Closed Thread

Old 16 March 2017, 05:45 PM

Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGeekyGirl View Post
*Dies from the little piggy cuteness*
Far too cute!
Old 16 March 2017, 06:27 PM

I've taken home 3 tiny, weak kittens that I have ti try and nurse through their cat flu. My old cat Tomic is NOT impressed.
Old 16 March 2017, 06:28 PM

Poor sick babies. It's okay, Tomic, you're still the favorite.
Old 17 March 2017, 02:47 PM

Kittens didn't make it

Also, our new vet, who was hired to replace one of the vets leaving, has decided to quit as well. When asked why, he either gives reasons that a. he knew about coming into the job or b. could have been resolved easily if he had spoken to us beforehand.
In the long run I do think we're better off without him, but he is leaving us very short in the busiest time of the year.

I do believe him feeling lonely/bored could play a part, and that's something I can sympathize with, as I moved to a foreign land by myself as well. But I live on a farm in the middle of nowhere, he lives above a pub and has had invitations to join pub quizzes, a football team, etc.
He told me a while ago he found it difficult to get away from home. So I told him what I did: I found something I was interested in (English history) and so I visited old villages etc.
When I asked him what he was interested in he said "Drinking and girls."
Which, in my opinion, is a rather sad answer from a 28 year old man.
Old 17 March 2017, 03:21 PM

Glasses

for the kittehs.

And on a totally different subject, I saw something this morning that I've never seen before, although I have seen each of the separate elements thousands of times.

To reach Lake Washington from Seattle, I-90 east goes through a tunnel. It's one of the longest soft-dirt tunnels in the world (which isn't saying much; you can see all the way through it). Actually, it's three tunnels side-by-side, one for the express lanes (the ramp to which is closed in the morning as they run west then), one for the two left lanes, and a third for the right lane. The right-hand tunnel is fed by the beginning of the freeway and an on-ramp from a major arterial.

On the left side, more or less aligned with the express-lanes tunnel is a bus stop. It's actually between the east and west bound lanes of the freeway and I have no clue how passengers actually reach the stop, but it's there, and it seems to be fairly popular. Usually, when buses merge onto the freeway from that stop they end up in the left-hand lane in the middle tunnel, screwing up traffic as they try to accelerate to freeway speeds in the short distance between the merge and the tunnel. Occasionally, the bus is able to change into the center lane, which screws things up a little less.

This morning, I saw a bus cross all the way over into the right-hand tunnel. We're not talking a generous amount of space, here. To do this, he basically drove at a forty-five degree angle across three lanes of traffic. I was gob-smacked. I don't know if that driver makes a habit of this (when traffic permits, of course), or if this was a one-off, but it was pretty impressive.

ETA: On Wednesday, they gave away oranges in the cafeteria. It was an "as supplies last" type of thing. So I picked up an orange on Wednesday. And on Thursday. And today. I guess the oranges weren't as popular as they expected them to be (which is too bad, because they're very good oranges).

Seaboe

Last edited by Seaboe Muffinchucker; 17 March 2017 at 03:26 PM. Reason: no reason for a new post
Old 17 March 2017, 03:47 PM

I have to do something like that on my way home some days.

The US route that leads to my neighborhood includes two express lanes that run through a sub-grade "trench" (kind of like a tunnel, but semi-open at the top). The trench starts just north of an freeway interchange, runs a mile or so, and ends a few hundred yards from the light I turn at to go home (the lanes continue at surface level).

When I'm coming from the park and ride every day, I drive up the local lane to the right of the express lanes. At the point where the trench ends, I have to move across the two lanes coming up from the trench and into a left turn lane to the left of them.

FTR, this is actually what someone from the express lane project at ODOT instructed me to do when I asked about it during the construction of that trench.

In a pinch, I could go the next light and turn around. But so far I haven't had to.
Old 17 March 2017, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Angua View Post
Kittens didn't make it
I'm sorry.

It's one of the hard things about being a vet, or for that matter a doctor for humans: sometimes, no matter how hard you try, somebody dies too early.
Old 18 March 2017, 12:29 AM

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebochan View Post
Man, Quebec has really been welcoming me with open arms... we got 40cm here in Montreal and everyone's got a crazy story of something crazy from last night. Including one co-worker who had to ditch a bus that got stuck in a snow bank!

Half the office isn't even in if they lived somewhere the transportation was out.

I came in because I live ten minutes away and I walk, but it's making things a little difficult given that I still need to buy cat litter and the nearest pet store requires transit or a car (ha ha ha I am not driving in this nope no way uh uh).

My two month job anniversary sailed by last week. I'm still in awe of how awful last year was, and how it feels so far away now.

I'm about 75km NE of Montreal on the north shore. We got around 10-12 cm...

