snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 22 September 2017, 12:53 PM
thorny locust's Avatar
thorny locust thorny locust is offline
 
Join Date: 27 April 2007
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 7,861
Default

I don't want to speak for Plurabelle; but it's possible she's quit posting because she doesn't want to hear any more advice about her marriage right now.

I hope it's not because she's unable to post due to illness/injury. Plurabelle, are you OK?
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 23 September 2017, 12:42 AM
Dr. Dave Dr. Dave is offline
 
Join Date: 28 June 2005
Location: Montgomery County, MD
Posts: 5,221
Icon105

Removed- incorrect info. Sorry

Last edited by Dr. Dave; 23 September 2017 at 12:50 AM. Reason: Thought I saw a post date I did not
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 24 September 2017, 12:09 AM
Plurabelle's Avatar
Plurabelle Plurabelle is offline
 
Join Date: 29 September 2003
Location: Brussels, Belgium (home base: Ann Arbor, MI)
Posts: 962
Icon105

Yup, okay, thank you TL for asking . Just need some time to process what very valuable feedback I've received.

And thank you every one of you for your advice and opinions.

I've been kept home for convalesce and am not due to Belgium now until October.

Ultimately I think I need to talk to the vet, privately, show her my wounds and have her recommend euthansia or very powerful sedatives (which I know she will do, she is a legit vet I chose and based on advice from esteemed vets like Keket, I have no reason to think her advice would differ). He does listen to her, chapter and verse. I have an appointment, alone, with her on Tuesday for a human consult.

I apologize if I'm a little foggy, I'm having some post-surgical issues (from the lady surgery-nothing major, just ouchy) and I'm drugged to the gills. I slept last night hugging an icepack and had a dream it was a bag of cheesy grits, I was SO disappointed when I woke up!)

Last edited by Plurabelle; 24 September 2017 at 12:29 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 24 September 2017, 06:25 AM
Die Capacitrix's Avatar
Die Capacitrix Die Capacitrix is offline
 
Join Date: 03 January 2005
Location: Kanton Luzern, Switzerland
Posts: 3,108
Default

I'm happy to see you posting, Plurabelle, and if I could get you cheesy grits (I would think a bowl would be better than a bag, but maybe I'm misunderstanding grits), I would.

Take care of yourself.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 24 September 2017, 06:50 AM
ganzfeld's Avatar
ganzfeld ganzfeld is offline
 
Join Date: 05 September 2005
Location: Kyoto, Japan
Posts: 23,023
Default

Thank you for the update Plurabelle!
I hope you get well soon.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 24 September 2017, 01:42 PM
thorny locust's Avatar
thorny locust thorny locust is offline
 
Join Date: 27 April 2007
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 7,861
Default

Thanks for posting, Plurabelle; and glad you're convalescing.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 25 September 2017, 02:55 PM
Seaboe Muffinchucker's Avatar
Seaboe Muffinchucker Seaboe Muffinchucker is offline
 
Join Date: 30 June 2005
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 17,437
Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plurabelle View Post
I slept last night hugging an icepack and had a dream it was a bag of cheesy grits,
Very cold cheesy grits, I guess.

Thanks for keeping us up to date. We're kind of nosy for imaginary friends; it's because we do care.

Seaboe
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 25 September 2017, 08:04 PM
mbravo's Avatar
mbravo mbravo is offline
 
Join Date: 29 December 2015
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 898
Default

Thank you for posting, Plurabelle. Glad to hear from you.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 26 September 2017, 04:26 AM
Dasla's Avatar
Dasla Dasla is offline
 
Join Date: 15 April 2010
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 3,349
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
Very cold cheesy grits, I guess.

Thanks for keeping us up to date. We're kind of nosy for imaginary friends; it's because we do care.

Seaboe
Yes I admit I was a bit worried and spent a bit of time thinking of what to say to an imaginary friend without worrying her or giving advice on her marriage*. So thankyou for posting.


*As a single woman, imaginary friend or not, I don't feel able to advice either way.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 26 September 2017, 06:15 PM
Keket's Avatar
Keket Keket is offline
 
Join Date: 11 January 2007
Location: Halifax, NS
Posts: 2,100
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plurabelle View Post
Yup, okay, thank you TL for asking . Just need some time to process what very valuable feedback I've received.

