snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 29 June 2016, 11:41 AM

I'm not playing anything right now, but I just realized this week that a board game cafe has opened up downtown and I'm told they have a huge range of games. I can't wait to go there and try it out.
Old 29 June 2016, 02:03 PM

Starting off with my group's non-RPG games.

Our current favorite board game right now is Pandemic, pretty much because it's not only fun and exciting, but it's one of those rare cooperative games. It is, of course, excellent when we win a game - which is generally pretty difficult - but even a lost game is enjoyable. Several times we were on the cusp of "winning", when we realized that, no, we were one step short of winning. And then our desperate scrambling to see if we could somehow skirt the inevitable.

The guy who has Pandemic did discuss Pandemic Legacy, but the way our group dynamic works, it would be difficult to play it at best, so we've (reluctantly) passed on it. For now. We are thinking of getting one or more of the expansion sets. However, given how many games we have in rotation, that may never come to pass.
Old 30 June 2016, 03:28 PM

One game that is likely to enter our regular rotation is Race for the Galaxy, which is a card game. The learning curve is a bit steep, but it provides multiple paths towards winning, so a slow learner like myself can be a serious contender using the easiest paths (like military might), while the devious players can use the more difficult paths like production and trade to win.

As with most games that use actual strategy, I'm not terribly good at it, but it is loads of fun. I won the very first game because I got a lot of military cards and no one else really knew what they were doing; I haven't won a game since. Still, very enjoyable.
Old 30 June 2016, 04:42 PM

Race for the Galaxy is a fun game (and works decently as a two player game, as well). The Rebel vs. Imperium and Gathering Storm expansions are good as well, and I would recommend getting them. I haven't tried the later expansions, and it seems like it could pretty quickly become too much in the way of expansions.

Speaking of which, and for the cooperative gaming fans, there is Arkham Horror and the expansions. Really fun game, trying to prevent one of the Elder Gods from breaking through and destroying the world. You can play alone or in a group, and it is everyone together against the game mechanics. (It's a good idea to have one person really, [i]really[/] understand the rules and track all of the mechanics.) There are also a lot of expansions, and most of them are pretty fun. But if you keep adding expansions, the game becomes unworkable. There just become too many cards for any given expansion to actually have the intended effect, so you get stuff that you can't use, or things happen that you have a minuscule chance of ever being able to resolve. The Yellow King expansion was the one I really noticed this on, but it became clear it was just too many expansions. So we had to dig through and break the expansions apart so we could just use one or two at a time.

And that leads me to Elder Sign, which we play a lot more than Arkham at this point. It is basically a fast moving version of Arkham Horror - same company, same goals, but no big boards to move around on. You can play a game of Elder sign in half or less the time of Arkham Horror, anywhere from 1-2 hours. Arkham can easily run 4 hours, especially if anyone is a relative newbie.
Old 19 May 2017, 12:54 AM

Busy + forgetful = 10 months of not keeping up.

The guy in my gaming group who has Smash-Up just got the most recent expansions (the Cease & Desist pack, which includes Star Roamers, Astro Knights, Changerbots, and Ignobles; and the WHAT WERE WE THINKING? pack, which includes Teddy Bears, Grandmas, Rock Stars, and Explorers), and we played a few rounds the other night.

I have to say, Smash-Up is a lot of fun. Kind of like Race for the Galaxy, in that the right combination of packs can put a weak player on as strong a footing as a strong player, plus it's generally hilarious. Alas, our gaming group has been meeting less frequently, thanks to various personal/family issues, so the idea of "regular rotation" is starting to go out the window, but this game has more or less become part of it; we have a blast playing it.

We have, however, set the house rule of "no Cthulhu pack"; it is hyper-abusive. You have to be in a "I enjoyed playing the old Call of Cthulhu RPG" frame of mind to, ah, "enjoy" having these cards thrown into the mix.
Old 19 May 2017, 01:11 PM

Tabletop games? Breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and modesty aside, I rule.
Old 19 May 2017, 01:47 PM

I've been playing Star Wars Destiny, which is a collectible card and dice game. It's fun, but I doubt if I will play much more. The base set comes with 20 cards, but a standard deck would have 30. So to play beyond the base set, you have to buy booster packs. My wife and I are playing, and we each had a base set. We have bought ten booster packs, and we can make one full deck, but not two without buying more. That, to me, is a pretty horrible way to sell a game, and I know that there are better cards out there, so if I play someone else they could just have a better deck because they have spent more.
Old 19 May 2017, 03:05 PM

This is your first experience in the Collectible Card Game market, DC?
Old 19 May 2017, 03:14 PM

I've played one other one that was a gift, and didn't like it enough to ever get any more cards, so effectively yes.
Old 19 May 2017, 03:36 PM

Yeah, they get expensive fast. I used to play a few back in the 00's and quit when I realized how much I was spending just to be competitive whenever the new set came around.

