snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 26 September 2017, 04:25 PM

Icon02 As humanitarian crisis unfolds, Trump tweets about [Puerto Rico's] "massive debt'

As humanitarian crisis unfolds in Puerto Rico, Trump tweets about island's "massive debt"

Officials are calling the devastation in Puerto Rico a humanitarian disaster. Six days after Hurricane Maria hit, millions are struggling for basic necessities like adequate food, water, fuel and electricity. Eighty percent of the island's transmission lines are down, and power may not be restored for more than a month.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/humanit...e-maria-trump/
Old 26 September 2017, 04:38 PM

Good think Trump isn't in charge of the fire department or else you'd have to have proof that your mortgage was up to date before he'd dispatch fire engines to put out your house.

ETA: Also, surprised he hasn't posted how "Nobody knew" how massive Puerto Rico's problems were. Also, in a win for extremely lowered expectations, we should be glad that his travel ban doesn't bar Puerto Ricans from entering the US.
Old 26 September 2017, 05:22 PM

Given the source, it is hard to not assume the worst, but I don't think that Tweet was as inflammatory as you are implying. It is pretty much true that a natural disaster of this magnitude is devastating anywhere, but an already almost financially bankrupt area would be pushed over the edge so to speak. I look at the sentence as an explanation of why PR will need more assistance to recover.
Old 26 September 2017, 05:32 PM

Could be, but in three Tweets, he compares them unfavorably to Texas and Florida, mentioned the debt twice, the poor infrastructure twice, and only at the very end mentioned (once) that food, water, and medicine were needed. And even then, he said it was doing well (it isn't).

ETA: Note that all of this comes 5 days after the destruction because he had to address Kneelgate first.
Old 26 September 2017, 05:41 PM

Yes, at best it is insensitively worded and tone-deaf.

And I was going to say that at least he is leaving the football players alone now
Old 26 September 2017, 08:20 PM

Well, both Texas and Florida voted for the Turnip. PR doesn't vote in federal elections.
Old 28 September 2017, 01:24 AM

Mouse

Well, let no one say Donald Trump needs to reconsider his priorities. He found it of much more importance to throw a hissy over millionaires kneeling during the National Anthem, then address the fact that some 3 million American citizens are without power and lacking in basic necessities following a hurricane.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Donald Trump would check your credit score, bank account, and wallet, before pulling you from a burning house. No wait, actually pulling you from a burning house would demand some work ethic, which he is strongly opposed to. He would just sit and tweet "Some idiot can't save himself from a fire. Keeps screaming. SAD!"
Old 28 September 2017, 02:28 AM

The last I saw is that Trump is now blaming the "Really big Ocean" for Puerto Rico's troubles...

uh.. okay? articulate he ain't.
Old 28 September 2017, 03:50 AM

Shouldn't that be his chance to brag about how America has the best ships, the fastest ships...?
Old 28 September 2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
The last I saw is that Trump is now blaming the "Really big Ocean" for Puerto Rico's troubles...
I personally blame Not Very Nice Weather.
Old 30 September 2017, 07:35 PM

United States Trump Lashes Out at Puerto Rico Mayor Who Criticized Storm Response

President Trump lashed out at the mayor of San Juan on Saturday for criticizing his administration’s efforts to help Puerto Rico after Hurricane Maria, accusing her of “poor leadership” and implying that the island, which lacks electricity and has limited cellphone service, water and fuel, was not doing enough to help itself.

In a series of early-morning messages on Twitter from his New Jersey golf club, where he is spending the weekend, Mr. Trump dismissed the statements by the capital’s mayor, Carmen Yulín Cruz, as political and asserted that his administration had organized a response by federal workers who are “doing a fantastic job.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/30/u...ico-mayor.html

Are there still people out there who think he isn't a racist jerk? And why is every story, even about the aftermath of a natural disaster somehow all about him?

Last edited by Sue; 30 September 2017 at 07:51 PM.
Old 30 September 2017, 09:30 PM

Because he's physically incapable of thinking about anything else.
Old 30 September 2017, 10:24 PM

Its even more tone deaf than anything. He spends American Tax Dollars for his weekend trip to his own private resort to golf (remember, he said he wouldn't have time to do that!!!) while American citizens are struggling after a major disaster. Calling this his Katrina is an massive understatement. He just doesn't care. He doesn't care about American citizens. And I do believe that to him, they are not the right kind of Americans. I truly think he compares them to Mexicans in his head.

I love that he claims that the response is doing a fantastic job. By whose standards? The answer is his own.
Old 30 September 2017, 11:20 PM

Has he said a word about the US Virgin Islands?

(And do I want to know what that word is, if so?)

ETA: according to the article cited above,

Quote:
He said on Saturday that he would also “hopefully be able to stop at the U.S. Virgin Islands,”
so I suppose that's ten words, none of them actively inflammatory. And he does appear to know that they exist; which is more than much of the news coverage I'm seeing seems to do ever since the hurricanes got further north.

Last edited by thorny locust; 30 September 2017 at 11:26 PM.
Old 30 September 2017, 11:47 PM

To be fair I wouldn't be surprised if he just found out that they are US territories.
Old 01 October 2017, 03:03 AM

If he doesn't own a golf course there, it doesn't matter.
Old 01 October 2017, 03:39 AM

I agree with Mayor Cruz that this is akin to a genocide. There are no excuses for this wanton neglect. None.

And he's playing golf because he thinks this woman said "mean" things to him.
Old 01 October 2017, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
Maybe he does, and that's why he wants to go there.
Old 01 October 2017, 08:41 PM

Default Trump Takes to Twitter as Puerto Rico's Crisis Mounts

From the attached article:

Quote:
Retired Lieutenant General Russel Honoré, who won applause for turning around the chaotic Katrina relief effort 12 years ago, put Trump’s attacks on the San Juan mayor in clear contrast during a CNN interview Saturday.

“The mayor's living on a cot, and I hope the president has a good day at golf,” Honoré said, alluding to Trump’s weekend at his luxurious Bedminster Club in New Jersey.
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...-mayor/541665/
Old 03 October 2017, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
He used to be associated with a Golf Club in PR, but it went bankrupt.