snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 01 April 2017, 12:51 AM

Mouse Stupid questions

Thought someone else would have started a new thread, but I guess it's up to me. You can take me in whatever manner you deem fitting.

I would still like to have my question answered as to whether "Tili Tili Bom" is an actual Russian lullaby or a horror movie theme or creepypasta, but I'm not in a huge rush.

I've started working on guitar again and I've acquired a blister on one of my fingers. I was told that it was okay to take a pin and drain the blister, but I've also heard that's a bad idea. Though I've also heard that if the blister is in a position where it's likely to keep getting irritated, it's okay to drain it. Someone want to help me out?

Though I suppose I can post this in LTTAM: since I'm a violinist, I thought the calluses I already had on my fingers, would make learning guitar a little easier and I wouldn't have to deal with blisters.
Old 01 April 2017, 01:40 AM

Sorry, I forgot to do it the first time, but I've contacted my Russian people and asked about the song. I will let you know when I hear back.

For blisters, IMO, if its going to pop anyway, I'd drain it. If not, let it be. Your body will reabsorb the liquid and you will end up with a nice tough spot of skin right where its needed.
Old 01 April 2017, 04:29 AM

Main thing that I have heard about blisters is that if you don't pop it, then you haven't broken the skin and there is less chance of infection getting in.
Old 02 April 2017, 08:01 PM

Mouse,

Tili Tili Bom is an actual Russian nursery rhyme. I've asked for more details from my Russian people. What more do you want to know?
Old 02 April 2017, 10:47 PM

Stupid question department, of course.

What is the deal with starting a new thread after about a 1000 posts or so?

Is there a web forum technical basis for this practice? Does it make the site run better?

Just curious, and if this has been answered long ago and far away, I guess I am too lazy to search.
Old 03 April 2017, 01:02 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
Mouse,

Tili Tili Bom is an actual Russian nursery rhyme. I've asked for more details from my Russian people. What more do you want to know?
Can't think of anything really. I'll just stare wide-eyed about it for a little while longer.
Old 03 April 2017, 01:10 AM

Why is that one so strange? We have a lullaby or nursery rhyme about a little baby falling out of a tree, cradle and all, and it's supposed to be endearing and cute...
Old 03 April 2017, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLegends101 View Post
Is there a web forum technical basis for this practice? Does it make the site run better?
I think it used to be that 1000 posts was about the point at which the indexing started to cause performance issues.

I don't know whether that's still the case, or whether it's just a convention, though. The board's own search has never been that great, what with the "common words" restriction and the minimum letters per search term; that's understandable with limited server resources and certain amounts of traffic, but the traffic for new posts hasn't been all that high for a while, I'd say, and I don't know whether the software has to index the entirety of each active thread every time. Seems like it shouldn't have to, but these things are far easier said than done.

(I know this from professional experience, from a position where I can see the complaints about indexing from clients, but I'm not in charge of doing it and can also see how complex it is to change, with very little understanding of the complexity from those who are demanding the change. (eta) I'm not talking about message boards here, just indexing for searches in general, so it's not relevant and you should ignore this parenthesis.)
Old 03 April 2017, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGeekyGirl View Post
Why is that one so strange? We have a lullaby or nursery rhyme about a little baby falling out of a tree, cradle and all, and it's supposed to be endearing and cute...
My mother made up another verse for that one, in which the mother catches the falling baby and the father fixes the cradle and the tree, so that she could sing it without scaring her children. I didn't realize until I was grown that the verse wasn't part of the usual song.

I do remember being puzzled about there being a cradle up in a tree in the first place -- until, many years later, I found out about cradleboards, which were apparently occasionally hung in trees, and thought Aha! that must have been the kind of cradle in the song!
Old 03 April 2017, 03:15 AM

Icon95

As someone who falls asleep while signing lullabies or telling bedtime stories almost as often as the wee target, I can appreciate the need to keep it interesting - even a bit macabre! (Two nights in a row this weekend... "Dad, wake up and tell me the rest!" Or, last night, "Sorry to wake you; I couldn't sleep. Can you read some more?")
Old 03 April 2017, 02:27 PM

Glasses

Nursery rhymes have a lot of sources, some of which are intended to teach new parents what not to do. I think Rock-a-bye-baby is probably one of them; i.e., be careful where you leave your children.

Folk tales (which are often the source of Fairy Tales, and are definitely not originally intended for children) are the same way. All those stories about changelings? They're saying "don't leave your baby unattended"

Seaboe
Old 03 April 2017, 02:40 PM

I remember taking a children's lit course in university back in the '80s that dealt in part with nursery rhymes and their origins and meanings. We were told very authoritatively that Rock a Bye Baby referred to the idea that the baby of the rhyme was the son of James II of England, or more correctly, the baby that was supposedly smuggled into the birthing room at the palace and passed off as the son of James II. A baby that was put in a precarious position and whose father was eventually deposed in favour of protestant rulers. It was only years later that I learned this was just one of many possible meanings behind the rhyme. Not the definitive "rest of the story".
Old 03 April 2017, 02:59 PM

