snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Closed Thread

Old 05 September 2016, 08:59 PM

About a month ago I was feeling really awful and took it out on a wall. The outer/pinky side of my right fist took most of the impact and that side of the hand was tender and bruised for days. The PIP joint still seems to be healing. If something presses it from certain angles it still is sore. I'm pretty sure it wasn't broken, but I really must have brought it pretty close.
Old 06 September 2016, 03:14 AM

While cleaning my new house I discovered that at some point in the past, someone's idea of "painting" was to load up a spray gun with the cheapest low-quality paint they could find, then blast the walls and the closets without cleaning or priming, and without removing any shelves, or taping off the door frames, or removing the faceplates.

I was wondering what all that gummy, tacky stuff was on the Closetmaid shelves. It's old latex paint. And it takes a lot of scrubbing to get it off all the wires.
Old 06 September 2016, 05:57 AM

Icon402

LTTAM: being shot in the face by terrorists. Islamic State have issued a list of targets in Australia after the death in Syria of convicted Australian terrorist Ezzit Raad and my suburb was first on the list.

So if I suddenly stop posting you'll know what happened to me.
Old 06 September 2016, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
Islamic State have issued a list of targets in Australia after the death in Syria of convicted Australian terrorist Ezzit Raad and my suburb was first on the list.
I wish they'd publicize these things in the form of: Daesh, being unable to attack Australia in retaliation, issued a plea for random weirdos to do it for them.

Unfortunately, some random weirdo may take them up on it. But publicizing this sort of thing as an example of Daesh's strength, rather than their weakness, plays into their hands.

-- note I'm not saying that Gutter Monkey did that! But I wish the general press would take that attitude.
Old 06 September 2016, 08:15 PM

Driver

My normal route home from work involves a left turn onto a road right in front of an elementary school. I forgot today was the first day of classes, and the early dismissal coincided with my commute home. I could have turned down a side street, but didn't realize the conflict until it was too late.
Old 07 September 2016, 12:44 AM

While unpacking after returning from my trip I discovered that half of the shampoo bottles I'd brought home from the hotels I'd stayed at had come open and were empty or nearly empty. I'd put them in a plastic bag so the shampoo didn't get on anything else, but now instead of having a collection of mini shampoo bottles that will be useful on future trips I have a Ziploc bag full of shampoo.
Old 07 September 2016, 01:07 AM

Half of my town is under a boil older. It is annoying but I am glad they didn't let it slide. The occasional reminder of the value of fresh water is good. My kid's science class today was about how water is purified and sent to homes.
Old 07 September 2016, 03:43 AM

I know it was just a typo/autocorrect but

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aud 1 View Post
Half of my town is under a boil older.
this paints so many different pictures, all varying degrees of amusing/gross.

WB- that's so annoying! Did heat cause them to pop open or something? How bizarre.
Old 07 September 2016, 03:59 AM

The weird thing is that all the bottles that came open had screw on caps, and they had come partially unscrewed, enough to allow the shampoo to leak out. I'm guessing the culprit was the air pressure differential on the plane.
Old 07 September 2016, 04:59 AM

Whoops. Posted in the wrong place.
Old 07 September 2016, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
The weird thing is that all the bottles that came open had screw on caps, and they had come partially unscrewed, enough to allow the shampoo to leak out. I'm guessing the culprit was the air pressure differential on the plane.
I wonder if it might be more an issue with vibration? As the contents shake during transit, the caps rub against other items in the suitcase(?) and only have to turn a slight amount to leak. Normally the baggage areas are pressurized, just like the passenger cabin.
Old 07 September 2016, 10:32 AM

IME, for whatever reason - hotels don't really want people reusing them or perhaps they just aren't built for that - those little bottles invariably leak a lot no matter how tightly one thinks they've been closed.
Old 07 September 2016, 01:38 PM

When I flew back from Seattle in June, I had shampoo and conditioner in two of those reusable bottles you buy at the store -- same thing happened.
Old 07 September 2016, 02:32 PM

My sister and BIL just got back from a trip with a baggy full of shaving cream, maybe from the cold? The baggage compartment is pressurized, but not heated nearly as much as the passenger cabin.
Old 07 September 2016, 04:27 PM

People who quit without notice before a holiday weekend. Also: young pretty healthy people who think they will get permanent disability. I think they may be surprised. Same person, well under 30, doesn't like to work, and not at all shy about talking about her mefical issue.
Old 07 September 2016, 04:31 PM

The baggage holds are pressurized, but the pressure is reduced during the flight. IMS, it reduced to the equivalent of 8,000 for older aircraft and 5,000 feet for newer aircraft. So while baggage never experiences the very low pressure of 35,000 feet, there is some decrease in pressure.

ETA: The ease in which hotel shampoo bottles open may be a deliberate choice. If you are like me, you don't open them until you are already in the shower. Bottles where the caps don't fit tightly are much easier to open with wet and/or soapy hands.
Old 08 September 2016, 08:19 PM

I have a valid subscription for Office 365, and a valid license for Visio Pro 2016. I can't install them on the same PC because Office is "click to install" and Visio is on a disk.

I even tried to purchase a subscription for Visio 365, but you can only get the Pro version, and you can only add it to a business account.
Old 09 September 2016, 04:39 PM

Psychic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf333 View Post
I have a valid subscription for Office 365, and a valid license for Visio Pro 2016. I can't install them on the same PC because Office is "click to install" and Visio is on a disk.

I even tried to purchase a subscription for Visio 365, but you can only get the Pro version, and you can only add it to a business account.
It seems you are not the only one with the problem.

Unable to install Visio Pro 2016 Open License with Office 365 ProPlus

Short answer: Contact Customer Service and see if they can supply a "click to install" source that will work with your Visio license.
Old 09 September 2016, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanz View Post
People who quit without notice before a holiday weekend. Also: young pretty healthy people who think they will get permanent disability. I think they may be surprised. Same person, well under 30, doesn't like to work, and not at all shy about talking about her mefical issue.
I worked with someone like that years ago. We used to joke that she had a doctor for every part of her body. Well is it joking if it's more true than not? Anyway I swear a day rarely went by that she did not have a medical appointment of one kind or another. Fast forward a couple of years and she is trying to get permanent disability, I forget which issue. It was denied and she went back to work outside the library as a ski instructor .
Old 11 September 2016, 01:17 PM

Icon95

Urgh, I somehow wrenched my neck in my sleep. I'm a danger to myself even when I'm not conscious.
Closed Thread