And thank you every one of you for your advice and opinions.

I've been kept home for convalesce and am not due to Belgium now until October.

Ultimately I think I need to talk to the vet, privately, show her my wounds and have her recommend euthansia or very powerful sedatives (which I know she will do, she is a legit vet I chose and based on advice from esteemed vets like Keket, I have no reason to think her advice would differ). He does listen to her, chapter and verse. I have an appointment, alone, with her on Tuesday for a human consult.

I apologize if I'm a little foggy, I'm having some post-surgical issues (from the lady surgery-nothing major, just ouchy) and I'm drugged to the gills. I slept last night hugging an icepack and had a dream it was a bag of cheesy grits, I was SO disappointed when I woke up!)
Hope your vet is able to get through to him and hope you're feeling better soon (and less drugged).

[hijack]I don't think I've been doing this long enough to be 'esteemed'...[/hijack]
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 26 September 2017, 08:05 PM
Plurabelle's Avatar
Plurabelle Plurabelle is offline
 
Join Date: 29 September 2003
Location: Brussels, Belgium (home base: Ann Arbor, MI)
Posts: 962
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keket View Post
Hope your vet is able to get through to him and hope you're feeling better soon (and less drugged).

[hijack]I don't think I've been doing this long enough to be 'esteemed'...[/hijack]
Well, I hold your opinion in esteem. You're way more mature and compassionate than our old vet, just based on your PMs and posts. I think you just love animals and the humans that come with them and it shows.

Current vet gave me some sedatives for her which are not as sensitive (painkillers are SO controlled around here, even the dose for a 40 lb dog, she really wouldn't give us enough to help but did suggest other vets are a little less constrained - I think because she treats livestock and has stuff like carfentanil on hand- but doctor shopping for my dog's dope is not something I really wanted to do).

She did say if the sedatives don't help her relax (the dog is clearly tensed nearly all the time, you can see it in her muscles) she would say the only compassionate option was euthanasia. And that she would be happy to explain that to my husband so I don't have to be the messenger.

I get the vibe our vet has been doing her share of unofficial marriage counseling for a while, which I guess is unsurprising - pets are as dear as children to many but unfortunately they live at most 15-20 years so death is a topic that has to come up.

I'm still drugged, and still no grits. It's hard to find them this far north of the Mason-Dixon line, and my Canadian-Dutch husband refers to grits as "wet sand." Clearly he's never been to a Waffle House He also hates cheese so I guess that not getting grits is not his lessest sin.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 27 September 2017, 03:51 AM
Esprise Me's Avatar
Esprise Me Esprise Me is offline
 
Join Date: 02 October 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 6,476
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plurabelle View Post
He also hates cheese
Welp, I can't be measured anymore. Divorce him. Yesterday.

Glad you're doing OK!
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 27 September 2017, 10:28 PM
Keket's Avatar
Keket Keket is offline
 
Join Date: 11 January 2007
Location: Halifax, NS
Posts: 2,100
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plurabelle View Post
Well, I hold your opinion in esteem. You're way more mature and compassionate than our old vet, just based on your PMs and posts. I think you just love animals and the humans that come with them and it shows.
Aw shucks, thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 02 October 2017, 02:54 PM
DawnStorm's Avatar
DawnStorm DawnStorm is offline
 
Join Date: 11 March 2003
Location: Montgomery County, MD
Posts: 15,367
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprise Me View Post
Welp, I can't be measured anymore. Divorce him. Yesterday.

Glad you're doing OK!
Yup, definitely grounds for divorce!
Seriously though, it's good to hear from you.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 02 October 2017, 05:36 PM
khisanth's Avatar
khisanth khisanth is offline
 
Join Date: 23 September 2010
Location: Trabuco Canyon, CA
Posts: 185
Default

I disagree with this assessment. My husband likes shrimp. I dislike shrimp and its shrimpiness. My marriage manages because any time that I end up with shrimp at a dinner, it is relocated to my husband's plate.

So any cheese and cheesy grits should all go to Plurabelle.

