snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Closed Thread

Old 30 August 2016, 06:28 PM

Default Little things that annoy you

Continued from http://message.snopes.com/showthread...=93830&page=51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blatherskite View Post
But yeah, mainly, there is no controversy about white face paint because white face paint does not have a history of being used to mock a race. Context matters a lot.
The difficulty with context, is that not everyone is aware of the context and the "rules" that may exist around that context.

I'm middle aged and pretty widely read and traveled, yet I had no idea that colouring your face to appear like another race was considered a wrong thing to do until I read it on snopes. I was aware of black face, with the exaggerated features, but never would have considered that the same as respectfully colouring one's face. My kids don't have the slightest clue about blackface (racism is a topic of discussion with them, but there are much more immediate and up to date issues to discuss, than blackface). I strongly suspect that if I suggested one of them was to do a project on Martin Luther King, they would consider colouring their face as part of the presentation, with aboslutely no malice, or racism being involved in their thought process.

Knowing it would offend people, it's not something I would do (or let my kids do), but it's not something a would "logically" figure out would have that offence.

I think people that are heavily involved in many causes (as important as they may be) loose sight that not everyone has the context they do.
Old 30 August 2016, 10:43 PM

FO4, I think there are a lot of people who have that same understanding, because it doesn't seem inherently mean-spirited. But once one learns that it is hurtful, it's the appropriate thing to stop. I wouldn't necessarily assume a kid who colored their skin for a performance was racist (or that their parents were), but it would raise my concern. But I agree that many well-meaning people lack that context.

I mean, when kids are learning about words that rhyme, they sometimes get around to words that adults know are curse words, and we as adults stop them from hollering them all over the place because even though the word has no inherent cruel meaning to the child, it still has meaning to others. Maybe someday blackface or just the idea of painting one's skin to resemble the tone of someone else won't be offensive anymore, but I am okay with the fact that this likely won't happen within my life time, and it doesn't matter enough to me to insist that it's not a big deal anymore and that me/my children should be able to do it.

(Not that you, F04, or anyone else here was suggesting it- just something I've seen people say in comments on articles and such).

LTTAM: I don't have the motivation to tidy up, even though I know that an organized space will make me feel better. Considering throwing some of the clutter into a box and moving it out of my room just to get a reprieve until I have the energy to actually deal with it...
Old 31 August 2016, 12:49 AM

I hear you, mbravo. When I was still living with my mom, sometimes I would put everything in a big plastic garbage bag so I could deal with one item at a time.
Old 31 August 2016, 06:17 AM

Google Maps has changed their layout to eliminate outlines on the smaller streets. This looks horrible to me.
Old 31 August 2016, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittykins View Post
I hear you, mbravo. When I was still living with my mom, sometimes I would put everything in a big plastic garbage bag so I could deal with one item at a time.
The problem being that it is so easy to have 'out of sight, out of mind' take over. It is important to pick up a little bit to sort/dispose of every day, or even several times a day. Otherwise you'll end up with a bunch of bags that you'll get to 'later.'
Old 31 August 2016, 01:17 PM

Or, the bag/box method might work just fine for mbravo and smittykins. People being individuals and all. :-)
Old 31 August 2016, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Turtle Named Mack View Post
The problem being that it is so easy to have 'out of sight, out of mind' take over. It is important to pick up a little bit to sort/dispose of every day, or even several times a day. Otherwise you'll end up with a bunch of bags that you'll get to 'later.'
I think clear bags in plain sight might encourage people to do things sooner rather than later but I absolutely agree that most of the time the minute something is stashed away in a box or bag (or in my case plastic stackable tubs) it gets very easy to ignore. Fast forward to the day you put your house up for sale and you've not only got to sift through the clutter you didn't sock away but now you get to go through your assorted containers too. Unless you decide to just move them to the next house of course. Um, not that I did that last time we moved .

ETA: Just to piggyback a little thing that annoys me onto this topic - people are not hoarders when they keep too much personal stuff (too much being in the eye of the beholder of course). It's not hard to find TV shows or whatever that feature what real hoarding looks like. Someone with a clutter of books, collectibles and clothes that they're sure by god will fit one day!! are not necessarily hoarders. Far from it you might say.