These days I stick to non-collectable games, since then I can just buy the minis I want instead of having to shell out for a bunch of booster and hoping that one of them will include something useful.
Old 24 May 2017, 06:49 PM

I trying to decide whether I want to do a work around for the expense of Destiny. I have card sleeves, access to the internet, and a printer. Seems like I can just print off a bunch of cards, put them in sleeves, and use them. I also have more than enough regular dice to be stand-ins.
I wouldn't normally do so, as I would consider it cheating the company, but I have a number of cards I can't use because I don't have the right character for them, and the cheapest type of character I can just buy to match that type is like $30. I'm not spending that on a card, and I don't really want to keep buying more and more packs hoping to get one. I just need to get over feeling bad about it, I guess.
Old 25 May 2017, 12:34 AM

Last month was a local tabletop gaming convention. I sponsored a couple "player's choice" Munchkin games (I brought several of my sets and everyone voted), Pandemic: The Cure (a dice-based version of Pandemic), and Betrayal at House on the Hill. I also played Dark Gothic: Colonial Horror (a deck-builder game), and a custom variant on Betrayal that one of the con organizers is working on, with all the haunts based on original-series episodes of Scooby Doo.

Most Sundays, a group of us gets together to play 5th edition Hero System. Exactly what we play depends on who's running -- we prefer a miniseries format to a campaign, because it keeps things fresh. We might play steampunk for a couple months, then when that storyline wraps up start an urban fantasy game. Right now, we're at the very tail end of a superhero scenario; as soon as we either defeat the main villain or lose to him the next GM will be running a space opera storyline.

Every other Friday, four of us get together to play Descent: Journeys in the Dark. We're using the Steam app to run the Overlord, because the guy who had been flipping cards for the Overlord wanted a chance to play.

We had been playing 5th edition D&D on alternate Saturdays, but that got put on hold because the co-GMs had some real-life issues pop up. We're trying to get that restarted this summer.

Since none of us have to work on Memorial Day, we're planning a board game day and dinner. I want to play Pandemic: Iberia, because I just got it for my birthday, but it only plays 5 and if everyone shows up we'll have more than that.
Old 25 May 2017, 09:37 PM

Australia

Playing X-wing with my son. Working through the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Mummy's Mask with a couple of friends on Wednesday nights and playing a wide assortment of games on the weekends - in the last two or three months we've gone through Caverna, Terraforming Mars, Castles of Burgundy, Terra Mystica, HMS Dolores, Islebound, Runebound, Vast, Concordia, Codenames, Escape from the Aliens in Outer Space, Captain Sonar, and a bunch of others.

Dropbear
Old 26 May 2017, 07:01 PM

I've been playing Flux games (I have two of them) and Gwent, but nothing else lately.
Old 26 May 2017, 07:15 PM

I am a Fluxx fanatic!

I have Fluxx and Cthulhu Fluxx, but would like to add Star Fluxx, Monty Python Fluxx, and maybe Zombie Fluxx to my collection.
Old 26 May 2017, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGeekyGirl View Post
I am a Fluxx fanatic!

I have Fluxx and Cthulhu Fluxx, but would like to add Star Fluxx, Monty Python Fluxx, and maybe Zombie Fluxx to my collection.
I've got Pirate and Monty Python! I've thought about mixing them up, then I'm like naaaah. Better not!
Old 26 May 2017, 08:05 PM

It could be The Crimson Permanent Assurance Fluxx!

I've thought about mixing decks. It shouldn't be a problem to separate the decks again afterwards since each deck has a specific font for the card title. I don't think I'd double up on duplicate rule or action cards, but other deck-specific cards could be fun to mix.

Edit: I'd like to get Pirate Fluxx, too! I'm all Fluxxed up!
Old 27 May 2017, 11:33 AM

We had a game night last night - one player out sick, the other working, so no D&D - and we started off with Splendor, a neat little cards-and-chips game that is sort of like checkers: looks simple, but has unexpected strategic depths.

Then we played Race to the Galaxy, twice, which I managed to win the second round (and only my third win in over a dozen play-throughs since we got it), and finished with Pandemic, which we won relatively handily, in part thanks to one of the plagues not being on the board for several turns, and a very decisive first strike on one of the other plagues. I think maybe getting two epidemics in the first five turns also helped, since they were very weak thanks to how the board was set up, and gave us breathing room later on.
Old 28 May 2017, 09:40 PM

Well... I did it... mixed Fluxx decks... some friends and I played Cthulhu/Monty Python Fluxx.

It was very strange, and took a long, long time to play. There are so many cards that it's almost exponentially harder to meet the terms of a given goal. The game eventually only ended because of a Cthulhu Fluxx Un-Goal. (In short, all players lost because the Great Old Ones won.)
Old 12 June 2017, 11:35 PM

This past Friday was game night again - our DM called out sick at the last minute - and we ended up playing Lords of Waterdeep. It's a board game with two decks of cards and a variety of resources that the player must utilize with a set number of Agents to gain points. Each game is 8 turns long, and the player with the most points at the end of the 8th turn is the winner.

The flavor text and visuals are based on Dungeons & Dragons, though it utilizes no D&D game mechanics and does not require any knowledge of the RPG to play. It takes a bit of effort to set up and take down - there are a lot of fiddly little game pieces - but the learning curve isn't terribly steep and it's quite fun.