snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 17 August 2017, 07:58 PM

Icon108

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittykins View Post
If you want to have lunch at 11:15, you can dang well have lunch at 11:15.
Unless you're stuck in a meeting until 12.
Old 03 September 2017, 05:58 PM

France

When writing a CD, check that you have a CD in your computer. I still can't believe it took me five attempts before realizing that my computer was empty. I must be more tired than I thought.

Old 13 September 2017, 09:54 PM

Just because she is having a PTSD meltdown doesn't make me worthless.
Just because I feel worthless by not being able to help doesn't justify falling into depression.
Just because I'm falling into depression is no reason to give up on the new job, the move, etc.
Just because this has happened before, and I'm STILL not sure how to deal with it happening, doesn't justify giving up on her.
Old 19 September 2017, 04:15 PM

France

When buying something, always check you have all the pieces. Otherwise, you may, like me, end up with an electric kettle without its base.

Old 20 September 2017, 10:10 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by popkulture View Post
JJust because this has happened before, and I'm STILL not sure how to deal with it happening, doesn't justify giving up on her.
You might want to look into counseling for yourself.

Seaboe
Old 22 September 2017, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
You might want to look into counseling for yourself.

Seaboe
As soon as the new paycheck kicks in, that is most definitely on the agenda. Until then, I just have to muddle through.
Old 27 September 2017, 03:10 PM

Don't turn on the toaster oven and kettle at the same time! After 5 or 6 fuses, you would think I would remember.

I wish I could have them plugged in elsewhere, but the way my tiny kitchen is set up, there is only one plug accessible.
Old 27 September 2017, 05:51 PM

Icon86

If you're going to eat the nasturtium leaves while you trim the plant back you should check underneath them for caterpillars and spiders before putting them in your mouth!

I'm pretty sure that I didn't eat any bugs but not 100% certain.
Old 27 September 2017, 05:56 PM

I probably shouldn't have to tell myself that "nasturtium" is not a scientific term for something nasty, but that's where my mind has gone.
Old 27 September 2017, 06:01 PM

It sounds like a special room where you plot nasty things.

"If anyone needs me I'll be in my Nasturtium."
Old 27 September 2017, 06:28 PM

I like that better. I think I will start calling my den that.
Old 27 September 2017, 07:02 PM

Sooeygun, would it help to get in the habit of keeping them unplugged when not in use?

The extra action required to plug the second one in might be enough to remind you that the first was already running; plus which, especially as the wiring is dubious, keeping them unplugged when you're not around is a good safety measure.

(A second plug available in the kitchen would only help if it were on a different circuit. Two on the same circuit can only take the same total load. As your circuit can't run two common kitchen appliances at once, it's either very old or something's wrong with the wiring -- or, maybe, something elsewhere in the house but on the same circuit is drawing a lot of power.)
Old 29 September 2017, 06:34 PM

When someone says "I still can't figure out what Trump has done that has everyone so upset" they aren't really asking for enlightenment, they're having a laugh at the expense of "everyone". Don't rise to their bait.

Last edited by Sue; 29 September 2017 at 06:42 PM.
Old 20 October 2017, 02:49 PM

Still on the Trump theme, I think I am going to have to start avoiding the news again. I had reached a point where I could cope pretty well but lately every time I watch the news or read things online I get so angry. It's just not healthy . I am at a point now where I can't remember why I was so upset about the Bush presidency or even the Harper regime. Nothing either of these men did compared - and they were both in office for YEARS, Trump, we're still counting months (at least since he officially took office). I don't know how Americans are managing. I really don't. Whenever I see that man's bloated face I want to scream. Or cry.
Old 20 October 2017, 03:07 PM

Glasses

I think several radio stations should start playing Dan Fogelberg's Democracy (this is a video) and follow up with a discussion.

Seaboe
Old 20 October 2017, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
I don't know how Americans are managing. I really don't. Whenever I see that man's bloated face I want to scream. Or cry.
I often avoid the news and even my Facebook newsfeed. It's not just Trump, it's the fact that someone so clearly, blatantly unfit and unstable was nominated and then elected. The idea that he holds the same office and took the same oath as Lincoln sickens and outrages me. I have to detach from my feelings about it or they'd overwhelm me.

For weeks after the election I walked around looking at co-workers, neighbors, people on the bus, etc. -- people I knew or at least was acquainted with -- and wonder if they'd voted for him. But in most cases I really didn't want to know, because knowing that about people I couldn't avoid -- possibly even people I had to work with every day -- would just make things harder.

ETA: Also, a number of people I love, including my daughter, are for various reasons particularly vulnerable in the face of the bigotry and hatred that Trump (IMO) enables.
Old 23 October 2017, 07:12 PM

Icon81

Dawn, your right hand is still a bit ouchy, so be careful about putting weight on it and/or flexing it too much! There is probably some soft-tissue injury in there as well! Take it easy! You don't wanna have to go see an orthopedist do ya?
Old 23 October 2017, 08:05 PM

thorny, the sun's still out. Dark's coming early now. Get off the computer and back out in the field. You were only supposed to be checking the list and the weather!
Old 24 October 2017, 03:05 PM

Accepting that aspect of yourself does not mean you will never have complicated or negative feelings about it, or about the way it affects your life. Conversely, having those feelings doesn't mean you've failed at acceptance. Just deal with the feelings and keep on as you are, you're fine.
Old 25 October 2017, 08:01 AM

I've also been avoiding the news because I can't handle it. I feel like I'm neglecting my civic duty by not staying informed, but I try to tell myself I'm still involved. I'm still donating my time and money (and now blood--just gave my second pint!) to various causes I care about. I just need to conserve my energy, and following the news takes it out of me.