snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Closed Thread

Old 09 December 2016, 03:03 PM

My wife is into presents, and really can't get that I am not, and I don't feel slighted when she doesn't get me much. I am the one who pays the bills, and this year was tough since we had to pay for the funeral of her brother (and her other siblings have all forgotten that they were going to pay part of it.) SO, I tell her that some cookies would be great, or just a stocking, please don't get me anything else, give gifts to the kids instead, and she feels like I am being false or something. No, I really don't want more added to the bills I have to pay.
Old 09 December 2016, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post

My sister prefers consumable presents. I usually do her stocking (because officially, we no longer do presents), and I give her things like lip gloss, soap, socks & chocolate.

Seaboe
I no longer exchange gifts with my sisters but my sisters and I still give gifts to our parents. My mother is a dream to shop for, she has hobbies and interests and she will tell you what she wants without prompting . My father on the other hand, not so much and there are only so many bottles of Old Spice their bathroom cupboard can hold!
Old 09 December 2016, 03:35 PM

Like dfresh I'd rather not have a few more bills to pay.

We are at a point in our lives where we buy what we need (or want). If I have not already bought it for myself it's because it is too expensive, so no, I don't want it as a gift (unless you can get someone else to pay for it).

You want to give me something I really want? Then give me time. I have a long list of places to go and see.

I don't need more stuff. I need more time. My son gets it and when he lived nearby would take my wife shopping (one thing he did not get from me is his love of shopping) on my birthday or Father's Day so I could have time to do what I love. Taking pictures.

Don't get me wrong. I love for them to come with me, but my photo safaris can get pretty boring. Patience is the photographer's greatest asset. Having someone along for the ride can cause me to hurry so they are not bored.
Old 09 December 2016, 04:29 PM

Icon13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
I pretty much have stopped gift giving to most people. I don't understand insisting on exchanging gifts when all it does is cause stress and usually leads to accumulation of stuff people don't want or need.
My brother, nephew and myself agreed to stop the gift giving years ago, and trust me, we love it! We figured that if we want something, we can go get it ourselves.

ETA: My gift to my supervisor when her daughter was born back in September was free dog sitting. I figured that it was better than (yet) another blanket, clothes set, toy, etc. I also take her dogs to dog park every now and then.

Last edited by DawnStorm; 09 December 2016 at 04:36 PM.
Old 09 December 2016, 04:37 PM

I SHTT the P in the rental office how much my rent is every time I pay in person.
Old 09 December 2016, 04:39 PM

Frying Pan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
I SHTT the P in the rental office how much my rent is every time I pay in person.
Troublemaker!
Old 09 December 2016, 04:41 PM

Quote:
I pretty much have stopped gift giving to most people. I don't understand insisting on exchanging gifts when all it does is cause stress and usually leads to accumulation of stuff people don't want or need.
And, some of the stress can come from the fact that people can come from varying financial circumstances.

If Aunt A gives something to Aunt B that's worth x, Aunt B might be uncomfortable if she only gave something to Aunt A worth y (because that was all she could afford). Even if Aunt A understands the situation.

Long ago my extended family cut out the exchanging gifts to everyone and adopted a "Yankee swap" where you'd pick one person's name and give to that person.

And my mother led the way in cutting out the Christmas cards many years ago. She just announced that she wasn't going to send them and requested that she not be sent them.

Thanks.

Bill
Old 09 December 2016, 04:44 PM

Quote:
They'd notice if you tell them it is right around $5, right?
Old 09 December 2016, 04:47 PM

Yeah, probably.

They just put a note on my door saying that I'm $0.23 short and they want it by 12/15. That's what happens when you make me guess my rent -- sometimes I'm off by a few cents. And yes, I could theoretically look it up online, except that I haven't been able to get logged in since I moved.
Old 09 December 2016, 04:50 PM

Isn't your rent the same amount each month?
Old 09 December 2016, 04:53 PM

Shifty Eyes

Quote:
Yeah, probably.

They just put a note on my door saying that I'm $0.23 short and they want it by 12/15.

Or some big guy who can open beer bottles with his teeth will show up at your door with a baseball bat?
Old 09 December 2016, 04:59 PM

I have the opposite problem, one of my housemates can't be bothered paying an exact third because typing .33 is apparently too much effort so he just rounds it up to the nearest dollar. Because of that we usually overpay our rent by a tiny amount each month which can add up to several dollars over the course of a year. Of course that's not actually a problem to anyone involved in this whole process but I like things to be neat, dammit.

Every now and then someone will forget to pay rent on time and we'll get a text message from the estate agent saying "$XX.XXc is overdue!" and that's how I find out the exact amount we've overpaid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
Or some big guy who can open beer bottles with his teeth will show up at your door with a baseball bat?
... or they'll simply levy a fine.
Old 09 December 2016, 05:08 PM

Quote:
November has 30 days, December has 31.
Old 09 December 2016, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Yes. TYSTT Lainie: write the damn number down if you can't remember it.

My point stands: the people in the office should not be asking what my rent is. They should be looking it up. And the damn website should work.

ETA: Also, if it's not clear, rent for the same size unit may vary depending on a number of factors (pet ownership, whether you rent a garage/carport or not, what deal you cut before you moved in, etc.).
Old 09 December 2016, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
November has 30 days, December has 31.
My rent is exactly the same every calendar month, regardless of how many days are in the month.

Edit: and the only way I can remember it is by looking up how much I paid last month.
I eventually made it a "Favourite transaction" in my online banking account which simplifies matters a whole lot.
Old 09 December 2016, 05:15 PM

The only way it varies from month to month is if you move mid-month and that month is pro-rated.
Old 09 December 2016, 05:47 PM

Quote:
I SHTT the P ...
I just can't stop laughing at this - I have the mind of an 8 year old today.
Old 09 December 2016, 06:44 PM

Oh, good, it's not just me then.
Old 09 December 2016, 06:50 PM

Yeah, I was like "You what the what???" Damn, I know times are tough and rent is high, but wow.
Old 09 December 2016, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Yeah, probably.

They just put a note on my door saying that I'm $0.23 short and they want it by 12/15. That's what happens when you make me guess my rent -- sometimes I'm off by a few cents. And yes, I could theoretically look it up online, except that I haven't been able to get logged in since I moved.
When I was renting I never had a rent payment that wasn't a nice, round, easy to remember number, like $900 per month or whatever. I'm curious how you arrived at a rent payment that has a cents component to it. Is there a pet fee or something that's calculated as a percentage of the rent rather than a flat fee?
Closed Thread