Did they also teach that "ring around the rosie" was about the Black Death and "sing a song of sixpence" was about Captain Teach (or generic pirate) recruiting new pirates?
Old 03 April 2017, 03:06 PM

Yes to Ring around the Rosie but if they taught us that about Sing a Song of Sixpence I've forgotten it now!
Old 03 April 2017, 10:23 PM

Almost all of those "interesting origins" stories for fairy tales and nursery rhymes are extremely speculative at best. Fairy tales and folk takes, even the ones that are very scary, were mostly written for children, not adults, despite what gets taught. There isn't any real good evidence for any of the interesting origins or the idea that they were somehow secret messages for adults. Maybe, like our modern day Shrek or Finding Nemo, they wanted them to be appealing to adults or (even more likely looking at the ones that have been forgotten) the ones that have lasted are the ones that were interesting to adults.
Old 03 April 2017, 11:50 PM

Mouse

Or it could be the old "Scare your children into being good" parenting tactic, aka a tactic which has probably been used since we crawled out of the primordial ooze. Which works more: "Don't go in the water, because you might drown," or "Don't go in the water, because the black-haired squid-lady will eat your bones and use what is left to make her ink?"

Okay, I wanted to make a more meaningful contribution to this thread, but I blanked on my question for a bit. But I remember now, so here goes nothing: what kind of skills are needed to become a roustabout with a circus?

Last edited by Mouse; 03 April 2017 at 11:56 PM. Reason: Thought of More to Say
Old 04 April 2017, 12:52 AM

With my God-children, they'd be like, "cool, can you show us the black-haired squid-lady?"

Being a Roustabout traditionally requires no skill, just a willingness to work hard and live in rustic conditions. You could should up at the winter grounds in spring, or talk to someone when the circus is in town.

These days. they don't have so many general laborers and are usually looking for a specific skill/experience.

Ringling Brothers is closing down, but they used to have an employment page listing all the jobs they were hiring for. I'm so sorry they are closing because I think they are the last circus to travel by train in this country at least. I'd Roustabout for a circus if they traveled by train.
Old 04 April 2017, 01:35 AM

Japan has a lot of rather terrifying folk takes. Our kids have always loved them. I've heard people claim they help educate kids that the world can be a dangerous place. I don't think that's why they were written, though, at least not consciously for the most part. I think people have dark feelings and like dark tales and that may be because the world is a dangerous place. I don't think anyone really sat down and said, gee, how do I scare the children into being good? Instead I think the human psyche did that by making that the kind of story that is liked and remembered and retold.
Old 04 April 2017, 11:39 AM

I've been reading the complete collection of Grimm's Fairy Tales on-and-off for a few years now (it's hard to read more than a few at a time, so I'll read the odd one or two every once in a while, and then put them aside again). People generally seem to think that the Grimms collected these by talking to simple peasants, but apart from some that they found in other books or that were written down and sent to them, they actually got most of them from the middle- or upper- classes. This is from one of the introductions to the Vintage Classics edition:

Quote:
Contrary to popular belief, the Grimms did not collect their tales by visiting peasants in the countryside and writing down the tales that they heard. Their primary method was to invite storytellers to their home and then have them tell the tales aloud, which the Grimms either noted down on first hearing or after a couple of hearings. Most of the storytellers during this period were educated young women from the middle class or aristocracy.
(The introduction then lists a few groups of young women who are known to have provided stories, which were typically a mother and a set of daughters). These people
Quote:
... used to meed regularly [with the Grimms] to relate tales they had heard from their nursemaids, governesses, and servants.
The Grimms also sometimes spliced together different versions of the same story.

As I've said before, although some of the stories are coherent, a lot of them read pretty much like Axe Cop, as though they were being made up on the spot by "young ladies" who were at the rather younger end of the group that could be described by that term. They're made up of things that would have been standard folk tale tropes at that time, but very jumbled and often quite silly. They were children's tales - in fact another misconception is that the Grimms version is unsanitised; there are one or two cases where the Grimms themselves cleaned up a story in later versions (like removing references to Rapunzel becoming pregnant) because perhaps they felt attitudes were changing.

If you read the Opies' stuff about children's playground rhymes, they found similar versions of the same rhymes all over the place but with local differences. It's still very interesting how some of them would have spread - since they're often rhymes that wouldn't have been handed around by parents ("Jingle Bells, Batman Smells..." and that sort of thing, although I believe that one was a little late for them to have included - it was current during my childhood which was right at the end of their active period). But there really doesn't seem to be any indication that they can be "about" anything in particular, because there's no real way for that supposed coded knowledge to be there.

More standard nursery rhymes were probably created and passed around in a similar way before being written down (when they weren't made up by somebody known), so except in rare cases it seems unlikely that they would have these hidden meanings, unless those are added later. There might be scraps of meaning in some of them where a standard signifier has been absorbed, I suppose.

Last edited by Richard W; 04 April 2017 at 11:45 AM.
Old 04 April 2017, 02:02 PM

Glasses

Beach, one exception to your last paragraph are the nursery rhymes that originated as riddles. To us, today, they have hidden meanings (white horses on a red hill, e.g., being teeth).

Seaboe