snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 16 September 2017, 04:26 AM

Default My Dog bit me and injured me seriously

My husband will not take me to the hospital. My arm is 3x the size it should be but he keeps saying "it looks fine to me!" It's awful. So swollen.
Old 16 September 2017, 05:10 AM

Is there a GP you can get to? Or is there someone else that can take you to the hospital...even a taxi? Would you need an interpreter?
Old 16 September 2017, 07:07 AM

1) Call taxi, go to hospital.

2) Call lawyer, discuss divorce.
Old 16 September 2017, 10:21 AM

Get to the hospital. Call an ambulance if it's the only way you can get there. (Though telling your husband he's about to have to pay for that may get you a ride; but, if it takes that to do so, seriously consider GM's suggestion.) -- oh, you're not in the USA, are you? so I don't know how it works. But there's got to be some way to get people to hospital who haven't got a ride from a household member.

If your entire arm, or a significant portion of it, is that swollen from a bite, your life is in danger if you don't get it treated.
Old 16 September 2017, 02:46 PM

What they said. Also, please update us if/when you can.

ETA: I know that we only have a sliver of information about your marriage, but it does strike me that this is the second setting in which you've mentioned your husband brushing off your legitimate and potentially very serious health concerns. I'm hoping that we're just getting a bad impression of a good guy, and such behavior is not typical of him. Because it's not okay, and you deserve better.
Old 16 September 2017, 03:21 PM

Did it break the skin? Was this one of your older dogs that has been aggressive? I remember you were in counseling with your husband for this.

AFTER you get to a doctor (as everyone else said), you need to take pictures and bring this to your counselor. I know relationships are more complex than what you can describe on a message board, but Lainie is right that this behavior is not ok.
Old 16 September 2017, 03:54 PM

IIRC you are recently post-op as well. To echo everyone's suggestions hasten to a hospital and to hell with whatever your husband thinks. Is he a doctor? No he is not. He doesn't get to decide if you need medical attention. Take those pictures and even if you can live with the reality that your husband minimizes your very legitimate worry about the dog harming you this should be a big wake up call to both of you that you could be facing a lawsuit if that dog attacked a neighbor or passer by.
Old 16 September 2017, 09:50 PM

Joining the refrain in case one more makes a difference:
1) Please go to a hospital now.
2) From your previous discussion of your concern specifically about the dogs danger to you - and his lack thereof - I think there are some very serious issues that need to be reconciled. While I know plenty of people who would refuse to go, I don't know anyone who would discourage an SO from going to the hospital for a dog bite. It was concerning when you mentioned this difference several weeks ago because it seems the safety of ones SO would be a fundamental. Now I think is the time to take it seriously. Immediately after you get a doctor to look at that arm.
Old 16 September 2017, 11:18 PM

I don't know much about dogs or their bites, but I can't imagine refusing to take my husband to the hospital when he was hurt and scared, even if I doubted the seriousness of his injuries. Did he give you a reason?
Old 17 September 2017, 12:51 AM

I'd missed the incident Ganz mentioned. So this is the third.
Old 17 September 2017, 01:05 AM

Animal bites are nothing to mess with. Hospital. Now. This is non-optional. And I'm seriously concerned about your husband's lack of concern.
Old 17 September 2017, 07:45 AM

It broke the skin. Nothing to mess with.
Old 17 September 2017, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprise Me View Post
Did he give you a reason?
He might be concerned about the safety of the dog. But Plurabelle's safety needs to take precedence here.

Plurabelle, I'm glad you posted, but if you can, please tell us whether you've managed to get to a doctor -- and if not, again, please do so!
Old 17 September 2017, 05:12 PM

Yes it is all about the dog's safety. If I go to the hospital, I'll have to report a dog bite. The county will put down a dog that is a reported biter. The poor dog is miserable knowing she did wrong. I still haven't gone to a doctor - my stepdad said "holy shit, your arm is so swollen!".

My husband is going out and I think I'll go to the hospital once he leaves.
Old 17 September 2017, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plurabelle View Post
My husband is going out and I think I'll go to the hospital once he leaves.
Please think about this: If you don't need him to drive you, why are you waiting? Do you think he'd try to prevent you from leaving? Are you afraid of how he'd react?

No need to give me answers, unless you want to/think it would help. But please consider those questions, and the implications of your answers.

Take care of yourself, please.

ETA: Did your stepdad not offer to take you, or ask you if you wanted to go?
Old 17 September 2017, 06:01 PM

So essentially your husband cares more about his dog than he cares about you. You can dress that up anyway you want but that's what it comes down to. And if you are going to go to the hospital anyway what is stopping you from going now? If you are going to report that dog your husband will find out. If you're going to lie and say it was a strange dog you could have done that already. I am not the type of poster who comes here and urges people to leave their SOs. But based on this incident and other things you've talked about in the past I may just become that kind of poster.
Old 17 September 2017, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Yes it is all about the dog's safety. If I go to the hospital, I'll have to report a dog bite. The county will put down a dog that is a reported biter.
Do you know that for a fact? Because several years ago I was severely mauled by two dogs and even though it was reported to animal control, literally nothing happened to the dogs. They weren't confiscated or put down or anything. The owners of the dogs did not receive any citation or fine. I am still stunned to this day. I suppose it depends on where you live, but I assumed that reported bite dogs would be put down, and it turned out I was wrong.

Dog bites can cause massive swelling and bruising, and there is a great risk for infection. At the very least, you need to get some antibiotics.

ETA: I missed this thread of yours from back in July:
Quote:
My husband has decided to fight.

I told him I'd leave him if he chose not to believe me, and into the fight he goes.

He does. not. want. to. put. any dogs. down. Despite proof they bit me (I was asking for it, by being a bitch).

The vet promised us meds tomorrow, but I dont think that is going to repair our marriage, unfortunatelty.
Your husband blamed you for the dogs attacking you? My boyfriend blamed me for getting myself mauled. And this has been an ongoing thing for months? I don't know you personally, and I normally would never suggest this to someone I don't know, but you need to contact a divorce attorney today. Your situation will not get better without medical and legal intervention. It will only get worse.

Last edited by Cervus; 17 September 2017 at 06:14 PM.
Old 17 September 2017, 06:15 PM

I'd be surprised if any jurisdiction required a dog to be destroyed without at least conducting some sort of investigation -- what were the circumstances, was it the first time the animal was reported to bite someone, etc. But maybe Plurabelle's husband has reason to believe the investigation wouldn't turn out well.

And FTR, I also still can't believe the people whose dogs attacked Cervus suffered no consequences.

ETA: I had also missed the older post Cervus quoted. I'm done with subtlety. The dog is dangerous and Plurabelle's husband is an abusive ass. I'm sorry, Plurabelle. I hope you can get yourself safe.
Old 17 September 2017, 06:19 PM

Please go to the hospital. If you're too afraid to go against your husband and put the dog in danger, then lie and say it was a strange dog. But go.
Old 17 September 2017, 06:41 PM

IIRC, the dog in question is very old and ill, and may be biting due to being in pain.

I am also concerned about the dog; but dogs that can't be medically treated so that they're no longer aggressive become a danger to anyone around -- including, while we're at it, the other dog (IIRC there are two, in similar condition.) And a dog in pain, if that's the cause, needs to be gotten out of pain. Simply trying to pretend the situation's not happening, if that's what's going on, is not a kindness.

And in any case -- potentially sacrificing Plurabelle's life in an attempt to save the dog is a terrible idea. I can understand not reporting the bite immediately, if the dog can be kept from biting anyone else, in the hope that treatment measures available at home would be sufficient. But if the arm's swelling up that badly, medical care is essential.