snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 28 December 2016, 03:28 AM

Icon06 2016

I think 2016 deserves its own thread about all the big, and little, things that made it such a kidney stone of a year.

For me, it's a lot of things -- work, personal stuff, good people dying -- but mainly that I am still astonished and appalled that there are people in this country who actually think electing Donald Trump was a good idea.

I think there's only one explanation....

[/URL]

Last edited by E. Q. Taft; 28 December 2016 at 03:39 AM.
Old 28 December 2016, 12:00 PM

Icon06

This was an expensive year for me: a new furnace and whole lot of car repairs. Also a sad one: it's bad enough loosing pets, but loosing two in one year is more than I can handle.

But then again, DH and I did celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary, and I started getting serious about screwing my head back on--straight this time.
Old 28 December 2016, 01:29 PM

Dunno. It was weird but not aristocrats weird. It wasn't 1967 weird. That was a weird year for me too because I wouldn't exist for another two years.

Recently someone said to me, going from something Dana Carvey said, "well where were you during the Renaissance. That's where you'll be when you're dead. How bad is that?..." And on like that and all I could think was "That was a terrible time. The Renaissance. Also, I hated every minute of not being there. Almost as much as 1967." Well, anyway, it's good to be here in 2016. We've been through some weird stuff even over the four decades that I have any hope of really remembering. I don't think it's anything to keep moaning about. I mean, just looking at my calendar for 2017, we'll probably be wishing it were 2016 again in no time. Like, three weeks.

So enjoy it while it lasts.
Old 28 December 2016, 01:39 PM

I also had two major medical issues this year -- one was dental, which had been building up for years if not decades, but which I finally had the insurance to cover: all but two of my teeth were extracted, and I'm now a denture-wearer. (Then, a couple of months ago, the lower one abruptly broke. When I went in to have this dealt with, they said, "Oh, this is the temporary one, you were only supposed to use it for a few weeks, but you never came back for the permanent one." Gee, maybe if you had told me that.... fortunately, a local lady who specializes in denture repair was able to fix it in about an hour for a hundred bucks, and the permanent one is now on its way.)

The other was when I went in for a routine eye exam and they discovered both my retinas were detached. That resulted in my first-ever surgeries and missing a month of work. My vision was preserved, but it is absolutely not what it was before. In fact, with both that and the dentistry, I feel I'm "worse off" than I was before the treatment -- my teeth were bad before, but I could still eat pretty much whatever I wanted; now I have to be a lot more restrictive and careful -- though this has resulted in my losing some weight, so it's not all bad -- and my vision was only being slightly affected at the time by the retinal issue. In the long run, of course, both needed to be done, but in the short term, they seem like (expensive) setbacks.

Well, I'm 55 -- I suppose it was time.

My job also became steadily less pleasant all year -- changes, reconstruction, etc. I did spend a couple of very good and exciting months on a major project, but when it was over and I was back to my 'regular' job, it had changed in ways I really disliked and in fact could not entirely handle. Fortunately, I applied for and finally got another position in the company I think will be a much better fit (and which pays more, somewhat to my surprise). So, I'm optimistic -- although two weeks into the position, they still haven't managed to get me access to all the tools I need to actually do the job, so I'm kind of on hold when it comes to learning how to perform it. Gah.

Still, it makes me think 2017 will be, on a personal level, an improvement. (I'm also curiously less stressed out by Trump being President-Elect than I was by the election season. Not that it won't be appalling, but it isn't making me personally lose sleep. Don't know why, but I'll take it.)
Old 28 December 2016, 02:11 PM

Bear

2016 in a nutshell..

Old 28 December 2016, 02:11 PM

2016 was a bad year for my extended family. Two cancer diagnosis and three deaths being the highlights. But there was also job loss, a marriage break-up that left my sister basically destitute and back living with my parents and a whole lot of other stuff happening all at once. The Trump election was the icing on top of a crappy cake of a year .
Old 28 December 2016, 03:06 PM

TGG: I am reminded of an old story.

In somewhat shortened form:

A family goes to the rabbi and complains that things are terrible and look like getting worse yet.

