snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 25 July 2017, 06:57 PM

Default Little things that annoy you

Since yesterday I've been getting calls on my work phone from something called Jobcase. The first time I happened to be away from my desk so it went to voicemail. The second time, I recognized the number as the same one from the previous call, so I let that go to voicemail as well. The first message sounded like a robocall; the second was a live person. Both included reminders to "keep my profile up to date". I don't have a profile with them; I'd never even heard of them before they started calling. Both also included a number to call if I don't want to receive calls from them. I don't know if they're a scam or a legitimate service that's calling me in error, like maybe someone made a typo when entering their number and got mine, but it's annoying either way. I don't want to have to call them to get them to get them to stop calling me. I never asked them to call me in the first place.
Old 25 July 2017, 07:55 PM

Baseball

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/...gFp5&ocid=iehp

LTTAM: the attitude that veterans can sometimes take when they perceive that there is disrespect

In this case, the coin has the words "Battle of Dieppe" on it. The battle is commonly called "The Dieppe Raid". It's actual name is "Operation JUBILEE".

All three are acceptable. Raid is more popular. JUBILEE is official.

But these vets are claiming that the mint (who sought and received advice from veteran's groups on the wording) is disrespecting the memory of those who fought and died there.

For pete's sake, there is no one name for it.

Even Wikipedia has all three (and a fourth) name for it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dieppe_Raid

Man, that's annoying. I hope I don't turn petty like this when I retire.
Old 25 July 2017, 08:01 PM

Military

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
Man, that's annoying. I hope I don't turn petty like this when I retire.
Come to America. You won't even have to wait until you retire! We didn't come up with "America is not at war. The Marine Corps is at war; America is at the mall" as just some one off. There's all kinds of anti-civilian rhetoric being flung around in America. Like it's cool or something...

You ought to see the military message boards light up with indignation when Memorial Day roles around.
Old 25 July 2017, 08:06 PM

Someone's hoping to create a very limited edition coin and resell the one's they bought for a fortune...
Old 26 July 2017, 01:59 AM

LTTAM- The ends of my nails flake, and I can't resist the urge to bite and peel away the flakes with my teeth if I see them. This results in the flaky part moving back toward the bed of the nail, so it never gets to grow out, and there keeps being new flaky part I feel compelled to bite. If I have nail polish on, I don't see the "layers," and can avoid biting, but I like to give them time to breathe in between polish durations. This is mostly due to buffing too aggressively for a year or so (honestly not sure on the time frame), which I stopped a few months ago, but the consequences are still growing out.

This is indeed a very little thing... but I guess the bigger TTAM is that even though I gave up "traditional nail biting" when I was a kid, I still at 26 can't stop biting these flakes and my cuticles. It is one of several self-stim anxiety behaviors that I am having a hard time overcoming.
Old 26 July 2017, 01:59 PM

Glasses

For the cuticles, I recommend always carrying nail clippers. When you're tempted to bite your cuticles, use the clippers to clean them up. It worked for me.

Buffing is such a misleading name for "polishing off the top layer of your nail". I try to avoid it as much as I can.

LTTAM: I ordered some chocolate from Amazon, and it came packed with two white packs that were clearly originally frozen, but no information as to how best to dispose of them. Can I reuse them (probably not, as there are indications that at least 1 is leaking)? Should I put them in the yard waste bin? Trash? Recycle? Open them up and pour the contents down the drain (again, probably not)?

Seaboe
Old 26 July 2017, 06:39 PM

They're pretty much just gel packs. Either throw them away or save the one that didn't break for reuse.
Old 27 July 2017, 10:15 AM

A very minor thing: medical organisations that use the Caduceus symbol (two snakes wound around a staff, often with wings attached to the top of the staff) rather than the Rod of Asclepius (a single snake wound around a staff).

Asclepius was the Greek god of healing and medicine so the Rod of Asclepius is a fitting and proper symbol for medical oranisations.

