snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 21 February 2017, 09:54 PM

Flame With friends like this who needs enemies

Last November a, now ex, friend called me up and said that his credit card had been skimmed and his bank account emptied and could I possibly lend him some money until it was settled with the bank and the insurance company? Being a nice person I did (as did another friend that he had also contacted, I found out).

Now it seems that he has, apart from borrowing money from friends with no intent of returning it, stolen money that several customers has paid for air tickets all over the World (he had ordered and delivered round tickets from the airlines, cancelled the return tickets once the customer had left the country and pocketed the refunded money), emptied the company bank account and disappeared. Most probably to Thailand.

I can only hope he will get caught and spend some time in the Bangkok Hilton before being extradited to Sweden as I don't believe in turning the other cheek in his case.
Old 22 February 2017, 12:14 AM

Wow. How does a person just stop caring whether or not they're a total a-hole?

I hope that you didn't lose too much in stolen money, but most of all I hope you don't lose too much in stolen kindness. I probably don't even have to say this, but try not to see this as a punishment for being generous to friends. You did the right thing, but a wrong thing was done to it. I think the hardest part when you feel a friend has duped you is accepting that you couldn't have had laser truth vision that cut through the BS.
Old 22 February 2017, 04:31 AM

Wow that is shocking Floater. I was literally open mouthed in shock. I agree with Blatherskite, don't let this change you from being a generous person, with the way that certain politicians these days it is even more important that those that are decent and generous remain that way.
Old 22 February 2017, 12:40 PM

He wasn't stupid enough to book his flights through the same company so that you could see where he's gone, then? Not that it would necessarily help in tracking him down. I mean, I can almost see how somebody could decide it didn't matter if they ripped off a company, but not individual customers or friends...
Old 22 February 2017, 01:13 PM

Judge

I was thinking of the customers who might be stranded somewhere because he cancelled their return tickets and they may have not the money to buy new ones.

Can you sue him, Floater? Not because I would expect some relevant outcome just now, but once you have a court decision in your favour, you can file that away, and if he ever comes back to Sweden and comes into money (if only the money he may get for working inside the prison), you take it out and claim your money back.
Old 22 February 2017, 04:22 PM

Ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Enrico View Post
I was thinking of the customers who might be stranded somewhere because he cancelled their return tickets and they may have not the money to buy new ones.

Can you sue him, Floater? Not because I would expect some relevant outcome just now, but once you have a court decision in your favour, you can file that away, and if he ever comes back to Sweden and comes into money (if only the money he may get for working inside the prison), you take it out and claim your money back.
That might be worth looking into. I wonder if it's possible to do that as a class action (or its Swedish equivalent)?
Old 22 February 2017, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Enrico View Post
I can always make a claim, but unfortunately I don't think I'll be very high up on the list of people wanting to flog him.
Old 22 February 2017, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
That might be worth looking into. I wonder if it's possible to do that as a class action (or its Swedish equivalent)?
I have no idea how the Swedish legal system works but I think that if he ever goes to court all complaints will be wrapped up in one big case. If that is a class action so be it. What I can do is take it to the the Swedish Enforcement Authority and hope I can get my money back that way, if he ever returns, but there is little hope as there are no written agreements between us (what is a piece of paper among friends?).
Old 22 February 2017, 10:37 PM

One thing I'm planning on doing is to spread the word in the world of the Hash House Harriers, which be both are members of. Both of us have a very large international circle of acquaintances and if word goes around he will hopefully be ostracised around the World, but first I have to check what really has happened.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hash_House_Harriers

Last edited by Floater; 22 February 2017 at 11:04 PM.
Old 23 February 2017, 07:01 PM

Icon105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floater View Post
Iif he ever goes to court all complaints will be wrapped up in one big case. If that is a class action so be it. .
Yup, that what a class action is. Good luck whatever you decide to do!
Old 24 February 2017, 02:24 AM

Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
Yup, that what a class action is. Good luck whatever you decide to do!
I got the impression that a class action is more like a number of people go together and sue someone on similar grounds. This would be more like a prosecutor stack all complaints reported to the police on top of each other in the same court case.
Old 24 February 2017, 03:00 AM

I had a friend like this a long time ago. He was also a performer so he made a lot of hay out of the things he had done - material making fun of himself in a way but all under the pretense that that was a former him and now that he'd stopped drinking, etc, he would no longer do any such thing. I mean, we had bumper stickers about this. Everyone knew. After losing literally every cent of my own money in a business we had together, I fell out with him. (That particular incident wasn't his fault or mine but the way he handled the end made me lose trust in him.)

Fast forward 25 years and I have found online that he never really stopped any of the awful stuff he was doing and now, if he's still alive, has several outstanding warrants and leads a life in which he can never really show his face anywhere. Even his family abandoned him. I found the comment of a mutual friend of ours on one of several pages dedicated to letting everyone know not to trust him. It was simply stating (in nfbsk words) what a terrible person he turned out to be. He used to say how people get almost always get what they deserve but I just think about his children (they also commented on a few of those pages, mostly about how they want nothing to do with him but also about things they've had to endure) and the people around him. Did they deserve that? I don't think so.

Sorry to go off on my own story but it's been on my lately.
Old 24 February 2017, 01:46 PM

Judge

[joke]In Sweden, people like in the OP, who break the law, are set to work in Ikea work camps, testing out all the new products, but having to assemble them without any Allen keys.[/joke]