snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 13 March 2017, 11:10 PM

I have more or less made the decision to not renew my current contract at the clinic. I bought a house here last year with the intent of staying for awhile but things have kind of gone to hell since then and now the headache of moving and selling the house are less than the headache of staying at my current job. I have a phone interview set up with a clinic in Halifax. It's going to be a long difficult process but better in the long run.
Old 14 March 2017, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keket View Post
I have a phone interview set up with a clinic in Halifax. It's going to be a long difficult process but better in the long run.
Sorry you're facing this situation. Hope the phone interview goes well!
Old 14 March 2017, 05:35 PM

Good luck, Keket. Speaking of jobs I just realized that this is the anniversary week of my last week working the job from hell. One of the best feelings in the world is waking up the day after you've left a horrible job and knowing you don't ever have to go into that workplace again . Not that I don't have nightmares where I'm back there and even in my dream it's just as horrible as it was in real life!
Old 14 March 2017, 06:01 PM

That is a hard choice, Kekat, but good luck to you. Several years ago I upended my life to leave a job that had gone sour. I think it gave me a much happier reality.

On a related note, I just found out how far it is from Sydney to Halifax Nova Scotia. I don't know why I thought Nova Scotia was so much smaller than it is. Probably just because so many of the other provinces are BIG, so it looks so small on a map of Canada.

On an unrelated note, our projected 12-18 inches of snow turned into about...4, with an ice crust in the middle. We are all pretty disappointed.
Old 14 March 2017, 07:05 PM

Canada

And in the bigger provinces you get so that you don't even think of that distance as far. When "Beauty and the Beast" comes out, my wife and I will run down the nearest theatre to see it. It's a six hundred km round trip. When I lived in Nova Scotia we would plan for a week to go to the Annapolis Valley, 125 km away.
Old 15 March 2017, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfresh View Post
That is a hard choice, Kekat, but good luck to you. Several years ago I upended my life to leave a job that had gone sour. I think it gave me a much happier reality.

On a related note, I just found out how far it is from Sydney to Halifax Nova Scotia. I don't know why I thought Nova Scotia was so much smaller than it is. Probably just because so many of the other provinces are BIG, so it looks so small on a map of Canada.
We are small, but we lack straight line roads. It takes the better part of 2 hours to get to the mainland from Sydney just because there's no direct route. Though even considering that, the province is much smaller width wise than length wise. I hope the interview with the Halifax clinic works out, I think I'm technically supposed to give notice on Monday for my contract termination. Though I know my boss will make my life a living hell for my remaining two months if I give notice.
Old 15 March 2017, 12:53 AM

Bang Head

Good luck Keket.

I know from first hand experience what a sucky job situation can do to quality of life.

It was the early '80s. The economy was in the tank. We were all being treated like crap because the employer knew he could get away with it. I had terrible pains in my neck extending down to my arm. I could barely sleep. Then, one day, 5 of us were called into the boss's office, and given 15 minutes to clean our desks. "And don't be stealing any prints!" he said wagging his finger at us. I packed my desk, then, on impulse, walked back into his office and told him exactly what kind of Derriere Chapeau I thought he was. It's the only time in my entire career I burned my bridges upon a departure. I turned to leave. "Wait a minute! Get back in here!" "*bleep* you!" and out the door I went.

On my way home, I noticed my neck and shoulder pains were gone, and that night I slept the best I had in some time.

I hope you experience a similar liberation.
Old 15 March 2017, 01:34 PM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLite View Post
And in the bigger provinces you get so that you don't even think of that distance as far. When "Beauty and the Beast" comes out, my wife and I will run down the nearest theatre to see it. It's a six hundred km round trip. When I lived in Nova Scotia we would plan for a week to go to the Annapolis Valley, 125 km away.
Ah, the different geographical minds. When we live in NB, going for an overnight to watch an event in Quebec City is a spur of the moment thing. Six hours there, six hours back, hotel is booked... honey, if we leave in 10 minutes we can have supper on the Grande Allee.

But when we lived in England, going to Reading to take advantage of a one-of-a-kind concert would have taken some major convincing. And Reading was 45 minutes away.

Quote:
We are small, but we lack straight line roads. It takes the better part of 2 hours to get to the mainland from Sydney just because there's no direct route. Though even considering that, the province is much smaller width wise than length wise. I hope the interview with the Halifax clinic works out, I think I'm technically supposed to give notice on Monday for my contract termination. Though I know my boss will make my life a living hell for my remaining two months if I give notice.
That dog-leg through Truro is a major annoyance. My Dad's family is from Inverness, and to drive almost all the way to New Brunswick before making that left at Truro to go to Halifax was annoying as a kid.
Old 15 March 2017, 01:47 PM

Jolly Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
Ah, the different geographical minds...
I went to visit my daughter, in Baltimore, a couple years ago for a long weekend. It's a ten hour drive each way. I actually enjoy the drive.

