snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 02 May 2017, 02:23 AM

Mouse Autism "Cures"

I am a True Crime addict, so I spend a lot of time watching Investigation Discovery. Last night, I watched an episode of a show called "Scene of the Crime with Tony Harris" which covered the death of James Jeffrey Bradstreet. His death was classified as a suicide, but his relatives are all convinced that he was bumped off by Big Pharma.

Bradstreet was one of those quacks peddling Autism cures. From what I've heard, the guy (he was once a doctor, but like hell will I call him one)peddled just about every Autism BS, before settling on giving shots of GcMAF, based on a study from a journal called Autism Insights, which pretty much is a vanity journal that exists to promote phony Autism cures and fellate Andrew Wakefield of whom Bradstreet was a big follower.

It was GcMAF that ultimately got the feds to go after Bradstreet. After hearing some tips, authorities raided the facility where Dr. Bradstreet was getting his stuff. Here's what they found:

Quote:
The blood plasma starting material being used to make this drug stated “Not to be administered to humans or used in any drug products”. It was concluded that the production site does not meet Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP) standards and there are concerns over the sterility of the medicine being produced and the equipment being used. There are concerns that the product may be contaminated.
Four months after this, the feds showed up to this charmer's clinic with a warrant. After being served, Bradstreet took off and was found in a creek with a bullet wound to the chest.

I will express sympathy for his family in that no one wants to believe that someone they loved, killed themselves. From what I've read, it's a standard complaint among law enforcement that even if there is pretty clear evidence pointing to suicide, relatives will refuse to accept it and opt to focus on one weird oddity to the extent of everything else. Heck, so many believe that it was simply unheard of that Kurt Cobain might want to kill himself, despite a documented history of mental illness, a major drug problem, and a record of previous attempts.

I will also try my damndest to be charitable in that maybe, just maybe ID Go doesn't endorse the various Autism woo promoted by quacks like Bradstreet. But the thing is, even if you don't explicitly say that he was murdered by Big Pharma because he knew too much, by giving so much screen time to other quacks basically saying that, while only allowing a few minutes for the law enforcement officers involved with the case to speak (who are pretty much like "Dude killed himself."), you sure as heck are still supporting a message.

In giving the quacks so much time to blather their BS beliefs, but not bothering to have someone point out and mention the research proving that pretty much all Bradstreet's therapies were bullshit, it's not hard to see the message you were promoting. Heck, you guys even mentioned Andrew Wakefield's study and didn't provide one line about how his study has been disproven again and again.

But maybe as someone on the spectrum, my viewpoint can't be trusted. I just had the crazy idea that injecting kids with an untested, unproven drug prepared under the most dubious of circumstances AND preying on their parents' desperation to get them to pay out the nose for it, is wrong.

Short message for any parents on this board: If anyone offers to cure your child of Autism, run in the other direction.

Though as I keep saying, I suffer more from a society that refuses to make accommodations than I do from the actual Autism. I'll mention a quote by Steve Silberman, which I will probably reference until I die, because it is so damn apt.

Quote:
By focusing exclusively on long-range research into alleged “risk factors” for autism, while ignoring the need to dramatically improve the quality of life for autistic people and their families today, we fool ourselves into thinking that autism is a “puzzle” that will be solved by the next medical breakthrough. Instead, what autism really is, is an enormous population of men and women with tremendous potential who are being denied what everyone deserves: the chance to live a happy, healthy, safe, secure and productive life. Viewed in this light, autistic people are one of the largest disenfranchised minorities in the world.

Imagine if society had put off the issue of civil rights until the genetics of race were sorted out, or denied wheelchair users access to schools and public buildings while insisting, “Someday, with the help of science, everyone will walk.” Viewed as a form of disability that is relatively common rather than as a baffling medical enigma, autism is not so “puzzling” after all. Designing appropriate forms of support and accommodations is not beyond our capabilities as a society, as the history of the disability rights movement proves.
Silberman wrote a book about Autism and the history of the diagnosis called NeuroTribes which I highly recommend that everyone read.

Because I keep trying to be charitable and shout "Shut the NFBSK up!" less often because it would lose its impact, I'll say that maybe there are some people with Autism who would genuinely benefit from a cure. But it will probably be generations before we find anything approaching a cure, and in the meantime, we have a population of Autistic people who need to be taken care of in the here and now. So how about we fund the very real, scientifically proven therapies that are helping them, rather than spending all our time and funds chasing after cures.

