snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 16 December 2016, 08:33 PM

Default Stick a fork in me

Since retiring as a full-time professor in 2014, I've been teaching part-time as an adjunct. I've decided to hang it up for good, though, for these reasons:
  1. It's a 70-mile round trip for me, twice a week. Next year, because of schedule rejiggering, it would be three times a week.
  2. Adjunct pay, judged by so much per credit hour taught, has not risen since 1999 in our institution.
  3. However, the mileage stipend of 15 cents per mile for each mile over fifty driven has been totally cut--for years. I never received it at all.
  4. I am sick and tired of students missing four weeks of class, including the final, and a week after the final asking me, "How can I make up the stuff I missed?"
  5. The school has just started making us fill out a multipage evaluation of essays by every student we teach. On it I have to quantify items like "The student shows a competency in explicating cultural diversity from different geographical and political backgrounds."
  6. The bookstore refuses to stock our textbooks unless we adjuncts order them six months in advance -
  7. - but the English Department won't assign us classes until a week before the term starts, so we have no idea what we will be teaching. I'm the hyper type that has to prepare in advance.
  8. I always get sick at the end of term.
Old 16 December 2016, 09:57 PM

Enjoy your retirement!

I'm still dealing with number 4 at the moment. I once had a student email me to ask, "Short of doing the missing work, is there any way I can get credit for this course?"

And number 5 sounds like a hellish nightmare.
Old 17 December 2016, 12:02 AM

It sucks that the system has chased away a professor, who, if you are at ALL like you are here, would be very good and interesting to deal with. I am glad for your sake that you can just say "screw this" and don't have to keep working to cover the bills, and I hope that you greatly enjoy your more complete retirement.
Old 17 December 2016, 12:18 AM

Baseball

Brad,

I admire you for being able to retire on your terms. I've always said that when the minuses outweigh the pluses, I'd retire from my chosen profession on my terms. It seems that point has happened to you. Congratulations on a long and distinguished academic career. May you move onto your next career with the dignity you carry with you today.

As for what to do when you retire, if you and Mrs from Georgia ever want to tour eastern Canada... I know a guy.
Old 17 December 2016, 12:33 AM

UEL-got room for us for the next four years?

Yeah, they got on my last nerve. My criterion: When I no longer am eager to get to school, it's time to quit. More time for writing now, too!
Old 17 December 2016, 12:35 AM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad from Georgia View Post
UEL-got room for us for the next four years?
Of course!

You bring the stories, I'll provide the fireplace.
Old 17 December 2016, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
Of course!

You bring the stories, I'll provide the fireplace.
To me, anyways, that reads rather differently than what I'm 99% sure the intention was.
Old 20 December 2016, 03:56 PM

Icon05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellestar View Post
Enjoy your retirement!

I once had a student email me to ask, "Short of doing the missing work, is there any way I can get credit for this course?"

How on earth can anyone think that he can get a credit/passing grade if he does not do the missing work?? You didn't assign it for laughs and giggles I'm sure.