snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 25 June 2015, 04:53 PM

We get that, too. Part of what bothers me is that there is no nutritional magic, and the more that gets pitched, the more people get the message that there is a short cut to healthy eating (well, there are some - simple fare rather than more involved cookery, etc.). Also the last woman to speak sounds more like she is freaked out on meth or something like that.
Old 25 June 2015, 05:01 PM

Icon102

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolate kisses View Post
We have a radio commercial playing here for some nutritional supplement that is supposed to make you feel wonderful. Texas SuperFood ? It features people complaining about how they feel good all the time and would like to feel awful once in a while. I don't know why, but people complaining because they feel good all the time makes me want to change the station.
I've heard the same ad here as well. I checked out the website; it looks like a glorified V8 drink. There is a huge disclaimer, namely that the doctor is not a medical doctor, and not licensed to practice medicine anywhere in the US. Uh, yeah.

ETA: just checked the website and did not find the disclaimer.
Old 01 July 2015, 02:48 PM

Shout

AT&T (IIRC) has an annoying radio ad that sets automotive sounds such as the windshield wipers to an annoying tune. The whole point is that driving has its own rhythm, so don't mess it up by texting.
Old 01 July 2015, 03:31 PM

Jolly Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhound View Post
Fat also helps prevent rebound. My late father, a rather brittle diabetic, on his doctor's advice, kept mini-Snickers bars around.
When I have blood sugar issue, and its pretty rare, I crave peanuts and chocolate. Peanut M&Ms or Snickers solves the problem quite nicely.
Old 01 July 2015, 03:47 PM

Ron Santo did a Snickers commercial in the 70s, and I read that he would eat a candy bar when he felt his blood sugar was low(this being before home glucose monitoring).

ETA:
http://youtu.be/OwoAUg6MoVw
Old 29 July 2015, 01:38 AM

There's a commercial for Lay's potato chips I've seen a few times now that seems to be attempting to convey the idea that Lay's chips are a natural, wholesome food. The voice over includes the line "Our vegetables are farm-grown..." Ok, that's technically true, but where else would they be grown? I just imagine a bunch of ad men coming up with that line like in the first episode of Mad Men (spoiler warning warning for those who haven't seen it and want to) where Don Draper pitches his slogan for Lucky Strikes:

Don: "It's toasted."
Lucky Strike exec: "But so are everyone else's cigarettes."
Don: "No, everyone else's cigarettes are poison. Yours are toasted."
Old 29 July 2015, 02:07 AM

Icon18

There's a local food truck that advertises their farm-grown produce. I like to imagine that they're accusing their competitors of picking wild kale and potatoes off the side of the freeway.

-Tabby
the princess with claws
Old 29 July 2015, 02:38 AM

While we're at it, "homegrown" signs in the supermarket* mean, as near as I can tell, nothing whatsoever.

That is, it's certainly possible that somebody lives on the same general property that the produce was grown on. But when the sign is on cantaloupes in a chain store supermarket in New York State in March, it can't possibly mean either "these were grown around here" or "these were grown by a tiny operation in somebody's back yard." Tiny operations in somebody's back yard do not, believe me, supply chain stores in other parts of the country.

*they may or may not mean anything at a farmers' market, depending on the market rules; or at a roadside stand, for that matter, depending on who's running it.
Old 29 July 2015, 05:21 AM

In Minnesota, the rules are such that if they say "homegrown" at the farmer's market, that means it had to be grown in Minnesota. (They have to be able to prove it. DW used to work at the state AG dept.)

In the Cubs chain here, they're known to actually list the source farm if it's been grown in Minnesota. I don't know about Lunds/Byerlys as I never shop there.
Old 29 July 2015, 02:05 PM

New York State has no rules about the source of items sold at farmers' markets. Many individual markets do have such rules, but the rules can vary a great deal from market to market. My immediate area has several markets with rules such as "this county or adjacent counties" or "within 40 miles" etc., as well as rules requiring most or all of what's for sale to have been produced by the vendor; but there's also one at which you can sell anything, grown or made anywhere, by anybody.

