snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > The Bad Gastronomer

Old 05 October 2017, 05:33 AM

Chef FDA Says 'Love' Isn't An Ingredient In Granola

Quote:
The Food and Drug Administration wants the Nashoba Brook Bakery to remove the word "love" from its ingredients on granola. But owner John Gates thinks this is not FDA's business.
http://www.npr.org/2017/10/04/555710...ent-in-granola
Old 05 October 2017, 06:05 AM

You'd think they would be more cautious about dismissing an ingredient so addictive. Warning labels. That's what it needs.
Old 05 October 2017, 09:47 AM

Can Mr Gates tell us exactly how many grams of love are mixed into a batch of his granola?
Old 05 October 2017, 11:48 AM

I think the issue is that "love" doesn't say exactly what combination of testosterone, estrogen, dopamine, oxytocin, and vasopressin are present in the granola. Break it down like the sugar and carbs listing, and the FDA would be all thumbs up.
Old 05 October 2017, 12:32 PM

I think that it's not about putting actual love into the granola, it's more about love being in the air at the facility during the manufacturing process.

Maybe if they label it as "may contain traces of love"?

ETA: On a more serious note: If the FDA stays strong on "love" not being allowed in the list of ingredients, maybe the manufacturer should think about an imprint on the box saying "We are not allowed to list Love as an ingredient. We are putting it into our granola anyway!"
Old 05 October 2017, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Enrico View Post
ETA: On a more serious note: If the FDA stays strong on "love" not being allowed in the list of ingredients, maybe the manufacturer should think about an imprint on the box saying "We are not allowed to list Love as an ingredient. We are putting it into our granola anyway!"
or "If we can't put Love in our granola, you can't claim a cake has 'Gay'!"
Old 05 October 2017, 03:36 PM

I think someone is taking the old saying that something was made with love a bit too literally.

Also, this bit from The Big Bang Theory.

Penny: This is the best cobbler I've ever had.
Mary Cooper: It was always Sheldon's favorite. You know what the secret ingredient is?
Penny: Love?
Mary Cooper: Lard.

ETA: On a more serious note, I'm with the FDA on this one. The list of ingredients should be the things that are actually in the product. There is plenty of space on the rest of the packaging for fun, the nutritional information and ingredient list should not be it. On the other hand, if they won't allow this, I don't think they should allow "aqua" in beauty or cleansing products. It's freaking water, put water.
Old 05 October 2017, 04:24 PM

So, I guess what makes a Subaru a Subaru is just blowing head gaskets.
Old 05 October 2017, 04:34 PM

Also heartwarmingly cute dogs.

PS. Dear spellchecker, why is heartwarmingly not in your list but heartrendingly is?
Old 05 October 2017, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Enrico View Post
The wording of this reminds me of a courtroom anecdote from way back:

A woman in Manhattan died and willed her estate to God. To settle the estate a case was filed, naming God as a party thereto. A summons was issued and the court went through the motions of trying to serve it. The final report stated: "After due and diligent search, God cannot be found in the City of New York".

Old 05 October 2017, 06:05 PM

Old 05 October 2017, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
On the other hand, if they won't allow this, I don't think they should allow "aqua" in beauty or cleansing products. It's freaking water, put water.
Quite some time ago (though for all I know they're still doing it) I saw an ad for a skin cream that went on at length about how their product had 'more of the substance that naturally moisturizes your skin!'

I was shouting at the ad, 'The substance that naturally moisturizes your skin is water! You're bragging that your product has more water added to it than the other brands'!'
Old 05 October 2017, 07:50 PM

I was thinking about the ad Tide ran a few years ago claiming other brands of detergent contained water as one of their main ingredients, while Tide has more "cleaning ingredients". They were clearly trying to imply that their competitors water down their detergent. Except I wanted to shout at the ad 1) Water is a necessary ingredient in liquid detergent, and 2) Arguably water is a "cleaning ingredient".
Old 05 October 2017, 07:53 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crius of CoH View Post
The final report stated: "After due and diligent search, God cannot be found in the City of New York".
Crius, you need to read US ex rel. Mayo v. Satan and His Staff. Yes, it's a real case.

Seaboe
Old 05 October 2017, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
Crius, you need to read US ex rel. Mayo v. Satan and His Staff. Yes, it's a real case.

Seaboe
Oh, my, that was awesome! Thanks!
Old 05 October 2017, 09:45 PM

Shout

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
I was shouting at the ad, 'The substance that naturally moisturizes your skin is water! You're bragging that your product has more water added to it than the other brands'!'
Im glad Im not the only person who shouts at senseless ads. I think my most common complaint is, Youre making that up!
Old 05 October 2017, 09:45 PM

I give you, "Aqua Hydrate". It has elevated alkalinity, twice the electrolytes as other brands, and is pure* water.

Also, I'm a bit doubtful of the science behind alkaline water when the first hit on a Google search of how it is made returns a recipe of lemons in water.

* Pure except for, you know, the electrolytes and alkalines.
Old 05 October 2017, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Pink Pill View Post
Im glad Im not the only person who shouts at senseless ads. I think my most common complaint is, Youre making that up!
Since we've already strayed off topic, Jeep used to run ads stating that their SUVs are the only ones that are "trail rated". Of course they're the only ones, because you just made up that term and slapped a badge on your vehicles! And probably trademarked it so no one else can use it, too.
Old 05 October 2017, 10:01 PM

Kind of like a certain radio station claiming that it was “Syracuse’s Number 1 oldies station.” Umm, at the time, they were Syracuse’s only oldies station.
Old 05 October 2017, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
I was thinking about the ad Tide ran a few years ago claiming other brands of detergent contained water as one of their main ingredients, while Tide has more "cleaning ingredients". They were clearly trying to imply that their competitors water down their detergent. Except I wanted to shout at the ad 1) Water is a necessary ingredient in liquid detergent, and 2) Arguably water is a "cleaning ingredient".
Water is sometimes called the "universal solvent" and is indeed a cleaning agent. Water does not have to be an ingredient in liquid detergent. Water is needed in the cleaning process but not in the bottle of detergent.

back to the OP...
"owner John Gates" is an idiot. The list of ingredients isn't some "... farcical aquatic ceremony" (Sorry, saw Holy Grail and John Cleese last Sunday).