Last edited by Sue; 31 August 2016 at 01:46 PM.
Old 31 August 2016, 01:50 PM

Sometimes the "forgotten bag of stuff to be sorted" ends up working itself out after all, and I come across it years later realizing "I no longer have the sentiment that makes me feel I need to keep any of this" and can un-burden myself all in one go

edit: I veered away from my original subject (and just now deleted a good chunk of my post); the stuff I'm concerned about right now is just regular day-to-day accumulation clutter, not old-sentimental-stuff-I'm-putting-off clutter. It's paperwork I'm going to need to refer to sooner rather than later, so I'm not too concerned about this lying forgotten.

Last edited by mbravo; 31 August 2016 at 02:06 PM. Reason: talking myself in circles, bleh
Old 31 August 2016, 05:05 PM

I'm signing a contract, and so far I've written the date as 2013 three times. I'm wasting printer paper because my brain wants the date to be symmetrical.
Old 31 August 2016, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravo View Post
Sometimes the "forgotten bag of stuff to be sorted" ends up working itself out after all, and I come across it years later realizing "I no longer have the sentiment that makes me feel I need to keep any of this" and can un-burden myself all in one go
Yes, the box/bag of stuff that after it's tucked away for a year or so, you realize that you haven't wondered about it, looked for it, or needed it.
Old 31 August 2016, 05:30 PM

I'm in the process of going through my house, starting with my books. My issue is that I don't own much that doesn't have a 'story' or something sentimental about it. With books, I'm working with a set of rules that I created for the project.

One LTTAM, the title of this thread. Is Con't supposed to be short for Continued? Because apostrophes don't work that way.
Old 31 August 2016, 05:35 PM

Maybe it is short for continuated.
Old 31 August 2016, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
One LTTAM, the title of this thread. Is Con't supposed to be short for Continued? Because apostrophes don't work that way.
As creator of the thread, you are quite right to be annoyed. I'm annoyed every time I look at it. I'd love to provide a nice explanation of why I chose to shorten "continued" that way, but I really have no idea why I did it.

If there's a way to get one of the all powerful administrators to change it, I'd be happy to follow up, so we are both less annoyed.
Old 31 August 2016, 08:32 PM

I believe the proper abbreviation for continued is either cont'd or cont. Too lazy to look it up.
Old 31 August 2016, 08:49 PM

See, my brain is shuffling around the words so I keep reading it as 'little things you can't annoy'.
Old 31 August 2016, 10:34 PM

I was trying to read some serious news on the BBC when I was distracted by a sidebar headline, Stuntman rides unicycle on massive chimney, and immediately had to click on it. This annoys me because it's the most absurd and trivial clickbait, but for some reason I have such a short attention span that I couldn't resist. Don't watch the video if you suffer from vertigo, or if you would rather go off and do something more serious.
Old 31 August 2016, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatherOf4 View Post
As creator of the thread, you are quite right to be annoyed. I'm annoyed every time I look at it. I'd love to provide a nice explanation of why I chose to shorten "continued" that way, but I really have no idea why I did it.

If there's a way to get one of the all powerful administrators to change it, I'd be happy to follow up, so we are both less annoyed.
Do not = don't
Coo not = con't

No babytalk in this thread!!
Old 31 August 2016, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
I'm glad I'm not the only one annoyed by it.
Old 31 August 2016, 11:36 PM

I don't think we even need to know it is "con't" or continued or whatever; this is probably the 20th LTTAY thread.

So I'm annoyed by the inconsistency with prior patterns, because stuff like that does bother me. (Also I'm reading it as "Little things that can't annoy you" on occasion.)
Old 01 September 2016, 01:00 AM

Tantrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravo View Post
FO4,

LTTAM: I don't have the motivation to tidy up, even though I know that an organized space will make me feel better. Considering throwing some of the clutter into a box and moving it out of my room just to get a reprieve until I have the energy to actually deal with it...
Welcome to my world. My front yard is an overgrown mess and I simply do not have the energy to clear it all out, nor do I have a whole lot of money to hire someone to do it.
Closed Thread