free".
Old 08 October 2017, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoKu View Post
So, I guess what makes a Subaru a Subaru is just blowing head gaskets.
I want to know how Subaru does their quality control. How do they verify that each car has been sufficiently loved? What is the threshold for enough love to make it a Subaru? Does every employee involved in production have to add love or is there a designated love-installer who adds all the love? What happens when one or more employees on Subaru's production line are having a bad day? Do they shut down production and scrap all the cars that were produced with grumpiness instead of love? Do they sell the unloved product under another brand name? If I buy a "Subaru," and I find out that it out it wasn't loved and thus isn't truly a Subaru, can I return it and/or sue the company for fraud?
Old 09 October 2017, 12:19 AM

I can't be the only one thinking of this when I read the headline, can I?

https://youtu.be/SdAMR22aBJ0?t=19s
Old 09 October 2017, 06:23 AM

The Guardian: Think you’re too smart to be taken in by silly food labels? Think again

Quote:
The bakery that tried to list ‘love’ as a granola ingredient may not have got away with it, but elsewhere dubious and confusing labelling is rife – and it is ruining our diets
Interesting article, with some more background on what may be in that granola apart from love (insects crawling in the bakery) and what the "freefrom" labelling is doing to our diets.
Old 09 October 2017, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Enrico View Post
what the "freefrom" labelling is doing to our diets.
I've thought for quite a while now that this is a very odd society in being more interested in what isn't in our food than in what is in it.

Judging by some labels, the ideal thing to eat would have nothing in it whatsoever (but, nevertheless, be something that people would pay for. Probably pay extra for.)

-- Yes, I know there are people who are genuinely allergic. It's the degree of prominence on the labels of 'No X' (which they think you don't want) as opposed to the degree of prominence of 'contains Y' (which you probably do want, at least if you're interested in that product) that I'm talking about.
Old 09 October 2017, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
I've thought for quite a while now that this is a very odd society in being more interested in what isn't in our food than in what is in it.
A few years ago I read somewhere (or possibly heard on NPR) in one of the numerous stories about how millennials are different from older generations that supposedly millennials are more likely to be swayed by a label indicating the presence of a positive thing (Such as "Good source of protein!") as opposed to one indicating the absence of a negative thing (Like "Fat free!"). So maybe that attitude is changing.
Old 09 October 2017, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Q. Taft View Post
I always liked "Save up to thirty percent - or more!"
Old 09 October 2017, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
A few years ago I read somewhere (or possibly heard on NPR) in one of the numerous stories about how millennials are different from older generations that supposedly millennials are more likely to be swayed by a label indicating the presence of a positive thing (Such as "Good source of protein!") as opposed to one indicating the absence of a negative thing (Like "Fat free!"). So maybe that attitude is changing.
Oh, great -- so millennials are killing our traditional advertising too? Damn kids. Next thing you know they'll be staying off my lawn without being told -- then what will I have to do?
Old 10 October 2017, 02:43 AM

Complain that they're not mowing it?
Old 10 October 2017, 04:35 AM

You can still complain about their music.
Old 11 October 2017, 04:18 PM

Icon86

How much you want to bet that someone somewhere is creating some glurge based on this?