I have had cheesy grits and it is a great shame to this world that shrimp is more available than cheesy grits.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 10 October 2017, 04:50 AM
Plurabelle's Avatar
Plurabelle Plurabelle is offline
 
Join Date: 29 September 2003
Location: Brussels, Belgium (home base: Ann Arbor, MI)
Posts: 962
Default

Quick update - the dogs are all doing okay on sedatives (all 3 senior dogs had been acting up, though only one bit me). They are even snuggling with the cat which never happens (she's a shy, timid, small cat and was declawed before she came to us so generally she and the dogs don't hang).

My arm is okay, I have tiny dog bite scars which are fine with me, because I know she didn't mean it. Otherwise, back to normal shape, size. color. She is the dog most attached to me personally (of our 4 dogs, 2 are mama's girls and two are daddy's girls). The infection spread and I did end up spending almost 2 weeks in the hospital, so 1 just got home.

The infection spread was mostly the fault of hospital staff failing to sterilize properly. TMI but let's just say I haven't gone to the bathroom normally in a WHILE.

Sedating the dogs has worked well. And I left my individual therapist, who wasn't well suited to me. We are seeing a couples therapist starting tomorrow.

I'm still on a liquid diet if juice, clear broth and skim milk. I'd better lose some damn weight.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 10 October 2017, 01:50 PM
Seaboe Muffinchucker's Avatar
Seaboe Muffinchucker Seaboe Muffinchucker is offline
 
Join Date: 30 June 2005
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 17,437
Glasses

Thanks for keeping us up to date.

Seaboe
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 10 October 2017, 03:44 PM
Little Pink Pill's Avatar
Little Pink Pill Little Pink Pill is offline
 
Join Date: 03 September 2005
Location: California
Posts: 6,815
Default

Really, really glad you’re better now, Plurabelle, and glad you’re getting counseling together.

Just, well, please keep in mind for next time (which I hope never happens) that infections spread when treatment is delayed. Don’t ever let anyone stop you from getting prompt medical care, k?
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 10 October 2017, 05:32 PM
khisanth's Avatar
khisanth khisanth is offline
 
Join Date: 23 September 2010
Location: Trabuco Canyon, CA
Posts: 185
Default

Two weeks in the hospital??!!1

I am glad you're okay.

Infected dog bites are not an acceptable weight loss strategy. :P

Hope you're back to eating cheesy grits soon!
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 10 October 2017, 07:34 PM
Plurabelle's Avatar
Plurabelle Plurabelle is offline
 
Join Date: 29 September 2003
Location: Brussels, Belgium (home base: Ann Arbor, MI)
Posts: 962
Default

Well my plan wasn't to try to lose weight this way but if I lose a few pounds, I'm not going to complain.

Thank you to all my "imaginary" friends and your advice, well wishes, mild scolding and in general your love. I really do appreciate.

Interestingly, while I was in the hospital the dog that bit me started losing her teeth (which is a possible side effect of all the meds she's on -sedatives, cancer meds, etc.). We had to start feeding her canned food because she can't chew up kibble anymore.

Aggression is something I really won't tolerate any more after all this crap, but her biting days are over. Of course I don't want her gumming me or anybody else but it's kind of a relief. Or karma. I mean I love my dog and I'm sad she is suffering bad side effects, but at the same time I think it's a little fitting. I'm a horrible dog mom, I know.

Because I'm picture obsessed:
Fresh Bites:
How it looks now:


Fortunately for all I did not take any pics of the infection while it was raging, but just think yellow/green/purple.

ETA: Pics aren't posting, maybe that's for the best.

ETA2: Session w couples therapist went well this morning. She is brutally honest, which is uncomfortable but something we both really need. We both cried and fought back a little, but she knows what she is talking about. She insists we have a plan and a goal each week before the next session which I think is a really good approach. I was kind of miserable during the session but appreciate it a lot afterwards.

Last edited by Plurabelle; 10 October 2017 at 07:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Boy injured by air pump in serious condition snopes Horrors 4 09 July 2014 08:05 PM
I injured my finger Avril The Doctor Is In 19 26 August 2013 12:01 AM
5 injured after firearms go off at gun shows Il-Mari Crash and Burn 23 21 January 2013 09:08 PM
Soldier with injured child Jenn Fauxtography 27 02 December 2009 02:10 AM
Moe: most-injured Stooge? snopes Entertainment 6 05 March 2008 08:13 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.