And I'm done for now. Sorry for the length of this rant, but I had stuff I wanted to say. It is kind of weird how despite all the legitimate abuses committed by the pharmaceutical industry, the people who use the phrase "Big Pharma" are of the "Giving Everyone Autism via Flu Shots!" type, rather than, y'know all the price-gouging and whatnot.
Old 02 May 2017, 03:10 PM

Glasses

They also tend to gloss over how expensive it is to develop new drugs, and refuse to acknowledge that without Big Pharma we wouldn't have most of today's effective cancer treatments.

You know, I love true crime, too, but I much prefer watching the shows on streaming services, so that I can skip past the weirdos.

Seaboe
Old 02 May 2017, 03:11 PM

Ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
Autism Insights, which pretty much is a vanity journal that exists to promote phony Autism cures and fellate Andrew Wakefield of whom Bradstreet was a big follower.

In my uninformed POV, autism is not a disease to be cured, it is a condition/disability(?). I'm curious: if I was an employer and decided to hire an autistic person, what kind(s) of accommodations would I have to make?

Showing rampant ignorance here.
Old 02 May 2017, 03:29 PM

IANAAE, but AIUI autism varies so much that it would be entirely depended on the person. It would be similar to asking "What kind of accommodations would I have to make for a physically disabled person?" without specifying the nature of the physical disability.
Old 02 May 2017, 03:34 PM

Glasses

ADA accommodations are tailored to the person. There are some rules, though. One is that the employee has to actually ask for accommodation. Another is that not showing up for work, or taking open ended leave, are not reasonable accommodations. That word, reasonable, is taken seriously. Employers don't have to create jobs that don't already exist, don't have to grant transfers if there aren't job openings, and don't have to accommodate if that involves removing one of the core functions from the job.

Of course, there's a lot of litigation about it, some of it amazing.

Seaboe
Old 02 May 2017, 04:36 PM

D'oh!

Seaboe--I see. So if DH were to get a part time job, his boss would have to provide him a back-friendly chair and if there is no elevator, DH could not work on the 2nd floor.* Gads I'm dumb sometimes!

Regarding Big Pharma: yes they are ripe for satire, but if it was not for them, my life would be miserable. Assuming I didn't die from lack of thyroid hormone first. Not that I'd know all that, because I probably would have been lobotomized due to my personal demons. So yeah, hooray for Big Pharma! But you're not infallible.

*Not that DH has any chance of getting any job because eewww! He's old! Double eeewww! He's disabled. Whole 'nother rant though.
Old 02 May 2017, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
Seaboe--I see. So if DH were to get a part time job, his boss would have to provide him a back-friendly chair and if there is no elevator, DH could not work on the 2nd floor.* Gads I'm dumb sometimes!

Regarding Big Pharma: yes they are ripe for satire, but if it was not for them, my life would be miserable. Assuming I didn't die from lack of thyroid hormone first. Not that I'd know all that, because I probably would have been lobotomized due to my personal demons. So yeah, hooray for Big Pharma! But you're not infallible.

*Not that DH has any chance of getting any job because eewww! He's old! Double eeewww! He's disabled. Whole 'nother rant though.
I believe it would be illegal to refuse to hire him for either of those reasons. I also believe it would be very difficult to prove he wasn't hired for those reasons, unfortunately.
Old 02 May 2017, 08:04 PM

Glasses

In the US it is indeed illegal to refuse to hire him for either reason, and incredibly difficult to prove he wasn't hired because of them.

It's hard enough to prove those violations when you're an actual employee.

Seaboe
Old 02 May 2017, 11:14 PM

Yeah, that sort of discrimination really only gets successfully prosecuted in the event that the employer is a complete moron and runs his mouth in front of a recording devices.
Old 03 May 2017, 02:14 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
IANAAE, but AIUI autism varies so much that it would be entirely depended on the person. It would be similar to asking "What kind of accommodations would I have to make for a physically disabled person?" without specifying the nature of the physical disability.
That's about the size of it. It really is on a person-by-person basis.

With me, I tell people that if I know the rules regarding a place, I can cope better. If I know exactly where I'm supposed to be, what I am supposed to do, and how the Boss wants it done, I have an easier time working. I may not like or understand your rules, but most of the time, I will follow them, because it's rarely worth fighting about it. It's one of the reasons I stayed for so long at the job I worked during college.

The Boss was notoriously unpleasant and that's true, but the thing is, she was that way towards everyone, regardless of age, race, gender, or orientation; it had nothing to do with you as a person. Plus, for all her faults, she was very clear on how she wanted stuff done, left lists everywhere dictating about how she wanted this cleaned and set up. When I was working in the evening and I was just exhausted from dealing with people, I'd often go in back and wash dishes.

The other employees didn't object, because I was the fastest dishwasher there, and it was actually good meditative exercise. My only objection is that the soap there turned your hands into sandpaper. There was no point in using gloves because the water would just get inside. If I know the rules of a place, I generally do very well, be the kind of employee who keeps her nose to the grindstone and gets everything done.

