snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Closed Thread

Old 22 February 2017, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
Well, you could always cast off and call it a moebius scarf.
I actually thought about doing that, but the yarn is pretty valuable (undyed Castlemilk Moorit and Portland wool) and I wouldn't have had enough left for the skirt. Plus I was 1/4 way into a pattern.
Old 22 February 2017, 01:45 PM

In the last 2 weeks I have had to go out to 3 lambings, a calving and a prolapsed cow uterus, with the latter I had help from our new colleague.
When I got back today I jokingly complained about being physically the weakest of the 4 vets, yet I always seem to be getting the heavier jobs lately. Our receptionist immediately said: "Well, I'm not supposed to say it, but it's not really a woman's job, is it?"
I told her my gender had nothing to do with it. After some more talking, she told me that if a man isn't the main bread winner, she thinks it makes him look weak.

Somebody tell her Victoria isn't queen anymore...
Old 22 February 2017, 02:21 PM

Glasses

Sounds like she's been dying to say something and you inadvertently provided her with the opportunity.

Seaboe
Old 22 February 2017, 02:53 PM

Oh, she makes it clear that a woman should have a man to take care of her, this was just one of several occasions.
Somewhat ironically, she herself is single (ex-husband dumped her with 3 young kids about 20 years ago) and wonders why she can't find a man.
Old 22 February 2017, 04:08 PM

There are certainly men out there who agree with her, especially with the part about a man looking "weak" if he's not the main breadwinner.

The shocking part to me is that she still believes/says stuff like that after her experience. You'd think it would have taught her how important it is that women be able to support themselves and their families.
Old 22 February 2017, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
There are certainly men out there who agree with her, especially with the part about a man looking "weak" if he's not the main breadwinner.
There's even politicians who try to block equal pay bills on similar grounds:
Quote:
Green said in his letter, published Wednesday by the Park Record and the Wasatch Wave, that men make more than women because they’re “the primary breadwinners” of their families, and paying women equally would somehow ruin the makeup of a traditional family where “the Mother” remains at home raising children.

“If businesses are forced to pay women the same as male earnings, that means they will have to reduce the pay for the men they employ, simple economics,” Green wrote. “If that happens, then men will have an even more difficult time earning enough to support their families, which will mean more Mothers will be forced to leave the home (where they may prefer to be) to join the workforce to make up the difference.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.2317a7cf886b
Old 22 February 2017, 04:51 PM

As I said in the thread about a GOP chair making similar statements:

That is not how salaries work.
Old 22 February 2017, 05:01 PM

Quote:
As I said in the thread about a GOP chair making similar statements:

That is not how salaries work.
Ah, it's the same guy. I forgot where I read about it.

I'll go update that thread with the latest news ....
Old 22 February 2017, 09:05 PM

Quote:
You'd think it would have taught her how important it is that women be able to support themselves and their families.
One of her favourite sayings was "A real woman can do everything. A real man won't let her."

She also scoffed at my colleague staying home to take care of his sick son. His wife had already taken 2 days of before, but couldn't take anymore paid leave. Receptionist said she should've taken sick leave because taking care of a sick child is "her job".
Old 22 February 2017, 09:14 PM

Wow. She needs to mind her own business.
Old 22 February 2017, 11:44 PM

My supposed smart phone makes so many stupid noises that I can't distinguish the ones that mean something from the ones that don't mean anything, and so I generally ignore them all until I give up and look and find that I've missed something.

If I look when it makes a noise, half the time I can't even see why it's made the noise at all - there's no new message or anything showing. It's linked itself to every bit of software it can, and (being Android) anything to do with Google that it can, so it bleeps in some way each time I get a spam email on my gmail account, even. In some cases I think it bleeps when some bit of software decides to update itself. There's usually a bleep and a buzz if it gets excited about something on Facebook, but I rarely use my phone to look at Facebook, and most of the time I'd be near a computer and checking occasionally anyway.

But I can't see any consistent pattern as to what noise it makes at what point, and it doesn't seem to make a unique sound when somebody sends me a text message or other personal message that I might want to read. So either I look at it all the time for no reason, or I miss things.

It also seems to save up its beeps and make them all at once - it's been beeping constantly just now, hence this post, and apart from a friend inviting me to the pub earlier (which I missed) there's nothing useful at all. The two beeps that happened while I was writing the last paragraph seem to be telling me about an "app optimisation" that I could use to save battery power, and an email telling me that my login to something or other has failed, when I've not tried to log in to anything and this email is not showing in my gmail account anyway - there's only the usual spam. Maybe my phone was telling me that it can't log into my gmail account. Stupid thing.
Old 23 February 2017, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
My supposed smart phone makes so many stupid noises that I can't distinguish the ones that mean something from the ones that don't mean anything, and so I generally ignore them all until I give up and look and find that I've missed something.
There should be something in the options menu that lets you turn off alarms for everything except texts and phone calls. You'll probably need to scroll down a whole long list and change settings on a bunch of things but you should only need to do it once.
Old 23 February 2017, 04:32 AM

I always have to turn off my alerts for everything when I get a new phone, which occurs so infrequently (about every 4 years) that I have to relearn how all over again.