And the rabbi answers them:

So, two things could happen. Things could get better, or things could get worse.

If things get better -- well then things got better! What were we so worried about?

If things get worse -- well, then, after that, two things could happen. Things could get better, or things could get worse.

If things get better -- well then things got better! What were we so worried about.

If things get worse -- then two things could happen [ . . . keep going until story audience rebels . . . ]

(it does need to be borne in mind that this story comes from people for whom things got a whole lot worse before they got any better. May 2017 and thereafter head in a better direction.)
Old 28 December 2016, 03:08 PM

Life sucks deacribes this last year for us. Our son in law's father was killed by a drnk driver the morninig after the disasterous elction. A couple weeks later our beloved Chihuahua died, and we need to put our old hound dog down, but cannot afford it yet. My neighbor died within weeks of acancer diagnosis, a cowirker was caught and fired for theft, which made our bonuses suck and might for a while 'cause she got a lot before she was caught. AND, my daughter and her family are AGAIN, living with us ' till Feb. The trailer park they were living in was infested with bed bugs and the units were practically on top of each other, so there was no getting rid of them, so nfbsk you 2016.
Old 28 December 2016, 07:42 PM

We just made an appointment to have our 21 year old cat put down. She is no longer able to stand or walk.
Old 29 December 2016, 12:10 PM

Icon105

Brad--my condolences. I knew Felix T. Cat will show her around Heaven and point out all the sunny spots.
Old 29 December 2016, 02:15 PM

Brad, Sylvanz, Sue, DawnStorm: I am sorry for your losses.

-- I wish that list of names were shorter; but instead it should actually be much longer.
Old 30 December 2016, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
TGG: I am reminded of an old story.

In somewhat shortened form:

A family goes to the rabbi and complains that things are terrible and look like getting worse yet.

And the rabbi answers them:

So, two things could happen. Things could get better, or things could get worse.

If things get better -- well then things got better! What were we so worried about?
I've heard this one where each, different options were presented with the final one being: Well, two things could happen - you could live or you could die. If you live, that's good, you are living. And if you die, why worry, you're dean and don't have to worry about anything ever again.
Old 30 December 2016, 11:49 PM

Our cat, Thera, passed very peacefully while I was petting her. As she fell asleep, she purred until...she just stopped. I had to pull myself together before driving home.
Old 31 December 2016, 01:18 AM

Brad, I'm glad she was able to go gently. And you must have given her a very good life, for her to get to be 21.

None of which makes it much easier right now, does it? My sympathy for your loss.
Old 31 December 2016, 09:41 PM

I'm so sorry Brad. I had to put my 20 year pld cat down. Last year. It sucks, but he had a good life and I know your girl did too.
Old 31 December 2016, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
why worry, you're dean and don't have to worry about anything ever again.
I'm dean? That's great! I must be getting a good salary, and have a pension!

And I'm old enough to retire, so I can do that, take the pension, and have time to go right on farming! -- since the main thing I'm personally worried about right now is money, this is good news indeed. And I'll be able to afford to donate to help fight Trump . . .

Old 01 January 2017, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
2016 was a bad year for my extended family. Two cancer diagnosis and three deaths being the highlights. But there was also job loss, a marriage break-up that left my sister basically destitute and back living with my parents and a whole lot of other stuff happening all at once. The Trump election was the icing on top of a crappy cake of a year .
See in my family we call that 1996. Not that there haven't been a few bad years since, but was a bad period.
Old 01 January 2017, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
I'm dean? That's great! I must be getting a good salary, and have a pension!
Whoops, note to self: Read before posting.
Old 01 January 2017, 05:52 PM

Well, 2017 has started out poorly for us. One of our cats had a saddle thrombus early this morning. The prognosis was very poor, and we decided not to pursue drastic measures. Not a hard decision, as the vet that saw her is a Cardiologist, and she did not recommend any attempt at treatment.
Old 02 January 2017, 12:59 AM

My sister's mother-in-law died at 1:40 am. I want assign her death to 2016 since she was so sick for the whole year. Since my father died in March that means my niece and nephews lost two grandparents in one year.