The Caduceus was carried by Hermes (or Mercury in the Roman version) who was the messenger of the gods but was also the protector and patron of herdsmen, thieves, oratory and wit, literature and poetry, athletics and sports, inventions, trade, roads, boundaries and travelers. He was also a bit of a trickster god. I guess the Caduceus might be suitable for insurance companies, sports medicine, clown doctors, medical publishers or even 'alternative' medical practitioners but it's not really suitable for general medical practitioners.
Old 27 July 2017, 12:31 PM

There seem to be quite a few commercials on now for products that, essentially, take away "stink". The commercials are supposed to be funny I guess, with one being some supposed Hollywood Star "punishing the porcelain" and using a product that you spray into the toilet before use so the next person using the bathroom won't know you pooped . Aside from finding the commercials stupid and decidedly not funny I'm wondering what's happened lately that has caused so many products to be promoted to take away bathroom odours. Are we stinkier then we used to be or is it just that commercials that wouldn't have been considered ok a few years ago are now being aired? Whatever it is ugh.
Old 27 July 2017, 01:08 PM

Baseball

Sue, I'd put it down to the ever growing trend of "What can I do to make myself appear more like my Facebook page without putting any effort into it."

This goes for tooth whitening strips, tanning, fad diets, special programmes for children**, turnkey McMansions, expensive SUVs that don't go off road and trendy vacations.

Pooping makes one seem vulgar. Can't have that.

**I know of two families in our community where they enrolled their kids in special programmes just to try to get their kids to appear at the top of their class as opposed to kids who need special programmes to tailor the learning environment to allow them to progress with their peers.
Old 27 July 2017, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
I'm wondering what's happened lately that has caused so many products to be promoted to take away bathroom odours.
Somebody had a bright* idea for another product nobody used to need but that they think they can sell if enough people can be convinced that they smell bad.

Most such things (not only those specific things, but supposed anti-stink products in general) smell worse to me than the odors they're supposed to control. And mixing their stink with the original odor, which is what usually actually happens, is worse yet.

*only a bright idea from the financial point of view of those selling the stuff. A terrible idea otherwise.
Old 27 July 2017, 01:56 PM

There is a noise that sounds like a fast drip of water on tile coming from the ceiling at work. It has been there since yesterday, and it's driving me insane.
Old 27 July 2017, 01:57 PM

I have met a few people who seem to think it's a hideous breach of etiquette to have a bowel movement anywhere but your own house.* Maybe the product creator knew more than a few people like that.

*Lucky people with low-maintenance digestive systems, who should be counting their blessings instead of judging other people's use of a toilet for one of its primary purposes.
Old 27 July 2017, 02:44 PM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Credence View Post
There is a noise that sounds like a fast drip of water on tile coming from the ceiling at work. It has been there since yesterday, and it's driving me insane.
Air conditioner have a condenser reservoir that is overflowing? Ducts allowing condensation?

Those are the first things that pop into my mind.
Old 27 July 2017, 02:52 PM

Glasses

LTTAM: People who use the auto-door opening button by default. I know it's a completely irrational irritation, but it drives me bonkers. The thought that goes through my head (completely non-PC) is "how lazy are you that you can't even open a door." Then I remind myself of invisible disabilities--but it still drives me crazy.

Seaboe
Old 27 July 2017, 02:54 PM

That drives me crazy because it always takes longer to wait for the door to open when you do that then it would take to just open the door. Totally get it if mobility is an issue, not so much otherwise.
Old 27 July 2017, 03:04 PM

Tantrum

LTTAM: Geico ads! Please, someone make them stop!! So many of them!
Old 27 July 2017, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
LTTAM: People who use the auto-door opening button by default.
My first read of that was about doors on motor vehicles and using the remote fob.
Old 27 July 2017, 03:45 PM

Sorry Seeboe, my kids always push those buttons at the library so they can act like magicians, opening the door by the power of their mind! Well, they don't if there are other people around, since I won't let them.
Old 27 July 2017, 03:46 PM

I don't mind when kids do it, or people who are carrying armloads of stuff and can hit that button more easily than they can open a door.