snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 29 September 2017, 03:03 PM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errata View Post
In that context I clearly was referring to cuisine and not ingredients. Even American ingredients took a roundabout path back to us in terms of the techniques we commonly use to prepare them today in the US.

Rice, wheat, apples, oranges, cows (including beef and dairy), chicken, pigs, onions, lettuce, broad categories of seafood, etc, did not originate exclusive in the Americas. While some staple vegetables, grains, fruits, and other foods that we now take for granted did originate here, and their availability dramatically transformed global cuisine, I question your analysis even on an ingredient basis (though that's tangential to what I was talking about). I doubt you'd establish that corn, potatoes, and the like make up 51% of our diet, but even if you did that's not a "vast majority". It definitely doesn't make up 80%.
Crops native to the Americas is a bigger list than you might think. Some, of course are native to both Old and New-grapes, strawberries and beans, for example- but the list is big.

Here's a list: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_food_origins
Old 29 September 2017, 04:09 PM

I was surprised to learn that the last ice age wiped out a lot of the worms in North America. Most of the worms in our gardens are descended from immigrant worms that came over in root balls etc. with the colonists. (There are some native American worms along the Southern coast.) I have garden beds based on Native American Three Sisters, medieval gardens, a keyhole, and some ordinary raised beds. Chasing down down varieties for the time specific bed was a fun exercise but to findout about how something as fundamental as worms are different in different areas was remarkable.
Old 02 October 2017, 05:24 AM

You'd think the owners of Youtube, a company that presumably knows more than anyone about search, could do something about the fact that a search for news items invariably results in the top fifteen or more hits being robot voices reading cribbed news articles over stale still shots -- sometimes unrelated to any of the items in the search. Youtube is becoming unusable.
Old 02 October 2017, 03:28 PM

Glasses

My internet at home is cutting out intermittently, and I had to make an appointment with CenturyLink to come look at it. The FWP is the usual, that they can only give me a four hour window for when they'll show up.

Not that the intermittent cutting out isn't an FWP in its own right...

On the plus side, when I was chatting with the help people, and told them I'd already tried resetting the modem, they didn't ask me to try that again. They went straight to trying to figure out if it was the line.

Seaboe
Old 02 October 2017, 03:59 PM

France

Quote:
My internet at home is cutting out intermittently, and I had to make an appointment with CenturyLink to come look at it. The FWP is the usual, that they can only give me a four hour window for when they'll show up.
I have the same problem. Usually, a trip to the box takes care of that (I simply turn it off and on again).
Old 02 October 2017, 06:42 PM

On another message board I frequent the moderator goes in now and then and deletes posts he thinks are irrelevant to whatever the thread under discussion happens to be. What ends up happening is the most interesting parts of the conversation get cut! I could understand if we veered into politics or talked too much about our cats or what we had for dinner but usually the conversations are a natural progression of the topic at hand.
Old 02 October 2017, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
The one-hour window that Spectrum offers is so far the only thing preventing them from losing their race to the bottom with my previous provider, Time Warner.
Old 02 October 2017, 07:58 PM

TV

DH and I were having problems with the TV signal cutting off, then the signal downloading and reverting to the previously watched channel. I called Verizon, and a replacement set top was delivered. It was the wrong type. Called Verizon again, and was told that I could pick up a replacement at one of their stores. So I had to get in the car, find the store, and between all that travel up and down a very busy road trying to find this hole in the wall store.
Old 02 October 2017, 11:15 PM

Quote:
My internet at home is cutting out intermittently,
Seaboe
Check the ends of the cable connections to be sure that a loose connection isn't the problem.
Old 03 October 2017, 01:10 AM

Baseball

No baseball tonight.

*cue violins*
Old 03 October 2017, 03:02 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
Check the ends of the cable connections to be sure that a loose connection isn't the problem.
Well, that sort of assumes there's a cable involved...

This is a DSL line (I know, no one has those anymore).

