snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Social Studies

Old 22 December 2016, 06:57 AM

Psychic The movie that doesn't exist and the Redditors who think it does

http://www.newstatesman.com/science-...-think-it-does

Quote:
Over the years, hundreds of people online have shared memories of a cheesy Nineties movie called "Shazaam". There is no evidence that such a film was ever made. What does this tell us about the quirks of collective memory?

{ snip }

"Berenstein" truthers believe in something called the "Mandela Effect": a theory that a large group of people with the same false memory used to live in a parallel universe (the name comes from those who fervently believe that Nelson Mandela died while in prison). VICE's article about the theory was shared widely, leading thousands of people to r/MandelaEffect, a subreddit for those with false memories to share their experiences.
I've been exploring this subreddit and the good news is that among all the expected wackiness there are some rational discussions about how these false memories might have come about. And if you're as fascinated by this subject as I am the snopes article provides some really neat history of this subject.

Brian
Old 22 December 2016, 11:27 AM

There's a cryptozoological version of this called "The Thunderbird Photograph", and I'm one of the.. "victims"?.... of it.

Basically, there's a crypto legend that a sepia-tone photograph exists, of a group of American Old West-type characters standing to the sides of a very large bird-like creature that they apparently shot and killed, which has been stretched out and hung on the exterior wall of a wooden building. The bird-like creature is a "thunderbird", and actually looks very much like a pterodactyl.

I encountered this legend in a book on general weirdness, Jerome Clark's Unexplained!. The moment I read it, I thought to myself, "I know that picture! It was in one of those books on the weird I read back in 6th grade - it was one of the books in Mrs. [6th grade homeroom teacher]'s room!" I had a very clear image in my mind of the picture.

It doesn't exist. Whether some version of the Mandela Effect, "holodeck" reality reprogramming, parallel universe switching, or some other supernatural effect, it doesn't exist - but I "remember" it.
Old 22 December 2016, 11:45 AM

I came close to something like this a few months ago when comedian Kevin Meaney died. I was convinced that he had died several years ago, and it was a bit strange for me. I remember reading about his death and being a bit bummed out, etc.

After musing and mulling over it for a day or two, I suddenly realized that the comedian I was thinking of who'd died a while back was John Pinetta. Somehow in my mind when I heard Kevin Meaney had died, it got linked to Pinetta's death and almost became inextricably merged.

The brain is weird. That's the Occam's Razor answer here... it sure as hell makes a lot more sense than "AOMG I'M FROM AN ALTERNATE UNIVERSE!!1!one!"
Old 22 December 2016, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crius of CoH View Post
There's a cryptozoological version of this called "The Thunderbird Photograph"
That's a really widespread one, there's a whole lot of people who swear they've seen that photo. Some of them have even done sketches of the photo they apparently remember and the sketches are usually pretty detailed, but strangely enough there's significant differences between all the sketches I've seen.
Old 22 December 2016, 01:35 PM

That's funny, because I do remember the movie Shazaam. Strange!
Old 22 December 2016, 02:05 PM

Ok... Just so we're all clear, the movie was Kazaam. Yes, I know the article says as much eventually and it hardly diminishes the Mandela effect, in fact it helps clarify it.

It's not some shared memory implanted without explanation, rather it's a misunderstanding of a common memory of a pretty crappy 90's movie that most of us only saw the trailer for (if we saw any part of), some guy mis-remembered the title and the name of the "actor," and because the movie was such a flop almost no one knows the movie well enough to say "no, wait, the title is a bit off and it was Shaq, not Sinbad."

I knew such a movie existed, I must wasn't sure what the title/actor was but I found it through a more general search before I read the statesman article.

Bottom line: you don't remember a movie called Shazaam. You vaguely remember a movie called Kazaam and you only think it might be called Shazaam because someone without any reference insisted its called Shazaam and that is a pretty close match to the title.

ETA: and let's not forget about that cartoon series (that Kazaam probably ripped off) and further confused the heck out of people trying to remember the movie.

Last edited by ASL; 22 December 2016 at 02:34 PM.
Old 22 December 2016, 02:29 PM

There is an old Hanna-Barbera cartoon called Shazzan (note that it ends with an N), about a genie who helps two kids with a flying camel (named Kaboobie) and a fantastic Arabian Nights-style setting. It crops up from time to time on retro cartoon networks like Boomerang.

I think what's happening is that vague memories of that cartoon are getting mixed in with Kazaam, and somehow Sinbad gets cast in the role.

Personal anecdote: When I heard about Kazaam, I at first thought it was going to be an updated, live-action adaptation of Shazzan.
Old 22 December 2016, 02:35 PM

If I start thinking remembering that Mandela died in prison, I'm going to be cross.
Old 22 December 2016, 04:41 PM

I feel like I'm being gaslighted in this thread because I quite clearly remember an ad for Shazaam! in Disney Adventures magazine.

