snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Closed Thread

Old 12 February 2016, 06:19 PM

Well, I only ever shop at the local Costco because the nearest stores outside of town are both more than an hour away.
Old 12 February 2016, 08:21 PM

I rarely shop at Costco anymore because the same thing would happen to me. I'd have a trunk load of stuff, have spent the entire grocery budget, and then some!! and still have to go out and buy the "real" groceries. You only need to do that a half dozen times before you learn your lesson .
Old 12 February 2016, 08:25 PM

But a three pound block of American cheese and 8 pounds of salmon are a great bargain!
Old 12 February 2016, 11:39 PM

My folks have a fairly strict "Costco List" of things they will typically buy there - it's like six items long, just things they think that Costco has the best price and quality on. They rarely buy much else there - if they do it's because one of us made a request ("can you get the trail mix again?") or they took one of us there to buy something. Consequently they don't shop there too often.
Old 13 February 2016, 09:35 AM

Whalephant

I think my kindle is slowly-very slowly- dying and I don't know whether to hang on until it dies or get a new one now.
Old 13 February 2016, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitap View Post
I think my kindle is slowly-very slowly- dying and I don't know whether to hang on until it dies or get a new one now.
Which Kindle is it? WFIW, Amazon is currently selling their basic Fire for $39.99.
Old 13 February 2016, 12:51 PM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillas View Post
Which Kindle is it? WFIW, Amazon is currently selling their basic Fire for $39.99.
Kindle Fire First Gen. I'm thinking about upgrading.
Old 13 February 2016, 01:24 PM

I bought an HDMI cable for my PlayStation 3, and I Could.Not. get it into the port on the back of the TV. I had to lay the TV on its screen to even see the stupid port, and the cable just wouldn't go in. I had to call my mom, and even she had trouble(at one point, she thought it was the wrong size). But we finally got it.
Old 13 February 2016, 02:40 PM

Its the 9 year olds 10th birthday on Monday! for the last two birthdays we have celebrated with her, we have generally invited about 15 people and 3 or 4 show up.. (a lot of parents are icky about foster kids for some reason).

This year we sent out 15 invitations expecting the same 3-4 kids to respond -- all 15 kids responded... (seems parents are really interested in (soon to be) adopted kids.
so its costing us almost 4X our expected budget...
Old 13 February 2016, 05:13 PM

Wow. I guess I'm happy for your foster/soon-to-be-adopted daughter that she'll have so many more people at her party, but WTF is wrong with those parents?
Old 14 February 2016, 08:19 AM

I need some exercise, and I love long walks, so I decided to go for a long walk today. I made a tub of pasta salad yesterday so I wouldn't need to stop in a pub for lunch (tends to negate the health benefits a bit!), laid out all my walking gear and got up nice and early - compared to when I usually get up at the weekends.

The one thing I didn't do is work out where I was going to walk to. I couldn't think of anywhere yesterday that I'd not already been and that filled me with enthusiasm. I thought I'd leave it to this morning. But now, an hour later I'm just sitting around, not really wanting to go anywhere in particular, and I've not even put my boots on yet! It looks like a lovely day, too...
Old 14 February 2016, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprise Me View Post
Wow. I guess I'm happy for your foster/soon-to-be-adopted daughter that she'll have so many more people at her party, but WTF is wrong with those parents?
What, for wanting their children to come to a birthday party that they've been invited to? That seems fairly reasonable to me...

It's a bit of a leap to assume that the increased numbers are anything to do with adoption, surely? It might just be that 10 is a "more important" birthday, entering double figures, so they're more likely to want to come.
Old 14 February 2016, 08:46 AM

It turned out well in the end but...

Last Sunday's paper had a few recipes for homemade icecream in it. One which included a few ingreadents I needed to use up (cream and natural yougurt) so I decided to give it a go. All I needed to buy was frozen blackberries and they were on special at the supermarket. So I went down (mid week)to get some only to find everyone else in my suburb must have had the same idea cause there was just an empty space where the frozen blackberries on special once were. I am pretty sure that it was for the same recipe I did because while all frozen berries were on special, only the blackberries were gone.

I ended up using mixed berries and it is yummy but the first time I make a recipe like to follow it exactly.
Old 15 February 2016, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
What, for wanting their children to come to a birthday party that they've been invited to? That seems fairly reasonable to me...

It's a bit of a leap to assume that the increased numbers are anything to do with adoption, surely? It might just be that 10 is a "more important" birthday, entering double figures, so they're more likely to want to come.
NDL wrote that "a lot of parents are icky about foster kids for some reason;" I didn't make any sort of leap. Presumably he has more information about the situation than you do. I also don't think your theory makes sense. Do people in your community just not bother taking their kids to other childrens' birthdays until they turn 10?
Old 15 February 2016, 01:26 AM

So Pink Tablet's school organized a trip to a STEM conference meant to introduce girls to sciences that are not traditionally women's fields. My daughter signed up for 4 classes, and while I thought some sounded great, I was a little disappointed that, for example, nursing and physical therapy were covered, but being a physician or surgeon weren't. But ok, whatever, I appreciate the attempt.

So my daughter gets her schedule this weekend, and her math, veterinary medicine, and graphic design choices have been replaced by earthquake preparedness, an empty break, and something called Ms. Smith. What?

But the real kicker was the back side of the paper. It's says "What to Wear" followed by the suggestion: "Comfortable and not sexy" followed by photos of Sears catalogue type photos of women in baggy slacks, low heals, long skirts, and boxy sweaters.

Why is a conference meant to empower women devoting an entire page to telling middle school girls not to look too attractive? And why is "earthquake preparedness" a part of a science and technology conference? Am I missing something?
Old 15 February 2016, 01:29 AM

I think it all depends on how well he knows the parents and whether they are the same parents whose kids were invited last time.

The older of my god-children gets invited to birthday parties fairly frequently. I drop him off and pick him up from preschool each day and no little about the other kids and less about their parents. I have no idea if any of these kids is a foster or adopted.
Old 15 February 2016, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Pink Pill View Post

Why is a conference meant to empower women devoting an entire page to telling middle school girls not to look too attractive? And why is "earthquake preparedness" a part of a science and technology conference? Am I missing something?
It sounds like someone really dropped the ball here. I mean I can see suggesting wearing comfortable clothes - good idea really - but long skirts and baggy sweaters? Seriously? The Amy Farrah Fowler approach to science I guess.

As for offering nursing but not doctoring (is that a word?) ? No message there, nope, not at all.
Old 15 February 2016, 02:18 AM

Thank you, I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that was a weird choice, or that the dress code comment went too far. I didn't object to "comfortable," either, but to specify "not sexy?" Why do you need them to try to not look sexy? Why mention sex at all?
Old 15 February 2016, 02:24 AM

Not that this would make it better but it's a conference for girls, right? Usually when the powers that be focus on the "sexiness" of girls' attire it's because they are distracting those poor pathetic boys who can't be expected to have any self control. I'm guessing the response from the organizers might be that they were trying to encourage the girls to dress professionally. Which still doesn't mean there was any reason to use terms like "not sexy".
Old 15 February 2016, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Pink Pill View Post
So my daughter gets her schedule this weekend, and her math, veterinary medicine, and graphic design choices have been replaced by earthquake preparedness, an empty break, and something called Ms. Smith. What?
Can you call them up and say What?! Or can your daughter do so?

That sounds very strange to me, and I would complain about it.

I hope that at least it turns out that Ms. Smith is presenting on math, veterinary medicine, or graphic design.
Closed Thread