snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 26 September 2017, 06:32 PM

United States How the NFL watered down Colin Kaepernick’s protest

It shouldn’t be odd to see Daniel Snyder on an NFL sideline before a game, but it was Sunday night, as his team met the Oakland Raiders. Locking arms with his players during the national anthem after President Trump assailed athletes who take a knee to bring attention to police violence, the owner of Washington’s NFL franchise was taking part in what was ostensibly a protest. That was odd for many reasons: Snyder supported Trump’s campaign and donated $1 million to his inauguration committee. Confronted again with the bigotry inherent in his team’s name, he has casually rebuffed those petitioning for a mascot that fits in an equal America. Men like Snyder make for unlikely freedom fighters.

That doesn’t mean he wouldn’t be welcome as one. But at a moment when wealthy white men banding together to fight white supremacy might actually have an impact, Snyder and several of his fellow team owners opted for an empty gesture.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.41de9321bd37
Old 26 September 2017, 07:07 PM

Is it really an empty gesture? At least they did something. Unlike Nascar owners who said they'd fire anyone who knelt during the national anthem. Which, as Colbert pointed out really is an empty gesture since there is only one driver who is African American. At the very least these owners did send a message to Trump that he doesn't get to dictate to them how they handle their players.
Old 26 September 2017, 07:10 PM

That's the part that gets me. One of the reasons people give for voting for Trump was that they wanted a businessman to come in and run the government like a business. Business people do not, as a general rule, tell other business people "You should fire that guy."
Old 26 September 2017, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
Which, as Colbert pointed out really is an empty gesture since there is only one driver who is African American.
It may be an empty gesture because no NASCAR driver would do it, but you don't have to be African American to protest biased policing. At least one white NFL player has joined, and I hope more will in the future.

As for the OP, Snyder may be an unlikely protester, but it sure says a lot when the owner of a team with a racial slur for a name thinks you're being too oppressive.

Whatever else is wrong with him, Snyder was right to show solidarity with his players. (That said, the statement the team released about working to create unity is laughable.)
Old 26 September 2017, 07:44 PM

[QUOTE=Sue;1959935Unlike Nascar owners who said they'd fire anyone who knelt during the national anthem.[/QUOTE]To be fair though, NASCAR is a couple decades behind. They've just recently figured out they might want to stop standing up for the various traitor (Confederate) flags.
Old 26 September 2017, 07:45 PM

The following is a great article about Nascar, especially if, like me, you know next to nothing about it.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/09/nasc...nfederate-flag

I especially liked the concluding paragraphs:

Quote:
So NASCAR team owners have the authority to fire team members who kneel or protest during the national anthem. But it’s not the noble thing to do.

Because you know what’s far more offensive than taking a knee during the national anthem? The confederate flag.
Old 26 September 2017, 07:52 PM

That's why I made the remark about why it might be an empty gesture, other than for reasons of race. I am fairly familiar with NASCAR. It has been many decades since I watched, but I get the impression that nothing has changed.
Old 26 September 2017, 08:14 PM

There's a woman. And a Toyota team.
Old 26 September 2017, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
There's a woman. And a Toyota team.
The woman is getting fired and the Toyota's that are being mimicked are made in the US.
Old 26 September 2017, 08:24 PM

There was a woman when I watched. I think there's a rule about only having one at a time. Danica Patrick is breaking records set by the women who came before her. The Toyota team is new to me though.
Old 26 September 2017, 08:30 PM

Baseball

I liked this image. Because about an hour before I saw that, I saw this on the main board...

http://www.snopes.com/jerry-jones-speech-911/

Even the old guard is seeing the inevitable.
Old 26 September 2017, 09:10 PM

I don't follow NASCAR; but I'm living rather in the middle of it, and have picked up enough to know that Dale Earnhardt Jr is a very big deal.

And he had this to say:

Quote:
Tweeted Junior: "All Americans R granted rights 2 peaceful protests ... Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable-JFK."
So NASCAR's not a monolith on the subject.
Old 26 September 2017, 10:38 PM

Christopher Moore once wrote something to the effect of: "When you try to point something out to a cat, the cat looks at your finger instead of what you're pointing at. I just had an argument with a very cat-like person."

I find myself thinking of this quote a lot with the current situation. The arguments are mostly about whether the protests are appropriate or disrespectful, whether the NFL can or should fire the protesters, Trump calling them SOBs and the league closing ranks in response...

..while the actual issue of racial injustice largely gets ignored. Which may be exactly what Trump was trying to accomplish.
Old 26 September 2017, 10:52 PM

I don't think it's simpler than that: Dump was just upset that there was something on TV that wasn't about him. So he made it about himself.
Old 27 September 2017, 09:36 AM

United States Hansen Unplugged: Anthem protests not about disrespecting the flag

http://www.wfaa.com/sports/nfl/dale-...-nfl/478596561
Quote:
Donald Trump has said he supports a peaceful protest because it's an American's right… But not this protest, and there's the problem: The opinion that any protest you don't agree with is a protest that should be stopped.

Wow. Who is this man and why is he trying to make me cry? Right on sir right on.
Old 27 September 2017, 12:06 PM

He's a treasure and one of the reasons I'm grateful for the internet. He's done pieces on transgender rights and other issues, too.
Old 10 October 2017, 11:10 PM

Default Roger Goodell says NFL believes players should stand during national anthem

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said Tuesday that team owners will discuss a plan when they meet next week for dealing with the raging national controversy over players’ protests during the national anthem, adding that while the league respects the right of its players to express their opinions, it believes they should stand during the playing of the anthem.

While stopping short of saying the NFL would require its players to stand, Goodell strongly suggested in a letter to NFL teams that at next week’s meeting the league would propose to owners that players be required to do so, while also providing a platform to recognize their community activism.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.ce80ffd518a9

(How do people not get that forcing people to engage in a ritual makes it meaningless?)
Old 10 October 2017, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Q. Taft View Post

(How do people not get that forcing people to engage in a ritual makes it meaningless?)
(channel Maj Hochstetter voice) "You VILL stand!!"
Old 10 October 2017, 11:23 PM

...although apparently, according to some articles I've seen, the NBA requires players to stand. I'm not sure if that's a long-standing or relatively recent policy.
Old 11 October 2017, 12:23 AM

Roll eyes Mike Ditka on NFL Protests: There’s Been No Oppression in U.S. in Last 100 Years

NFL great Mike Ditka was blitzed by critics Tuesday after he declared in a radio interview that “there has been no oppression in the last 100 years that I know of.”

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/sports/...sion-u-n809566