And this is what I've always known as the "Thunderbird photograph." It is, of course, not a real creature, and there are variations, but the image itself exists even if what is displayed is fake. It is obviously not a false memory, because it's right here:

ETA: Is the confusion about the Thunderbird photograph the issue of whether the photo depicts something real (of course it doesn't) or rather that a photograph itself exists? Because what you may be picturing in your head is an image you actually saw, but it's a fake/staged/re-created/manipulated image. That's not the same as the Mandela effect.

Last edited by Cervus; 22 December 2016 at 04:48 PM.
Old 22 December 2016, 04:49 PM

Honestly, it looks like they're standing over a collapsed tent if anything. Now if you want a definitely fake photo:
Old 22 December 2016, 07:47 PM

There was also a live action kids TV show in the 1970s called "Shazam!", which was loosely based on Captain Marvel, see

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shazam!_(TV_series)

Nick
Old 22 December 2016, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
ETA: Is the confusion about the Thunderbird photograph the issue of whether the photo depicts something real (of course it doesn't) or rather that a photograph itself exists? Because what you may be picturing in your head is an image you actually saw, but it's a fake/staged/re-created/manipulated image. That's not the same as the Mandela effect.
That the photo exists. People remember seeing the photo in a book or a magazine as for back as the 1960s but the only versions people can find are modern photoshopped versions.
Old 22 December 2016, 08:54 PM

I'm not sure if Cervus' is photoshopped in part because it looks like a collapsed tent. Or a log with a couple rocks. I could easily see that photo being in a history book (if real) and then having people go "hey, look, this looks like they're standing over a dead pterodactyl, doesn't it?
Old 22 December 2016, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASL View Post
Honestly, it looks like they're standing over a collapsed tent if anything. Now if you want a definitely fake photo:
That particular 'photo' is from episode 4 of the 2000 TV series FreakyLinks, it turns up at about 29:30 in this youtube video.
Old 22 December 2016, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
There's a lot of chatter all over the net saying that this is an actual photo created for the FreakyLinks TV show using a prop pteranodon and some guys in Civil War costumes but a few people are saying that it was for a film.

A few people are identifying this prop as the one in the photo:

CryptoMundo confirms that the prop came from the Fox TV/Universal Studio and is now at the International Cryptozoology Museum.
Old 22 December 2016, 10:17 PM

It turns out that the Cryptozoology Museum identify the model as a prop from the FreakyLinks TV show and display it with a copy of the photo:

Looks like FreakyLinks created both images, one being obviously photoshopped and the other being a staged photo with a prop.
Old 23 December 2016, 01:57 PM

Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Theodorakis View Post
There was also a live action kids TV show in the 1970s called "Shazam!", which was loosely based on Captain Marvel, see

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shazam!_(TV_series)

Nick
Yes, thank you. I clearly remember watching a show- not cartoon- where a guy would yell "shazam!" and activate his superpower. Or something like that.
Old 23 December 2016, 02:11 PM

Vanishing

The FreakyLinks website (meant to represent the website seen in the show) was up long before the show premiered, and was mistaken for a "real" site by some. I remember (no really I do) Fortean Times mentioning it as a very clever parody site - and specifically writing about the thunderbird photo - but they didn't realize it was a marketing gimmick. I don't recall which photo was on the site, but maybe one was on the site and the other on the TV show?
Old 23 December 2016, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasFink View Post
The FreakyLinks website (meant to represent the website seen in the show) was up long before the show premiered, and was mistaken for a "real" site by some. I remember (no really I do) Fortean Times mentioning it as a very clever parody site - and specifically writing about the thunderbird photo - but they didn't realize it was a marketing gimmick. I don't recall which photo was on the site, but maybe one was on the site and the other on the TV show?
The FreakyLinks website still exists! The links have changed but Haxan has the whole thing in their archives section

Here's their page on the pteranodon photo, it has the staged photo with the prop.
Old 27 December 2016, 08:11 AM

New Zealand <- Still not west of Australia.

The OP article by Amelia Tait has generated a lot of other articles on sites like Business Insider, Vox, Mashable, and many others. Unfortunately, most of these articles just rehash the OP article. However, the Mashable article had the following tweet from Sinbad, which made me laugh.

(Direct link).

I've really enjoyed the discussion here and I think snopesters are on the right track to where the mythical Shazaam! movie came from. The one that really intrigues me, though, is the Nelson Mandela dying in prison one. I wonder if they're thinking of Stephen Biko, who died in police custody in 1977? However, that date doesn't match the Mandela Effect early '80s date. On the other hand, there is the 1980 Peter Gabriel song and the 1987 movie Cry Freedom.

I also really like the New Zealand one although I think that's just from poor knowledge of geography.

Brian