I tend to have issues with filtering out sounds. If I'm in a room full of people and everyone is talking, I have a hard time focusing on the people I'm supposed to be listening to. Heck, I may wonder if you're talking to me or to the person next to me or what.

Don't really know what to do about that--don't know if anyone's invented something like blinders for ears--but just be patient and don't get mad if I ask you to repeat something. I get distracted easily.

Quote:
Over the years, I've compiled a list of words which for every usage, I mentally deduct points from a person's assumed IQ. For the record, I generally start everyone off at 100 because that's in the average range and it's a good, round number. If I cross paths with Stephen Hawking or something, I'll let him start off with more because he has some actual credentials to his name and is, by all accounts, a genius. If you generally impress me, I'll give points rather than take them away.

Anyway, the words I tend to deduct points for are: SJW, politically correct/incorrect, sheeple, Big Pharma, False Flag, Feminazi. I'm not saying there aren't legitimate reasons to use those words, but the people who use them, tend to be the kind of people who either a)Got Donald Trump Elected or B)Make up Alex Jones's Audience.

Because like I've said before, there are legitimate abuses you could point to that the pharmaceutical industry has done, but the people who use the phrase, Big Pharma, are usually of the "They're giving us Autism via vaccines and controlling our minds via fluoride!!!1 type, rather than talk about issues like price-gouging and the skeevy stuff related to the opiod crisis. If I read the post and the words are spelled and utilized properly, I won't deduct points, but again, it so rarely happens.

And thanks to pharmaceuticals, I'm able to function and enjoy my life, rather than like in a pool of my own emotional vomit praying for death. So yeah, all those idiots who are like, "If we medicate people, where are all the artists going to come from," let me give you a freeway salute. Worst is when they use Vincent Van Gogh in their arguments. My response is usually: "Maybe Van Gogh would have painted many more stuff as beautiful or even more beautiful than Starry Starry Night, if he hadn't, y'know shot himself."

Even in the unlikely event that medication left him completely unable to be an artist (which it's not how it's supposed to work), it's still pretty Nfbsking sick to ask someone to suffer through truly appalling pain just so you can have something pretty to hang on your wall.
Old 03 May 2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
So yeah, all those idiots who are like, "If we medicate people, where are all the artists going to come from," let me give you a freeway salute. Worst is when they use Vincent Van Gogh in their arguments. My response is usually: "Maybe Van Gogh would have painted many more stuff as beautiful or even more beautiful than Starry Starry Night, if he hadn't, y'know shot himself."

To quote Tom Petty: you don't know how it feels to be me.
Old 03 May 2017, 03:08 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
Yeah, that sort of discrimination really only gets successfully prosecuted in the event that the employer is a complete moron and runs his mouth in front of a recording devices.
You'd be surprised how often that happens.

There's a blawger (legal blogger) who collects terms used by real employers to real employees concerning their age (and race, and sex, etc.). The witnesses often dig them selves even deeper in court trying to explain why (for example) "old bat" wasn't meant in a derogatory, judgmental way, and doesn't mean they treat the "old bat" any differently than they do younger employees.

Seaboe
Old 03 May 2017, 04:40 PM

Icon103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
The witnesses often dig them selves even deeper in court trying to explain why (for example) "old bat" wasn't meant in a derogatory, judgmental way, and doesn't mean they treat the "old bat" any differently than they do younger employees.

Seaboe

Oh do tell (employer)!
Several years ago the host of a show I used to listen to gave this piece of advice: Always assume that there is a live mike somewhere!
Old 06 May 2017, 01:29 PM

Is there a small pharma?
Old 06 May 2017, 02:19 PM

Whalephant

Quote:

In my uninformed POV, autism is not a disease to be cured, it is a condition/disability.
We had some sort of religious retreat here and some family came with their 18-20 ish autistic son. We wondered why they had brought him as he spent no time at the retreat proper and thus was getting nothing from the retreat but roamed the hotel incessantly until he fell asleep in the lobby at 4 AM and security woke him up and he returned to the hotel room.

Apparently the family brought him with them because "the preacher leading the retreat had cured him of his violent outbursts after the last retreat the family went to and they were hoping this time the preacher would do more curing". (The family explained this to other retreaters while they were sitting in the lobby exchanging chitchat, which is how I know.)
Old 06 May 2017, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damian View Post
Is there a small pharma?
Small locally-owned drugstores, maybe?

ETA: yes, I realize that may not have been a serious question.
Old 06 May 2017, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damian View Post
Is there a small pharma?
In the US "small" is any business with less than 500 employees. So there certainly are a few "small pharma".