snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Closed Thread

Old 01 September 2016, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravo View Post
I mean, when kids are learning about words that rhyme, they sometimes get around to words that adults know are curse words, and we as adults stop them from hollering them all over the place because even though the word has no inherent cruel meaning to the child, it still has meaning to others.
My son spent last summer doing that, resulting in him calling my mother by shouting "Granny! GRANNY FANNY!", and fanny is a ruder word here than in the US...
Old 01 September 2016, 12:36 PM

I keep hearing things.

Not in a scary 'KILL THEM ALL' kind of way, just distorted music and people calling my name.

The name thing has happened 3 times in the past two weeks. One time it woke me up and I answered 'what?!', slightly grumpy at being rudely awoken, only to realise there was nobody in the house.

The music things bugs me because it often sounds like I've left my MP3 player (yes, I'm outdated) on and can hear the tinny music. But when I look the player is off and the 'music' has stopped. Once it sounded like a tin whistle. My sister plays the whistle but not at 3 in the morning!

Looking it up, it's seems suspiciously like Musical Ear Syndrome - except that I don't suffer from hearing loss.

Maybe this should have gone into The Doctor Is In but I didn't want to start a new thread for it. Besides, it more annoys me than worries me.
Old 01 September 2016, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blatherskite View Post
Looking it up, it's seems suspiciously like Musical Ear Syndrome - except that I don't suffer from hearing loss.
It could also be EHS!!!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exploding_head_syndrome

... but it's more likely to be just a regular ol' hypnagogic/hypnopompic auditory hallucination
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypnagogia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypnopompic
"People may imagine their own name called, crumpling bags, white noise, or a doorbell ringing. Snatches of imagined speech are common."
Old 01 September 2016, 01:20 PM

I've heard bangs and doorbells when drifting off to sleep. A lot of other noises I hear at night can be attributed to a certain small gray fluffy thing having a case of the crazy kitties.
Old 01 September 2016, 02:42 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
... but it's more likely to be just a regular ol' hypnagogic/hypnopompic auditory hallucination
Since I know from previous discussions that I apparently have this, I have come to the conclusion that when I woke up hearing an alarm go off saying "fire, fire", it was a hallucination--even though I woke up, checked the carbon monoxide alarm and made it upstairs to check the smoke detectors before I stopped hearing it. There was no fire, no sign of a fire and no smell of burning whatsoever.

LTTAM: People who call and then hang up, but not fast enough to stop the answering machine from registering a message.

Seaboe
Old 01 September 2016, 06:06 PM

People who email me to ask me to call them because they have a question, which they are apparently incapable of asking via email.
Old 01 September 2016, 06:50 PM

I suffer from severe hypnagogia, especially when stressed. The doorbell things happens to me maybe a couple times a month.

I went through a period where I thought I was hearing music. It ended when I found a radio turned on, very softly, in the basement.
Old 01 September 2016, 11:23 PM

"Twist-off" caps that won't.
Old 02 September 2016, 12:57 PM

Icon104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
I went through a period where I thought I was hearing music. It ended when I found a radio turned on, very softly, in the basement.
Which brings me to another little thing that annoys me: People who don't turn the radio off, just way, way down (or, conversely, are just turning it down so they can hear something else going on, but turn it down to that same near-subliminal level). This is particularly annoying in cars. The little voices and tunes sound like you're just imagining them, and I can't understand why the people who do this aren't driven mad.
Old 02 September 2016, 02:01 PM

Mrs. Temple does that, but it annoys me for a different reason. She turns it all the way down if she's on the phone or at a drive-thru window. Then I have to guess how high I need it when she's done.
Old 02 September 2016, 02:02 PM

That reminds me of another LTTAM. A family member was one time told by a mechanic that it damaged the car if you did not both have the radio volume turned down all the way and turned off. When I have to use that car, I'll turn on the radio but hear nothing, as the volume is down. I use that car rarely enough that I will usually assume I just did not get it turned on somehow, or double-hit the on-off, so I'll hit it again until I remember the problem and get it sorted out.
Old 02 September 2016, 02:34 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Temple View Post
Mrs. Temple turns it all the way down if she's on the phone or at a drive-thru window. Then I have to guess how high I need it when she's done.
My car radio has a mute button. Since I always keep the volume as low as I reasonably can when I'm listening to it, the mute button is very effective when going through a drive-thru. However, since it's a relative mute (e.g., if the radio's on 4, mute will be 2), it doesn't work as well at the higher volumes.

LTTAM: sleeping through my alarm.

Seaboe
Old 02 September 2016, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Turtle Named Mack View Post
A family member was one time told by a mechanic that it damaged the car if you did not both have the radio volume turned down all the way and turned off.
Damaged the car? That's kind of like saying if you shave before showering instead of the other way around it will damage your plumbing.
Old 02 September 2016, 07:12 PM

I ordered a pina colada but the waitress brought me a virgin colada instead. And it took over 30 minutes to get our drinks and we had to meet for dinner at seven so there wasn't time to correct it before we had to leave.
Old 04 September 2016, 02:40 PM

If my husband and I ever divorce it will be because of his annoying habit of coming into a room, changing the channels, choosing something he wants to watch and then leaving the room .
Old 04 September 2016, 08:20 PM

It's the TV version of ding-dong-ditch!!
Old 05 September 2016, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
If my husband and I ever divorce it will be because of his annoying habit of coming into a room, changing the channels, choosing something he wants to watch and then leaving the room .
One of my father's ways of annoying my mother was to watch a prime time football game on TV and then go to bed before it was over. My mother would say that it couldn't have been that important to him if he didn't care about the final outcome.

Thanks.

Bill
Old 05 September 2016, 01:51 PM

Apparently he enjoyed the game of football for itself. He almost certainly was not a gambler on football games, which I would consider to be a good thing.
Old 05 September 2016, 03:22 PM

My husband's done the same thing before on nights where our hockey teams are playing in different games at the same time. I cheer for my home team, so I'd usually give him the TV when his team was playing since he didn't get to see them as often, but sometimes he'd fall asleep halfway through and I'd wonder how long I had to wait to be polite before switching over to my game. luckily we both like each other's teams too, so it's not bad to switch between both.
Old 05 September 2016, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Turtle Named Mack View Post
Apparently he enjoyed the game of football for itself. He almost certainly was not a gambler on football games, which I would consider to be a good thing.
Now that you mention it, you're right; he appreciated "a good game" and he said that once to my mother when she was displeased with him watching it.

He certainly didn't bet on games.

And he really didn't care who won, unless one of the two teams was from Texas.

Thanks.

Bill
Closed Thread