Seaboe
Old 03 October 2017, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Well, that sort of assumes there's a cable involved...

This is a DSL line (I know, no one has those anymore).

Seaboe

My home internet service is a twisted wire copper pair, but we do not have a copper pair telephone line. Our phone service is Vonage VoIP.

So I guess it is still considered DSL service, perhaps more correctly ADSL, since the upload speed is much slower than the download speed.

It is not a coaxial line feed, but at some point upstream from our neighborhood, AT&T does indeed have a large box where no doubt a consolidated fiber feed comes to our neighborhood and then each subscriber on AT&T in the neighborhood is fed from that common terminal.

In our yard is an AT&T pedestal where these lines come to a termination point to feed the homes close to that point.
Old 04 October 2017, 02:18 PM

Glasses

I can't remember what he called the box you describe, UL101, but that wasn't where the problem was. The interesting thing is that there were two problems. He solved one and got my internet back, but the other problem means I have no phone (my new FWP). How I can have no phone when I have internet and they use the same wires, I have no clue.

They're coming on Friday to fix the phone problem, which requires a bucket truck. Won't my neighbors be happy.

Seaboe
Old 04 October 2017, 09:03 PM

My prescription sun glasses are polarized. The screen on my smart phone is polarized. I can't see the screen on my phone when it is vertical because of the crossed polarizations. (I can see it when it is horizontal.)
Old 05 October 2017, 02:25 PM

Normally my biggest annoyance on my FB is the way some of my family members overshare the minute details of their lives (no I really do not need to know that you stopped off at Timmies for a coffee) but today the Great Abortion Debate has arrived thanks to Ontario planning to create safe zones near abortion clinics. Abortion is just one of those topics where, while most of us can manage to agree to disagree civilly, there are a few who get heated and personal. Oh this is going to be fun - I think I'll just avoid checking in for a day or two until things calm down.
Old 18 October 2017, 04:29 PM

This could also fit in the "lttle things thay annoy me section." It is annoying when there is road construction, and while that construction is still going on, someone makes the bright idea of to start construction one of the roads used for a detour. Can't whomever makes the decision to start construction think about how the projects are going to affect commutes or ease of traffic flow around certain areas? Or when a road is closed/ under construction for quite a while, then finally reopens, and then has to be closed again for some other construction job. No one had the for thought to do all the jobs at once?
Old 23 October 2017, 09:49 AM

On your first case: The second construction might be caused by an emergency. You can't put of the fixing of a broken pipe, even if it's under a road used as a detour for another construction.

On your second case: In Hamburg, they once tried to maintain a database of scheduled road constructions, so that when the road was dug up for sewer maintenance work, the tv cable guys could put in their cable at the same time. The stopped that after it turned out that all these works are part of interconnected plans - the sewer people can maintenance the sewer under street B only after the work on sewer under street A is finished, which will be in June. The cable people have to get the cable under street B into the ground by May so they can connect it to the cable under street C in June. Therefore, the cable people can't wait for the sewer people, and the sewer people can't pre-pone (is that a word?) their work to match the schedule of the cable people.

Last edited by Don Enrico; 23 October 2017 at 10:05 AM.
Old 23 October 2017, 03:03 PM

One of the local towns got smart on the roads. The town tells when and where they are going to be cutting open a road. If you put your pipes or wires in at that time, the town will cover the repaving costs. if you put yours in later, then you have to pay for the repaving costs. It REALLY motivates the utilities to get their pipe or wire in at the right time, to save many thousands of dollars.
Old 23 October 2017, 03:15 PM

Glasses

I'm pretty sure it's the same in the Puget Sound area, dfresh. However, it doesn't seem to stop them having to cut open patches after paving to fix things.

Seaboe
Old 23 October 2017, 03:35 PM

Icon02

My Toastmasters meeting is held on the ground floor of a two story building; it's way easier to enter through the first floor doors and take the elevator down. Easier that is, unless the elevator has been out of commission for the last two weeks! My knees are not happy!