snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 25 August 2015, 02:45 PM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
New York State has no rules about the source of items sold at farmers' markets. Many individual markets do have such rules, but the rules can vary a great deal from market to market. My immediate area has several markets with rules such as "this county or adjacent counties" or "within 40 miles" etc., as well as rules requiring most or all of what's for sale to have been produced by the vendor; but there's also one at which you can sell anything, grown or made anywhere, by anybody".
The Dane County Farmer's Market in Madison WI requires that every vendor's products be grown or made (sausage, bread etc.) in Wisconsin and there can be Jo third-party sellers.

There was a farm which sold there which used to advertise that its sweet corn had been "picked fresh this morning by young Norwegian virgins" but they stopped (I don't know if it was complaints or they ran out of young Norwegian virgins). So they switched to "grown in REAL dirt: taste the difference!"
Old 25 August 2015, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitap View Post
they switched to "grown in REAL dirt: taste the difference!"
I was thinking, "so is everybody else's", but then I remembered that there's a lot of hydroponically grown stuff around, especially in greens.

-- Years ago, we had a vendor who brought their produce entirely unwashed and without brushing the soil off. They put out a sign saying "Good [Our Town] Dirt Is Free!"
Old 27 August 2015, 10:45 PM

"Clickbait" ads in general, but especially:

"18 Gay Actors Who Play Straight Characters!"

Umm, yeah. It's called acting.
Old 31 August 2015, 06:54 PM

Jaded

The Volkswaged commercials with the abrasive, raspy-voiced old ladies who do nothing but shout at each other and hit on the young salesmen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXf9wgfv8lw

And there are something like 100 of these things with at least 2-3 played during every commercial break...

ETA: And would these ads be ok if it was a bunch of aggressive old men fawning over a young saleswoman and commenting on her 'rear end'? No, no they wouldn't. Stop it. That's not ok.

Last edited by TallGeekyGirl; 31 August 2015 at 07:18 PM.
Old 31 August 2015, 09:10 PM

The ick factor is strong in this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMkA3LqR6Gg
Old 23 September 2015, 05:16 PM

Icon05

That car ad where the dad and son drive up to the school bus stop as the driver closes the door and drives away, smirking. The dad and son drive to the school, crossing paths with the bus on several occasions, and pull up to the school just as the bus arrives.

1. Presumably the bus had to make other stops and pick up more kids en route.
2. Presumably therefore the bus route wasn't the most direct way to the school.
3. Why didn't the car get there much sooner than the bus?

This ad makes no sense to me.
Old 23 September 2015, 06:41 PM

If they got there sooner than the bus, the parent wouldn't have been able to gloat in retaliation for the bus driver's gloating. That's about as much sense as I can get out of it.
Old 23 September 2015, 06:56 PM

Could it also be that the commercial you're seeing is shorter than the one that was filmed? Probably not in your case but that's something that happens a lot and can make what was a pretty decent commercial look incredibly stupid when they eliminate the back story and just show a 10 second or so clip.
Old 23 September 2015, 08:23 PM

Questions 1 and 2 can be answered by assuming that the stop the kid missed was the last stop, so the bus was indeed taking the most direct route to school. Of course that then forces you to ask why the driver took a different route that was not the most direct, and the only answer I can come up with there is basically what Lainie said - he wanted to pass the bus often and arrive at the same time, in order to show off to the bus driver.
I now understand the commercial less than I did before writing this.
Old 24 September 2015, 03:31 AM

Icon86

The latest Kars For Kidz radio kommercial has gone kountry!

Mute button time again.
Old 24 September 2015, 03:36 AM

Also, the Progressive commercials just keep getting stranger and stranger.

Yo! Stephanie! I'm sure, if you've spent wisely, you've got a nice fat bank account by now. Time to retire Flo and MOVE ON!!
Old 27 September 2015, 05:26 AM

An ad for Humira, a treatment for a skin problem (eczema?) shows a guy at the grocery store. A youngish woman appears interested in him briefly until she sees the flare-up on his arm. Then he's at a party, having taken the medicine, and a half-dozen equally attractive women hang around him. I'm not sure why it bothers me, but probably a combination of these things:
  • the notion that you should take a medicine just for the sake of being attractive
  • The same insulting mentality that's often used in marketing to women is being used to market to men.
  • the notion that you should care whether a stranger at the grocery finds you attractive
Old 27 September 2015, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Credence View Post
Questions 1 and 2 can be answered by assuming that the stop the kid missed was the last stop, so the bus was indeed taking the most direct route to school. Of course that then forces you to ask why the driver took a different route that was not the most direct, and the only answer I can come up with there is basically what Lainie said - he wanted to pass the bus often and arrive at the same time, in order to show off to the bus driver.
I now understand the commercial less than I did before writing this.
My guess is that 3 is explained by the fact that the route the bus took was not the most direct since the father knew of one that was slightly faster that the bus driver didnít know of. Itís also sorta implied that the car possesses some aspects that makes it inferior to the lumbering bus in terms of performance.

Also it doesnít necessarily have to be the last stop. After all, what if Dad wasnít totally familiar with the route? Unless he happened to catch up to the bus immediately he couldnít tail it - and I can tell you that if I missed the bus, my parents took me direct to school - not to another stop.
Old 27 September 2015, 07:44 AM

Has anyone seen the Skittles Pox commercial, where a girl picks a skittle off a guy's face, puts it in her mouth, then breaks out with skittle boils all over her skin?

Skittles, you compared food to a pestilence, then made someone eat it? I like skittles, but now I feel like they are infectious pustules that came off some blistery adolescent. Hard candy coating, soft pus filled inside?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=s6_cj35ZMnk
Old 27 September 2015, 02:30 PM

I think we've discussed the various disgusting Skittles commercials before like the pox and the one where the guy is running on the treadmill and sweating Skittles. Not sure how the commercials do overall but they actually make me not want to eat Skittles.
eta- just the mention of the Skittles pox commercial gives me the creeps
Old 27 September 2015, 02:35 PM

The Audi "second owner" ads, where the car's "second owner" pops up to tell the first owner to do something or not to do something rub me the wrong way. It's not your car yet! If the current owner wants to paste a bumper sticker on, or let the kids eat in the car, it's not your business!
Old 27 September 2015, 02:40 PM

Whalephant

The American Express stream of consciousness commercials. No. Stop it.
Old 27 September 2015, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Pink Pill View Post
Has anyone seen the Skittles Pox commercial, where a girl picks a skittle off a guy's face, puts it in her mouth, then breaks out with skittle boils all over her skin?

Skittles, you compared food to a pestilence, then made someone eat it? I like skittles, but now I feel like they are infectious pustules that came off some blistery adolescent. Hard candy coating, soft pus filled inside?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=s6_cj35ZMnk
That commercial actually makes me feel a bit sick. I don't like any of the skittles commercials though - the one with the elderly man who has the Midas touch where everything he handles turns into skittles is actually heartbreakingly sad. I really don't get where the marketing genius's are coming from with these adverts.
Old 27 September 2015, 10:35 PM

CIBC has a string of commercials featuring penguins. I don't mind them except for the one about in home mortgages because it doesn't make any sense. The penguin couple goes on about how they have this activity on Monday and that activity on Tuesday, etc and how great it would be if the mortgage broker could come to their house. Except all of their activities mean they aren't home. Which makes the whole thing pointless.
Old 27 September 2015, 11:02 PM

Little Caesar's has been running a series of ads about how ordering pizzas online is too difficult, so you should buy their Hot N Ready pizzas instead. Little Caesar's: pizza for people who can't figure out the internet.