snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > The Bad Gastronomer

Old 12 October 2017, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
A few years ago I read somewhere (or possibly heard on NPR) in one of the numerous stories about how millennials are different from older generations that supposedly millennials are more likely to be swayed by a label indicating the presence of a positive thing (Such as "Good source of protein!") as opposed to one indicating the absence of a negative thing (Like "Fat free!"). So maybe that attitude is changing.
Personally I see no difference. You should look at the product as a whole and not only just what is in there or what isn't in there.

Good source of protein? but how much fat or sugar is in there, and do you need more protein?

Fat free ok but how much sugar is in there and does it have any nutritious value?
Old 12 October 2017, 12:34 PM

And do you actually need it fat free? An entirely fat free diet would make you pretty sick.

You need to be looking not only at the product as a whole, but at the overall diet as a whole.

But I meant, also, that, say, 'oatmeal, dried apricots, honey' or for that matter 'oatmeal, corn syrup, glucose, sucrose, molasses, honey, as few dried apricots as we could get away with and still have them on the label' is often in tiny print somewhere on the back of the label, while "FAT FREE" is in huge print on the front.
Old 12 October 2017, 02:58 PM

I'm with Dasla - it will just change how advertisers deceive, not whether they will. Now, they can get away with saying "fat free" for something that is basically pure sugar and would never have fat. If people become less likely to care about what it doesn't have, and goes with what it does have, they can change it to "natural source of energy", and still just be sugar.
Old 12 October 2017, 03:03 PM

In addition to the questions Dasla mentioned, how does the food into your overall diet that day/week?