snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 25 September 2017, 03:09 PM

Glasses

Does your internship have an end date, mbravo? If so, that may be your up (that this isn't forever).

Seaboe
Old 25 September 2017, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
Does your internship have an end date, mbravo? If so, that may be your up (that this isn't forever).

Seaboe
Yeah, it will only be a few months longer. I just hate to think of it that way, because there are some really awesome parts about it that I know I'll miss when it's over. And it's mostly that pre-emptive anxiety- I usually feel okay at the end of the day, it's waiting for the day to start and not knowing what to expect that makes things tough.

But you're right- I can think of the fact that maybe wherever I am next, I'll feel at ease in the morning more often than not.
Old 02 October 2017, 03:13 PM

Tantrum

DOWN: last Wednesday, I stepped on a black walnut, fell and broke my right wrist.
UP: It's a very slight fracture, and I am left handed.
DOWN: I use my right hand for some things, but it still has a limited range of motion.
Old 03 October 2017, 12:54 PM

Mouse

I spotted a mouse in the kitchen last night

UP: The cat caught the mouse!
DOWN: The cat immediately let the mouse go again!
Old 03 October 2017, 02:15 PM

Glasses

DOWN (basement level or below): my BFF's father is in hospice now.

UP (sky high): Yesterday, he chewed on ice, asked to get out of his chair, and called my friend by her name. He also still remembers she's his daughter.

Seaboe
Old 07 October 2017, 11:30 AM

DOWN: I've done a bunch of work for several companies lately but they all forgot (or 'forgot') to pay me and my bank account was down to its last $15.

UP: I figured out that I could buy just enough food for myself, my cat and the birds that visit my backyard with that $15 and make it stretch until my next social security payment, so I went down to the supermarket and very carefully selected $15 worth of groceries.

DOWN: I thought I'd added everything up correctly but my card was declined at the check out due to insufficient funds. I got the check out guy to remove one item from the docket but it wasn't enough and my card was declined again.

UP: The check out guy whipped out his wallet and paid for all my stuff on his own card! We all get to eat after all! (I've been shopping at that store and casually chatting with this guy for a decade. We probably know more about each other than some of my family.)

DOWN: When I left the store and checked the docket I discovered that the reason I didn't have sufficient funds was that the check out guy had accidentally scanned an item twice. It turns out my sums had been correct and I was humiliated in front of a line of strangers because of the clerk's error. (Even though he paid for his mistake. )

UP: I got all the food I needed and I still got to keep my $15!

Wow, that was a rollercoaster of emotions.
Old 16 October 2017, 10:56 PM

Down: There was an old man standing on the corner near the grocery store with a sign asking for food or a ride to the next town over. He looked positively ragged, and even though the day wasn't too cold, the wind was up and cut right through my coat.
Up: My friend and I were headed to the store anyway, so I picked up an extra sandwich and a bottle of soda intending to pass it along his way. I've been homeless in the past, and I know what it's like to sit on a curb with everything you own in a backpack. I'm a big believer in what goes around comes around.
Down: Although we weren't inside long the fellow was gone by the time we came out with our groceries. We checked the other exits from the parking lot too, just in case he'd moved to a warmer spot than right out in the wind.
Up?: I really hope someone got him that ride ...
Down?: ... but more likely that the owners of the store just asked him to leave for being a nuance. I didn't have the heart to eat the sandwich at that point, but my friend was happy to take it to eat later for lunch, so at least it didn't get wasted.

I know that not everyone sitting with a sign is really in need of help, and I've heard of people turning down food and only asking for cash (which would make me mighty suspicious of their claims) but I've never seen it happen in person. I was darn thankful for every handout I ever got, and everyone I've helped along the way now that I'm back on my feet and doing well financially has been just as thankful. I hope wherever he is tonight that guy is doing better than how he looked this morning, but I know that might just be wishful thinking.
Old 17 October 2017, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallah View Post
Down?: ... but more likely that the owners of the store just asked him to leave for being a nuance.
It doesn't sound like he was being very subtle.
Old 17 October 2017, 11:05 AM

Kallah- thank you for your intended act of kindness. I hope things started to look up for the fellow also.

Up- Within a few weeks, this graduation requirement project will be behind me.
Down- In the meantime, it is ruining my fall.
Up- I made a master checklist of the whole project, as well as a correlated day-to-day plan of what I should try to accomplish each day, to help me feel more in control of the situation.
Down- The day to day plan takes me right up to the due date (which has been moved forward from its original due date, they just changed it partway through the semester).
Up- I just have to complete it, I don't need to get a certain score on it.
Down- I can't bring myself to half @$$ something anyway, regardless of whether it matters to an office of people.
Down- And I still have to allot time to do work for my internship, which is fairly time consuming in and of itself.
Up- Maybe things will start going better today.