snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Closed Thread

Old 08 February 2016, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
Between my Dad, my husband, my kids, their spouses and myself we've probably purchased at least 40 Tim Horton's coffees since they launched their annual "roll up the rim to win" event. So far none of us have won anything. I get that it's random chance but honestly! Most years I win a free coffee or donut at least one out of every three cups. I don't really expect to win a car or any of the other big prizes but not even winning a coffee - I may just take my business elsewhere. That'll teach ya, Timmies .
My BIL is convinced that southern Ontario (especially the toronto area) gets a larger percentage of losing cups than other areas of the province. He claims he won all the time when living in Sudbury, but never wins now that he lives in the GTA.

I told Mr. S that I won last week....won the right play again that is.
Old 08 February 2016, 06:41 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Turtle Named Mack View Post
SM, that would concern me greatly if it is not a thing with a built-in timer. That sounds like for some reason the circuit is getting overloaded. Besides the annoyance, both in losing light and concern over whether other things are getting cut off as well, it sounds like a potential fire hazard. What do you have to do to get the lights back on - just flip the switch at the wall or go to the circuit breaker board? Or do they come on themselves after a bit?
It's not the circuit (the lights are LEDs), it's the transformer for the fixture. The contractor is working on it. Yes, it's a concern.

As to how to get them to come back on, I have to turn them off for a while. How long a while I have yet to fully confirm (at least an hour) because I turn them off and then completely forget that I'm supposed to be trying to turn them on at intervals to determine when they'll come back on.

What I've been doing, insofar as my limited attention span permits, is I turn them on, turn on the under cabinet lighting, then turn off the overheads.

Seaboe
Old 08 February 2016, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooeygun View Post
My BIL is convinced that southern Ontario (especially the toronto area) gets a larger percentage of losing cups than other areas of the province. He claims he won all the time when living in Sudbury, but never wins now that he lives in the GTA.

I told Mr. S that I won last week....won the right play again that is.
our home collects 3 extra large coffee per day .. since the 3rd (15 cups total) we have won 5 coffee and 2 donuts. just under 50!
I am in the GTA ......
Old 08 February 2016, 07:25 PM

Another 6 cups to add to the Tim Horton's Roll Up the Rim and Don't Win total. None bought by me I might add. I know "you can't win if you don't play" but, meh, I like Starbucks better anyway .
Old 09 February 2016, 06:18 AM

Tanks for the advice on birds books with silhouettes. I will look into that, although I'm not a that avid bird watcher that I want to carry two books for cross reference. Maybe I could pencil the German names into the English book...
Old 09 February 2016, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
Another 6 cups to add to the Tim Horton's Roll Up the Rim and Don't Win total. None bought by me I might add. I know "you can't win if you don't play" but, meh, I like Starbucks better anyway .
If the odds are still listed as 1 in 6, if you bring the 6 losing cups to the store, you could get a free donut or coffee. I've done it before!
Old 09 February 2016, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Enrico View Post
Tanks for the advice on birds books with silhouettes. I will look into that, although I'm not a that avid bird watcher that I want to carry two books for cross reference. Maybe I could pencil the German names into the English book...
Or just rely on the Latin names! Really, I never was that avid, although it made for a good reason to get outdoors and something extra to do while enjoying nature. The Peterson books come in paperback versions that fit in a pocket of cargo pants or day-pack. I would imagine you could get a guide as an App, but my bird-watching days were before Apps were a thing.
Old 09 February 2016, 06:33 PM

I've got too many TV series that I'm in the middle of watching on Netflix and not enough time to watch them all, at least not when combined with the currently airing TV shows that I also want to watch -- the new X-Files, the final season of Mythbusters, and now season 2 of Better Call Saul is starting next week. At least there are only two more X-Files episodes, which will free up a spot in my Monday night schedule, but like I said Better Call Saul is just going to take up a spot instead.
Old 09 February 2016, 08:33 PM

It's pancake day, so I was going to make pancakes for supper. But I just finished shovelling out the car and now I'm too tired.
Old 10 February 2016, 12:01 AM

Mouse

I know it's kind of silly, the thing with me and bird names, but I find myself just kind of curious. Always envied people who can hear a bird call or see one flutter by and say, "Oh, that's a X," or something. I know a few of the duh obvious ones, but other than that I'm kind of lacking. Keep trying to remedy it.

I know it won't put money in my pocket and it's not the kind of knowledge employers care about, but said birds are my neighbors; feel I should know the bare minimum and understand a little how the ecosystem works together and all.

But maybe I'm just weird is all.
Old 10 February 2016, 01:43 AM

Actually, I get that feeling too, Mouse. I can handle more species of birds than the average person, due to a few years with the Audubon Society and doing active bird-watching, but there are too many to learn. I also feel that way about knowing local plants (I'd say 'native' plants, but I want to know whatever I might find out there, and a lot are not native), and whether there is anything about them I should know, like if they are edible, poisonous, invasive, whatever.
Old 10 February 2016, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Or just rely on the Latin names!
That would be possible, but you can't tell anybody you saw a milvus milvus and a buteo buteo yesterday without sounding very posh and a little condescending. "I saw a red kite and a common buzzard" (or, in my case, "einen Roten Milan und einen Mäusebussard") just works better.
Old 10 February 2016, 11:28 AM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Enrico View Post
That would be possible, but you can't tell anybody you saw a milvus milvus and a buteo buteo yesterday without sounding very posh and a little condescending. "I saw a red kite and a common buzzard" (or, in my case, "einen Roten Milan und einen Mäusebussard") just works better.
Heh. I asked our head groundskeeper what the name of a plant was once as I couldn't think of it and it was driving me bonkers. He looked where I was pointing and said the Latin name. My co-worker said "what?" blankly as I said "*that's * what it is!" as I recognized the Latin name for some random reason. He started laughing and told the co-worker the common name and said he'd used the Latin as he guessed I'd know it.
Old 10 February 2016, 11:32 AM

Quote:
I also feel that way about knowing local plants (I'd say 'native' plants, but I want to know whatever I might find out there, and a lot are not native), and whether there is anything about them I should know, like if they are edible, poisonous, invasive, whatever.
It's a larch.
Old 10 February 2016, 11:46 AM

Icon19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
It's a larch.
Is it a giant larch and do you want to be a lumberjack?
Old 12 February 2016, 12:20 AM

I wanted some Costco chicken soup for dinner tonight. This required me to go to Costco. And, of course, I didn't just buy chicken soup there, I bought some other stuff while I was there. Which ended up using up all of my cash (seriously, I'm down to pennies) and all of the space in my pantry and freezer.

I really wish there were some way to get Costco stuff in smaller quantities.
Old 12 February 2016, 09:41 AM

Hello Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
I really wish there were some way to get Costco stuff in smaller quantities.
Uhm, that's what a regular supermarket is for.
Old 12 February 2016, 03:09 PM

The regular supermarkets don't always carry the same stuff as Costco.
Old 12 February 2016, 03:16 PM

For example, they probably don't carry "Costco chicken soup."
Old 12 February 2016, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
The regular supermarkets don't always carry the same stuff as Costco.
Even the Costco's don't carry the same stuff as the other Costco

You go to one, and they have a totally different selection that the other one, 20 minutes drive away.
Closed Thread