I have seen supermarkets post signs naming specific farms as the source of some products. I've also seen them post signs saying "locally grown": I occasionally ask what the store means by that. I've gotten answers ranging anywhere from "usually this county, but if not available here sometimes as far as [city two counties over]" to "somewhere on the East Coast".
Old 06 August 2015, 07:53 PM

Ponder

Maybe it's just me, but I think the current ad for Stelara with CariDee English is very... strange. She's a fashion model (who apparently won a season of America's Next Top Model) who has plaque psoriasis, so she's become a spokesperson for this drug.

But nearly all the outfits she's wearing in this ad cover her arms and neck pretty much completely. She puts on a coat, she wraps a scarf around her neck. Even in the "beach" shot, she's wearing a knee-length dress with 3/4 sleeves! If I were a sufferer and looking for a treatment, I'm not sure this ad would convince me to try Stelara.

http://www.ispot.tv/ad/7EqB/stelara-...aridee-english

Last edited by Tootsie Plunkette; 06 August 2015 at 07:59 PM.
Old 06 August 2015, 07:57 PM

I've been hearing radio ads for a DUI attorney whose message is, "Save my number in your phone so you have it when you get puled over." Yeah... as opposed to the number of a cab company, DD service, or sober friend.
Old 06 August 2015, 07:59 PM

The Trip Advisor ads with the little French bulldog*. The way the dog "says" "BOOK!" just grates on me for some reason...

*At least that's what I think the breed is. I'm not a dog person.
Old 06 August 2015, 08:13 PM

There was a commercial for Dunkin Donuts that played every morning until about a week ago that drove me crazy. It was a football player (Gronkowski I think) and a baseball player (I have no idea who he was) practicing for a music video and the football player would just say "me me me me me" over and over. It was meant to be funny but I found it so annoying.
Old 06 August 2015, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootsie Plunkette View Post
Maybe it's just me, but I think the current ad for Stelara with CariDee English is very... strange. She's a fashion model (who apparently won a season of America's Next Top Model) who has plaque psoriasis, so she's become a spokesperson for this drug.

But nearly all the outfits she's wearing in this ad cover her arms and neck pretty much completely. She puts on a coat, she wraps a scarf around her neck. Even in the "beach" shot, she's wearing a knee-length dress with 3/4 sleeves! If I were a sufferer and looking for a treatment, I'm not sure this ad would convince me to try Stelara.

http://www.ispot.tv/ad/7EqB/stelara-...aridee-english
Oh, hey, I remember her! I'm always rather shocked when I see anyone from ANTM getting actual work. I recall she mentioned the psoriasis on the show (Tyra loves that stuff...the more tragedy the better).

But you're right. We don't see much skin in that ad.
Old 12 August 2015, 02:31 AM

The Arby's sandwich commercials featuring the voice of Ving Rhames. Nobody wants your g-damn sandwiches, Arby's. Stop trying to be edgy and funny, because you're just annoying the crap out of everyone. Most especially I hate the one that explains where sandwiches come from. Stupid. Just stupid. And they are on EVERY commercial break on Comedy Central Stop! STOOOOOOOOP!!!!
Old 12 August 2015, 11:38 AM

The Diet Coke commercial with the "You're so cute I wanna wear you like a suit" song always reminds me of Ed Gein.
Old 12 August 2015, 01:48 PM

Me, too, now.

ETA: I did like the farewell ad Arby's did for John Stewart, featuring the Golden Girls theme and a medley of his Arby's insults over the years.
Old 12 August 2015, 01:50 PM

There is an ad for an ISP with a family blandly extolling the virtue of reliability while everything in their house BUT the internet service, is exploding, collapsing, etc. It so annoys me I change the channel even when I would tolerate most other commercials. I am not sure if it is the vapidity of the family or the stupidity of the premise or what that so annoys me, but I just hate it.
Old 25 August 2015, 02:14 PM

The whole line of Checkers/Rally ads with the animated talking bag - just about everything about that whole pitch grinds on me.