Since we already had a ped day, there was no school.
Old 19 March 2017, 07:24 PM

A while ago I bought a mini trampoline and a broken old front loader washing machine on eBay for some videos I was planning on making (but still haven't shot). I went to quite a lot of effort to collect them since I don't have a car and I don't have many driving favours I can call in. We've got hard rubbish collection in my neighbourhood this week and guess which two items I've spotted on on people's kerbs?

I only got a brief chance to wander around the neighbourhood checking out what people had put out but I spotted one washing machine that was practically the same as the one I bought, and even if it was completely broken I've got a few spare motors I could attach that would work well enough for what I need. I spotted at least four mini trampolines, all less than a block from my house.
Old 20 March 2017, 03:24 PM

Glasses

But GM, if you hadn't bought the ones you have, no one would've thought to throw away their old ones.

I have to say, your neighborhood apparently throws away much more interesting things than mine. The only two things I've seen lately are a clearly broken former broom closet and a three drawer metal filing cabinet.

Last Friday a friend and I went to Tacoma (about 20 miles south of Seattle) for a show in a 1918 Pantages Theater (yes, it was built for vaudeville shows). I found out they do tours. The theater is closing this summer for renovation, but I'm hoping to organize a tour before that happens.

Also, on the way home, we drove through the detritus of what appeared to be three separate accidents that I found out later was one. I only happened about 15 minutes before we passed. A woman was killed because she was thrown out of the car and into the northbound lanes of the freeway. No one else in the same car was seriously hurt. Wear your seat belts, people!

Seaboe
Old 21 March 2017, 04:09 PM

Out in the car last night and the radio station we were tuned to kept playing Bob Dylan songs. We were bracing ourselves thinking he had died. Much relief to learn it was because he will be playing a concert in a city near us in a few months! I can't take anymore celebrity deaths of people I grew up with (so to speak) right now thankyouverymuch.
Old 22 March 2017, 08:37 PM

Jaded

Right with ya, Chris... like how "nobody knew" how complicated health care could be...
Old 23 March 2017, 03:34 AM

Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
Out in the car last night and the radio station we were tuned to kept playing Bob Dylan songs. We were bracing ourselves thinking he had died. Much relief to learn it was because he will be playing a concert in a city near us in a few months! I can't take anymore celebrity deaths of people I grew up with (so to speak) right now thankyouverymuch.
Yeah, Bob's playing at the Bell Centre soon as well. Personally I think it has terrible acoustics which is one of the reasons why I'm not trying to get tickets from CHOM.
Old 23 March 2017, 03:03 PM

Glasses

As much as I like Bob Dylan's music, I think he's a terrible singer and hasn't been intelligible since the late 60s. Bad acoustics might improve the concert experience, since you wouldn't expect to be able to understand the lyrics.

Seaboe
Old 23 March 2017, 05:38 PM

I have no idea why people have said for decades that Bob Dylan is unintelligible. I've never had a problem understanding his enunciation.
Old 24 March 2017, 02:05 AM

I don't even play the game but the new Flowey icon is freaking me out a bit.
Old 24 March 2017, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
I have no idea why people have said for decades that Bob Dylan is unintelligible. I've never had a problem understanding his enunciation.
Me both. Of all the singers who get this, I have no idea why it would be him. I have so many mondegreeens I can't count but I can't think of many - or really any - for him.
Old 24 March 2017, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
I don't even play the game but the new Flowey icon is freaking me out a bit.
You are filled with determination.
Old 24 March 2017, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
I suspect that a lot of it has to do with his performance of "Masters of War" at the 1991 Grammys - allegedly deliberately unintelligible as part of his commentary on the Gulf War. For many (myself included, at the time), it was the only live Dylan performance they had seen, and being such a high-profile gig with such a big buildup in the introduction (he was the recipient of a lifetime achievement award), I think people assumed that this must be representative of Dylan's work.
Old 24 March 2017, 02:17 PM

My neighbour cut down all the trees in his front garden including the large bottlebrush tree which was overhanging my yard. On the one hand part of my garden always struggled to grow because it was always in the shade of that tree, on the other hand the tree had been part of the skyline every time I stepped out of my house for the last 16 years so it'll be a bit odd adjusting to that change. My front yard will also feel a lot more open and exposed and my housemates who live in the two front bedrooms will get a lot more sun which will be a real bother on extremely hot days.

But I'm also pretty sure that the local birds and possums will be much more put out by the change. Quite a lot of birds seemed to eat the nectar from that tree and it also seemed to be a crucial step in the Possum Highway which let the possums travel all over the neighbourhood without having to come down to ground level. I suspect that some of the possums may have also been nesting in that tree because it was one of the few large trees left in the area.

I hope the possums are okay.
Closed Thread