We had dinner with her SO and his mother who is English. She just couldn't get over the fact that I drove ten hours to get there, much less for just a three day weekend.
Old 15 March 2017, 02:00 PM

My daughter and I had a blast driving from Columbus to Seattle, even with the limitations we dealt with re: budget, range* and time. I'd love to do it again, minus those.

*Her car got great mileage but had a a tiny gas tank.
Old 15 March 2017, 02:27 PM

Glasses

When my dad first got his defibrillator, he couldn't drive for six months. Every weekend, either my sister or I went over to Pullman (300 miles one way) to help him do chores. We knew he was feeling better when he commented to a neighbor "600 miles is an awfully long way to drive to take your father to the grocery store."

Seaboe

Last edited by Seaboe Muffinchucker; 15 March 2017 at 02:28 PM. Reason: because I don't like people who fail to put a space between the word and the paren.
Old 15 March 2017, 04:49 PM

Quote:
We are small, but we lack straight line roads. ...Though I know my boss will make my life a living hell for my remaining two months if I give notice.
I'm from Maine (hi neighbor!) so I know about the lack of straight roads. From my parents to my uncle's house is 20 miles, but takes about 2 hours due to the whole roads thing.

The fact that you know your boss is so unprofessional as to make you miserable since you are leaving is a great reason to leave.
Old 15 March 2017, 06:25 PM

Pig

*Dies from the little piggy cuteness*
Old 15 March 2017, 10:37 PM

Canada

Man, Quebec has really been welcoming me with open arms... we got 40cm here in Montreal and everyone's got a crazy story of something crazy from last night. Including one co-worker who had to ditch a bus that got stuck in a snow bank!

Half the office isn't even in if they lived somewhere the transportation was out.

I came in because I live ten minutes away and I walk, but it's making things a little difficult given that I still need to buy cat litter and the nearest pet store requires transit or a car (ha ha ha I am not driving in this nope no way uh uh).

My two month job anniversary sailed by last week. I'm still in awe of how awful last year was, and how it feels so far away now.
Old 15 March 2017, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebochan View Post
it's making things a little difficult given that I still need to buy cat litter and the nearest pet store requires transit or a car (ha ha ha I am not driving in this nope no way uh uh).
If you have some cat litter, scoop obvious leavings, leave the rest in the pan, and hope the cat uses it. Most of them will.

If you haven't any, this might be the time to find out if your cat(s) will use torn up newspaper, or office paper if you haven't any newspaper. Many of them will.

If you're getting anything like the blowing snow we are, no, scrub the floors and walls and even bedding after it's all over if you have to, but you're entirely right about not trying to drive in it.
Old 15 March 2017, 11:47 PM

I still have some to use in the pan, it's just getting low. I'm hoping tomorrow things will be in better shape, but also more of the pet stores will be open later tomorrow and I can hop the metro on the way home from work and tote it back in my rolling bag.

But yea, no joke, people died out here yesterday, this blizzard is nuts.
Old 16 March 2017, 02:21 AM

Airplane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
We had dinner with her SO and his mother who is English. She just couldn't get over the fact that I drove ten hours to get there, much less for just a three day weekend.
While traveling in Norway a few years ago I met an Australian guy who couldn't get over the fact that I flew all the way to Europe just for a two week vacation.
Old 16 March 2017, 02:31 PM

Baseball

So, I'm changing units this summer. In July, I move to a different unit (still inside the same gigantic building) to a job that seems it was tailor made for my skills**.

I am really enjoying the job I am doing now, as I am an instructor for relatively new officers, subalterns and junior captains, in operating in an all-arms team. But, I am looking at my next job with a lot of anticipation.

So, yesterday, I got a call out of the blue. Can I come down to the office where I will be moving? A bit early, but not unheard of. After all, as I will be assuming the work of the officer in that job, he needs to have a period to hand over files and knowledge of the work that is ongoing. So, I grabbed my day planner and went to his office, fully expecting to plan out the timing for my handover.

Nope. I got told that the new unit wants me there in 3 weeks. Can I come? Oh, and by the way, the job has been upgraded to a A tier job (gateway for promotion). I was almost bursting. I said that I would love to come, now it is up to the two COs to discuss my posting. So, perhaps this time next month I'll be in a much nicer office, up to my eyeballs in work, and loving it.

All told, yesterday was a good day.

**Or more accurately, I was trained to fall into that job at some point in my career.
Old 16 March 2017, 02:43 PM

Awesome news, UEL! And so nice that you get to stay where you are, geographically I mean.
Old 16 March 2017, 04:22 PM

Congratulations, UEL. It is nice to be wanted, and hopefully the higher ups can work it out, even better if that doesn't mean you end up doing two jobs for a while.