snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 14 December 2016, 05:26 PM

Bang Head Would it kill you, History Channel?

to do some NFBSKING research? Over the years, DH and I have caught more mistakes in your 'documentaries' than we can even count. If you're putting yourself out there as a 'history' channel than the least you can do is study history. Whatta concept!
Your latest blooper was a doozy, namely that West VA was a Union state. Stupid, West Virginia did not even exist when the Civil War started! It seceded from Virginia--a Confederate state, in case you did not know--in/around 1863, thus becoming the first and so far only state to become a state during wartime. Yes, WV was a Union state at the end of the war, but not at the beginning.
And no, the US did not enter World War 1 because of the Lusitania sinking--if that was the case, why did we wait until 19-freaking-17 when the ship was destroyed in 1915???? Riddle me that! Why DH still watches you is beyond me; I guess he likes getting mad.
Of course when 90% of your shows consist of ancient space aliens driving semi trucks in Alaska and Canada, your actual history will be a bit off. Still...STOP IT!!!
Old 14 December 2016, 06:15 PM

AIUI the sinking of the Lusitania turned US public opinion strongly against Germany. Without that, it might have been harder for the US to intervene. But no, it wasn't the cause of the intervention.

For some reason, this conversation reminds me of a scene from an old episode of Doc Martin. He was testing an older woman for signs of dementia, and asked her when WWII started. She answered "28 June, 1919," which led to some concern until she explained that that was the date the Versailles Treaty was signed, and gave a cogent explanation of how the treaty's terms made WWII inevitable, in her opinion.
Old 14 December 2016, 06:52 PM

Baseball

Is it more a case of the history being generalised sooooo much that errors are being introduced (eg, that the assassination of Arch Duke Franz Ferdinand was the reason for WWI) or is it a case of someone not understanding and not doing the work to clarify (eg, the producer's geocities research found an interesting article on how the US single handedly defeated the Germans in WWI, USA all the way)?

Or worse, is it a case of someone revising history to make a point?

For the record, both the above examples are ones I've come across online about WWI. Neither of them are true. The assassination may have been a spark, but there was much more background conflict going on. And while the US war effort was far from minimal, it was timed perfectly to counter the French mutinies and the Russian withdrawal from the war. There was no one country who could lay claim to victory during that war (although several have tried).
Old 14 December 2016, 07:05 PM

Generalization and oversimplification, I think. Some people don't want to hear about nuance and complexity.
Old 14 December 2016, 09:01 PM

Wait, there are people who still expect real history to be shown on the History Channel? The channel that gave us Ancient Aliens?
Old 14 December 2016, 11:25 PM

Used to be one of my favorite channels. No longer.
Old 14 December 2016, 11:29 PM

You mean History Channel still shows historical documentaries? I thought it was all Pawn Stars, American Pickers, and other reality shows now.
Old 14 December 2016, 11:45 PM

Like the Discovery Channel, the History Channel moved all of its actual documentary programming to higher-tier cable channels. More money there, naturally.

So that leaves the much cheaper basic cable channels showing drek like Toddlers and Tiaras and Ancient Aliens.
Old 15 December 2016, 12:30 AM

As long as the History Channel keeps making Vikings, I'm happy.
Old 15 December 2016, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
You mean History Channel still shows historical documentaries? I thought it was all Pawn Stars, American Pickers, and other reality shows now.
I love American Pickers.
Old 15 December 2016, 12:38 PM

I can still remember when A&E actually meant arts and entertainment and it was a channel I watched. It seems the channel name doesn't have a whole lot to do with the content anymore.
Old 17 December 2016, 02:08 AM

The History Channel was on in the breakroom at work one day. I don't know what the program was, but when I passed by, they were interviewing Erich von Daniken. Now *that* was a blast from the past....
Old 18 December 2016, 02:06 AM

On Gravity Falls, the Pines family occasionally watches ghost hunting programs on UTBAHC. Used to be about history channel, that is. For a time there my son called the channel "HitlerVision."
Old 18 December 2016, 02:39 AM

I just watched an episode of 'Secrets of Bible' about the Stone of Jacob. They lead by suggesting they have proof that the Stone of Scone is actually the Stone of Jacob, something I was pretty sure has already been disproven.

The story was suspect when the principle investigator talked about how he visited the Stone in the Coronation chair at West Minster Abbey since it hasn't been there for 20 years.

45 minutes in they say that that stone almost certainly came from nearby Scone Abbey and the 'investigator' leaps to suggest that the original stone was probably damaged and either repaired or replaced with local stone.

If it had been repaired, I think that would be rather obvious, if it had been replaced...Then It's not the Friggin Stone of Jacob!
Old 18 December 2016, 04:02 AM

I vaguely recall one show where they were talking about stuff from the Exodus from Egypt as if it were an actual event and not one that's been thoroughly debunked.
Old 18 December 2016, 10:01 AM

Whalephant

Was this the channel that showed some show called "Secrets of the National Parks" or something like that and claimed in one episode that the Nazis had not only hidden a ton of gold at Glacier but that some had become park rangers there?
Old 18 December 2016, 03:29 PM

Yes, that's the channel.
Old 20 December 2016, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitap View Post
Was this the channel that showed some show called "Secrets of the National Parks" or something like that and claimed in one episode that the Nazis had not only hidden a ton of gold at Glacier but that some had become park rangers there?
I guess Argentina doesn't have any national parks.