snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 06 May 2016, 01:56 PM

The good: We have wonderful weather, and I was going to go the first round of frisbee golf this year.

The bad: Some bastard has stolen the #5 basket. Just to be clear, these baskets are big, heavy and expensive. So, they have used a car to haul it, and it will cost me $700, including freight, to get a new one. I hope my insurance cover it, but it'll still be $200. Thanks, thief, for ruining my good mood.
Old 20 May 2016, 03:28 PM

Glasses

This is a downer, and a pretty big one at that.

My BFF's mother collapsed and died last night. She was in her mid- to late-80s. On May 30th, she and her husband would've celebrated their 68th anniversary.

This was a huge shock to my friend K and her father; While I am intensely sorry, I wasn't shocked or surprised. When I saw my friend earlier this month, and she described her mother's struggles (she had digestive issues, had difficulty chewing, and was on a diet that removed most of her favorite treats, like chocolate and ice-cream [the latter due to the digestive issues]), it really sounded to me like the very effort of living was wearing her out.

They aren't going to have a ceremony until her father goes, at which time they will both be returned to their home town for burial. However, I've offered to go over there (Spokane) for Memorial Day weekend. If nothing else, I can sit with her father and he can talk to me. When K's brother died unexpectedly, I went to help pack up his house and spent a lot of time listening to her father. He needed to say things that only distressed his wife and daughter more, and my being available to listen really helped. I would be honored to serve the same function again.

Seaboe
Old 20 May 2016, 04:44 PM

Seaboe, I am very sorry for your loss.

And yes, it can be a great help to have someone to talk to who can be in the position you describe.
Old 20 May 2016, 07:28 PM

Glasses

Thank you, Thorny.

The irony is that I haven't visited K at the house for years, because we could never get anything done. Her father would want to talk to me, and her mother would monopolize K's time. Sigh.

Seaboe
Old 20 May 2016, 10:54 PM

The up: We're supposed to have an absolutely gorgeous weekend.

The down: I work all day tomorrow and I'm on call til Monday morning, so I can't use the beautiful weekend to go visit my horse. And it's supposed to rain all next week.
Old 22 May 2016, 08:24 AM

The good: I finally managed to get out to the recycling depot and scrounge through the tip shop

The bad: I'm not sure what I was expecting because it was full of literal junk that I can't see anyone wanting to buy. I mean, stuff like a big box full of old TV remotes that probably didn't work even if by some coincidence you happened to own a really old TV that matched the brand & make of the remote. Also cordless phones without the base unit, etc etc etc..
Old 25 May 2016, 04:07 PM

Icon108

The good: it looks like the rainy pattern that's been hanging over this area all month is breaking up and that the sun is starting to stay out longer than an hour or two. But the rain and cool temps did keep the pollen levels down, so that's good too.

The bad: this area's notorious humidity will raise its ugly sweaty head starting tomorrow, if not later on today.
Old 26 May 2016, 12:00 AM

The good: the screen on my laptop wasn't broken, so I saved a bunch of money on the repairs.

The bad: this means that the repair service I took my laptop to could have had it fixed and back to me a week ago if they'd done a thorough job diagnosing the problem the first time.
Old 26 May 2016, 03:20 PM

Glasses

The good: I may get to stay home and work around the house this weekend (rather than driving to Spokane to support my BFF and her father).

The bad: a friend from college lost her battle with liver cancer. First she lost an eye to melanoma, then her husband died of lung cancer, now she's gone. Life just isn't fair.

Seaboe
Old 26 May 2016, 08:59 PM

That sucks, Seaboe. I'm sorry.
Old 27 May 2016, 12:52 PM

Icon06

So am I. Damn!
Old 27 May 2016, 03:21 PM

Glasses

Thank you both.

down: It might rain all weekend, which would be emotionally appropriate but seasonally frustrating.

good: I'd have to get the housework down if I can't get the yardwork done.

Seaboe
Old 31 May 2016, 01:39 PM

The Good: I was sure I had one last jar of my homemade tomarto relish left I was going you have with my dinner.

The Bad: I couldn't find it in the fridge

The Good: The good I finally found it and it is rather large jar

The Bad: I remembered why I hadn't used it before, I had put the lid on it while hot (as you do when you are puting preserves in bottles) and I couldn't get the lid off.

The Good: After working on it a while I finally got the lid off!! and in my searching for it I got out and washed a lot of jars that only had a scrapping of the orginally contents.
Old 01 July 2016, 10:55 AM

The good: husband's work truck is in good shape despite being 15 years old.

The bad: estimates vary from $2K to $10K of how much it's worth. It's a Japanese truck that currently resides in Canada. We'll have to pay import duties on it since it wasn't made in the US. The current import rate is 25% "established" value. A prior, less scrupulous Canadian mechanic valued the truck at $1,000. We have no idea what standards ICE uses.

Ultimately if the truck is viable it saves us a ton of money replacing it, so that my husband can establish his business down in the US. But having to save up for the import duty hurts a little.
Old 01 July 2016, 03:23 PM

Glasses

Plurabelle, look it up at Kelley Blue Book. There are a lot of hoops to jump through (describing the car in terrific detail), but at the end it will give you a range of values. I put in my 1999 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab and came out at the end with a value of about $3500.

I'm reasonably certain customs will accept Blue Book values.

Seaboe
Old 12 July 2016, 07:18 PM

Driver

Down: I noticed that my car was not acting right during my vacation.
Up: Found a Subaru dealership that could take a look at it.
Down: My car needed some major and costly repairs Oh, and the car would not be ready that day.
Up: The dealership let me have a loaner, and the estimated cost of the repairs is probably cheaper than it would be in my area.
Down: The cost.....
Up: Got a call from the mechanic--my car is ready today due the overtime one of the other mechanics put in! Hope that guy gets steak dinner, day off, whatever. DH left this morning and should be returning this afternoon or tomorrow with my car!
Down: Got my property tax statement while on vacation. How much of the kidneys can one loose and still retain function without dialysis?
Old 17 July 2016, 09:05 PM

Up: I finally found a scratching post Nelson actually uses.
Down: He'd already ripped several holes in the front of the sofa by the time I did.
Old 21 July 2016, 02:40 PM

Up: I desided to treat myself to a some takeaway Indian
Down: Walked the three blocks and discovered I had forgotten my wallet. So I rushed back home, got my wallet and headed back again.

Further down: All the rushing gave me a stitch in the side

Even further down: In all my rushing, I pulled my keys from my backpack (on the way home) and had the feeling something else came out at the same time. Was it my letterbox key? Can't stop now have to keep going to get my dinner. Get home, I can't find my letterbox key. Look everywhere for it including taking a torch and checking the footpath where I pulled my keys out.

Up: Finally found the key in my clothes peg bucket where put it this afternoon when I checked the letter box after bringing in my washing.

Dinner was good though.
Old 24 July 2016, 12:15 AM

Down: My chair broke (yes, the same one I was complaining about squeaking recently)
Up: It's still under warranty, and I found the original receipt.
Down: To make a warranty claim I have to call a 1-800 number. I hate phone anxiety.
Old 24 July 2016, 01:20 AM

It wouldn't surprise me if the reason you have to call rather than doing it online is that they know this will be enough of a hurdle to enough people that enough warranties will run out to make it financially worth their while.

Signed, a person who has on many occasions ordered Domino's rather than better delivery pizza from a local place that doesn't have an option to order online.