My LTTAM/possible stupid question, while we're on the subject: my aunt has learned how to text and has decided email is obsolete. Since she's a morning person, she'll text us all her thoughts between 6 and 7 a.m., just long enough before I'd be getting up anyway that I can't get back to sleep. Because they're so long, they come through as a string of 7 or 8 texts, often out of order because that just seems to happen for whatever reason. I've already asked her not to do this, at least not so early, but she apparently forgets. Is there a way to silence texts from just one person? Should I just silence my phone entirely while I sleep and risk missing an emergency? Should I just hold out hope that in 10 or 20 years she'll discover Facebook and the problem will solve itself?
Old 23 February 2017, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprise Me View Post
I always have to turn off my alerts for everything when I get a new phone, which occurs so infrequently (about every 4 years) that I have to relearn how all over again.

My LTTAM/possible stupid question, while we're on the subject: my aunt has learned how to text and has decided email is obsolete. Since she's a morning person, she'll text us all her thoughts between 6 and 7 a.m., just long enough before I'd be getting up anyway that I can't get back to sleep. Because they're so long, they come through as a string of 7 or 8 texts, often out of order because that just seems to happen for whatever reason. I've already asked her not to do this, at least not so early, but she apparently forgets. Is there a way to silence texts from just one person? Should I just silence my phone entirely while I sleep and risk missing an emergency? Should I just hold out hope that in 10 or 20 years she'll discover Facebook and the problem will solve itself?
I use the Verizon Messages app so don't know how it would work with the stock app(will look there in a minute). On mine you can mute individual conversations- I assume that would turn off notifications. Doesn't look like the Samsung stock SMS app can mute individual conversations but you can turn off notifications.

I have my phone on silent anyway... I would likely not hear it.. instead I use an app to flash when a message comes in- for email, FB Messenger and GMail. Used to for LINE app but I kept getting so many- our GOW group can be chatty...) so turned that one off.
Old 23 February 2017, 11:22 AM

I use the same app as Ducky, but if you use a different one I'm sure there's a way to do something similar. For us, you go to the list of text conversations and press and hold one, and then you can mute that conversation via a button at the top of the screen. But I am sure if you go into contacts and hit "edit contact" you will also be able to manipulate text/ringtone notifications from there.

I have to do this with a few of my friends who are most likely to text me each night, when I need to leave my phone on in case of a work call. Like you describe, one friend in particular will send a bunch of messages in a sequence and I get the notification for each one. I wonder if iPhones work differently (which she has), and you only receive one notification if someone texts you a bunch in a short period of time. Perhaps there's a similar setting I can find for my own phone.

LTTAM: I woke up a few hours ago smelling a skunk type smell. Which doesn't make sense because none of my windows are open, so now I'm worried that osmething's gone wrong with my humidifer OR something died in the basement somewhere or in the heat vent system somehow. I can still smell it. None of the three of us currently in the house smoke either, so it's not that.
Old 23 February 2017, 02:34 PM

Glasses

I don't know if this is something that annoys me or makes me happy.

They're giving out donuts today in honor of our bonus (which is based on company performance). Or rather, they're giving out Krispy Kreme's sugar-soaked versions. I'm annoyed because there are much better donuts out there (people, this is the home of Top Pot!), but happy because knowing they're KK's removes the temptation to take one.

Seaboe
Old 23 February 2017, 02:43 PM

United Kingdom

The only time I ever tried Krispy Kreme donuts was when we were visiting England back around 2003-4 time frame and they had them on sale in Harrods. I don't know if they are still available there or not but I found it funny that they made it to Harrod's hallowed halls. I thought they were ok, nothing to go to Harrods and pay a ridiculous price for though!
Old 23 February 2017, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravo View Post

LTTAM: I woke up a few hours ago smelling a skunk type smell. Which doesn't make sense because none of my windows are open, so now I'm worried that osmething's gone wrong with my humidifer OR something died in the basement somewhere or in the heat vent system somehow. I can still smell it. None of the three of us currently in the house smoke either, so it's not that.
Possibly you've got an actual skunk.

If something could get into the basement to die there, a skunk could probably get into the basement to live there. Proceed with caution if so -- you don't want to scare it!
Old 23 February 2017, 03:52 PM

Australia

I posted a photo of myself in the Pictures of Snopesters thread dressed as a 1970s stuntman, complete with full costume and a whole bunch of patriotic flags. I don't normally drape myself with flags like that but the over-the-top patriotism is a pretty big part of being a stereotypical 1970s stuntman.

LTTAM: overt patriotism is pretty closely associated with a certain type of angry "F$# Off We're Full" anti-immigration white supremacist here in Australia these days so I'm worried that people will assume I'm a racist when they see me decked out in all this stuff.
People who have seen me wearing the costume out in public have usually reacted VERY positively but there's a good chance that someone will jump to an erroneous conclusion and get offended at some point. I'm not annoyed at them so much, it's the racist yobbos who have staked a claim on overt patriotism that are ruining it for everyone else.

That blue flag with the white cross & stars I'm holding is the Eureka flag which these days is about the closet thing we have to the Confederate flag here in Australia in terms of who displays it and why, which is a damn shame because the miners who staged the Eureka stockade back in 1854 were pretty darned inclusive. I'll probably have to stop using it altogether.
Old 23 February 2017, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
it's the racist yobbos who have staked a claim on overt patriotism that are ruining it for everyone else.
I have a small USA flag I bought back in the 70's or 80's to carry to protest marches; and I carry it when I protest now -- then and now for the same reason. It's my flag, and my country, too, damn it. The reactionaries are not allowed to steal it.

I'm sorry, but not surprised, to find they're making the same attempt to do so in other countries.
Closed Thread